• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keijo!!!!!!!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Assassin Eclipse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
After witnessing Sayaka's moves, I wish to say that this show deserves an A+ in creativity
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
^Certainly among fanservice shows it is most creative. I would also say those moves also showed Keijo!!!!!!!! has the most apt and creative censorship, with it seeming more like a battle shonen aura than even primarily censorship. They manage not only to integrate the fanservice with the shonen/sports aspect, butt hey...er but they (freudian slip or most apt typo ever Cool ) also integrate the censorship as well. Bravo Keijo!!!!!!!! Let's give a big round a--big round of applause to Keijo!!!!!!!!
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
Of all the techniques she could have pulled with an erect nipple (i never in my life expected to say that sentence) a spoiler[modified Ippon seoi nage] wasn't one of them, despite her judo skills. Kudos on both originality and using a RL technique that actually is all about your ass.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
The only reason I like this is the flood of jojo memes that came from this and mixed together with this such as this gem here.........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEzmThYsTg
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
And this isn't even the final episode. I hope that can top this.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'm starting to wonder whether the original manga mightn't have been written by a horny 12 year old boy, a la Axe Cop.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
"Hum, this sport has just caused my daughter to rip off the bottom part of her swimsuit and show her erect nipple in front of a full stadium of at least 50 000 peoples. What a great sport that I now respect!"

In all seriousness it's impressive how far the show goes in fan service without actually seeming that inappropriate.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Someone above made a comment about the creative use of "spirit of shonen" attack form as censorship. That's something that I had intended to bring up in the review of ep 9 but just forgot. I also thought that was an especially slick way to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I found it interesting that this episode paralleled with the Girlish Number episode in that a father learns to respect a career he initially did not want his daughter to pursue. Both good episodes, both good dads, although I imagine a father would not be so supportive of Keijo after his daughter wedgied her swimsuit to nonexistence and took her top off. Although you don't wear much in sumo anyways, so maybe I'm not being fair.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
although I imagine a father would not be so supportive of Keijo after his daughter wedgied her swimsuit to nonexistence and took her top off. Although you don't wear much in sumo anyways, so maybe I'm not being fair.

I'd imagine that he was too distracted by his daughter moving faster than what the human eye can see and the epic judo throw to care, much like many viewers.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I actually cheered when Miyata pulled the Nipple Full Shoulder Throw. That has to be the most creative fanservice action move I have ever witnessed!

This series really has the hallmarks of a fun sports/tournament anime including the reluctant family member who eventually supports one of the characters in this case Miyata's dad. Even when Fujisaki got knocked off, I was surprisingly tense if Miyata would be able to defeat the girl without her W Acceleration technique. Wasn't worried that Mio would win but...she really enjoys getting the girls off the platform if you catch my drift.

Too bad the DVD/BD aren't selling well because I would love a second season of this but, with international Keijo players. Such a fun show!! Smile
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nobody commenting on the retouched OP? I loved the redone sequence of Nozomi launching the Vacuum Cannon, along with some other stuff that felt much more fluid.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Too bad the DVD/BD aren't selling well because I would love a second season of this but, with international Keijo players. Such a fun show!! Smile

BD sales aren't going to be the major turning point on whether we have S2 or not. Regardless, I hope they make some OVAs with the material they skipped from the manga (about 30 chapters of introducing Nozomi, Miyata and a couple of tests and some characters, we knew about Miyata's whole conflict waaay before this arc). In any way, the manga isn't that far ahead from this arc, but I do recommending it all from the start, the fanservice is (in my opinion) better and at times less censored (at least three or four chapters with full-naked girls IIRC), but it's as enjoying as the anime.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
^What chapter is this arc taking place in just in case season 2 isn't greenlit? I usually check out the manga after a show finishes and the source material is ongoing unless, in rare cases like March Comes in Like a Lion, where I actually read before the anime.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
^What chapter is this arc taking place in just in case season 2 isn't greenlit? I usually check out the manga after a show finishes and the source material is ongoing unless, in rare cases like March Comes in Like a Lion, where I actually read before the anime.

The anime should end around chapter 87, volume 9. The anime skipped most of the background context up until chapter 35 or so, they covered some stuff like Kawai's fight and the first test but I really recommend reading the entrance exam and the second test, they're better at building the characters and as fun as the rest of the anime. A shame that there was no way to adapt everything faithfully unless we had to wait for the currrent arc so we could have everything with the East-West war included.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
you now this show is doing something, when nobody complains about the tentacles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12