• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion live action movie.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroineko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else heard about this? I think its interesting that people are making a live action move out of Evangelion. Heres a good site: http://neon-genesis-evangelion.moviechronicles.com/?rd=1
Anyways what do you think about this and how it'll turn out?
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kuroineko wrote:
Anyone else heard about this? I think its interesting that people are making a live action move out of Evangelion. Heres a good site: http://neon-genesis-evangelion.moviechronicles.com/?rd=1
Anyways what do you think about this and how it'll turn out?

I think... its still worth the wait. The suspense of it all is also killing me.
Before the hype of the other anime(s) being brought to the live screen, I am still waiting. The video, doesn't seem to show anything else that is new to me. It's pretty much the same of what I have read or heard officially. Still, the extra vid is a way for giving the extra energy to keep me going.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
As far as know, the movie is on hold. I haven't read anything that would indicate that it has started production; I'm sure that the ANN "newsdesk" would have posted an article if they had reliable information.

As for the concept of a live-action remake itself, I'm not so sure. It would be a great way to introduce people to Evangelion. I just question the vision it would have. How faithful would it be? I don't like large parts of EVA (like the end), but would a live-action keep the show's sense of humour, its psychological aspects, mature themes, and the quirky cast?

I just cannot warm myself up to such a movie, at least until I can see a trailer. Even then, early trailers for The Dark Knight caused me some concern. But anyway, with current live-action movies in production (notably the Dragonball one) taking great liberties with the characterisation and plot, I am dreading what will happen to EVA.

The inclusion of Weta Workshops promises some great special effects and scenery, should the movie ever be made. Look here for their production sketches.* But everything else is at risk of being made to look like a disaster, should they get the wrong director and studio.

Finally, I question how there will be a live-action movie when the remake movies are still under production (and will be for ages). Yes, one could argue about tying it all into one; they can market the remakes and the live-action together as a single package. But that assumes there is lots of money to make a huge spectacle movie in the first place, let alone a movie which may be redundant.

Takes a little while to load.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it'll be interesting, i mean the movie itself could end up being a bit lengthy depending on what they want to have in the story and what they choose to leave out but i'm definitely looking forward to it. Neon Genesis Evangelion just seems to be a show that would fit a movie, if done right. However the reactions to it, well i'm sure there are going to be quite a bit who aren't happy becuase some people will be disappointed wiht what they choose to put into the movie and what they don't. I hope they put in elements to the story that i enjoyed, but still, whether they do or not, it'll still be an interesting experience seeing a flick of that nature.

And dtm42, it's interesting you mention the Dragonball Live Action... i personally think neither of the 3 shows in the Dragonball Franchise fit movie format... i mean there are the like 13 movies they made but those are more like extended episodes where it takes them a little to kill an opponent but they do it rather fast (compared to like cell and buu and baby and what not). I think Eva is quite the contrary, and i'm excited to see if my prediction happens to be correct, i hope so.

-Elfen12-
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, the fact that there's apparently been no movement on it for a year is a bad sign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This movie has been "in production" since 2004 at least. Make of that what you will.

It could mean the movie just needs some high-level executive rubberstamping the money for it. After all, if it has survived this long without being completely cancelled, then its possible that it is still a feasible project.

Perhaps they are waiting for the right Director.

Maybe they need someone's approval in terms of movie rights, and the lawyers are duking it out.

Or, it might be a clue that there are serious problems with the entire production, such as infighting or the like.

We just don't know. Speculation can only go so far until it descends into madness (or something of the sort). Eh. I don't want to go mad, so I'll stop.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Uhh, yeah. Just give it until 2020 or so and then they'll probably announce the main members of the cast Smile
CrystalSaurTower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This could be going the route of the dread Gundam SEED movie. The story writer gets sick and it still hasn't been released by the second season of 00!
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Uhh, yeah. Just give it until 2020 or so and then they'll probably announce the main members of the cast Smile

I doubt that. As I remember right, there was an article stating that the movie hopefully gets released between the year 2010 and 2014.
Thinking about it, there should be some consensus in establishing the cast and crew for a few years now that they have a developed concept of the movie.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the progress of the live action movie as well. Progress might be the wrong word as there practically hasn't been any for a while but I do still think it will be picked up eventually by someone. The casting and script will be what makes or breaks any live action adaptation of Evangelion. It is encouraging that WETA are/will be involved in the production but without an accurate and believable portrayal of Shinji, Asuka and Rei, I think it will fall flat on it's face.

I almost feel sorry for who ever it is that eventually gets cast and has to read up on what sort of character they are portraying.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
I almost feel sorry for who ever it is that eventually gets cast and has to read up on what sort of character they are portraying.

That's assuming that the movie will accurately portray the characters, instead of completely changing them to fit "American tastes". They had better be spot-on, at least as much as can be expected by live actors.

Of course, with the movie seemingly years away from any developments, we don't have to worry about casting quite yet.
Paludis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
This has a 99% chance of being absolutely awful, so I'm really hoping it never gets made. The only person who could make a live action Eva is Anno himself, not some hollywood idiot who will undoubtedly completely miss the point and turn it into another robot action snorefest.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
Ikari1 wrote:

I don't even know how they could possibly cast the movie correctly anyway. Plus after the success of transformers this movie would be a bunch of fighting robots anyway.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
true however this would be giant mecha piloted by humans-emotionaly screwed up people but its the humans controling weapons like this that attracts some people-heck its what gets me
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
G-mofactor wrote:
I doubt that. As I remember right, there was an article stating that the movie hopefully gets released between the year 2010 and 2014.
Thinking about it, there should be some consensus in establishing the cast and crew for a few years now that they have a developed concept of the movie.

Was meant to be a sarcastic statement meaning that they probably don't know themselves when they'll be able to get this project off the ground and into theaters. Even if it does, this movie will be one of few where I would turn into a hypocrite and attack the movie for being terrible before it even gets released. Although I would also think that a majority of people would side with my views of how terrible the movie would seem. I have never seen the anime, nor its movies, read the manga and said WTF, and make money off buying EVA products for cheap and selling them on Ebay. That's EVA to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8