• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball simply can't work as live-action product. This movie looks terrible. It's on a Street Fighter: The Movie level.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Sakechan: I agree that it needs planning, but methinks that they didn't really plan it out very well in the first place, and that they're just tweaking the FX, and hoping to pass it as something presentable enough to make its money back a la LXG.

Quote:

What? Are you saying Maguire's a pro-wrestler?

No, but I doubt he did his own stunts during that railway car scene in the second film.

Quote:
I bet you $20 that there are probably some Asians named Goku.

Nick-named, maybe. Short for something longer, more likely.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sakechan:
Quote:

They are done filming. Done. Finito. Completus. Post-production.

Then the latest it should be out is December, not April.

Hollywood doesn't follow such arbitrary rules. The upcoming Star Trek film also finished principal photography in March of 2008, but it's coming out in May of 2009.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
testor: Star Trek 0 already has an official site and teaser ads and pics. The only thing we got for DB is a logo and the actors placed against bad photoshop backgrounds.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: Star Trek 0 already has an official site and teaser ads and pics. The only thing we got for DB is a logo and the actors placed against bad photoshop backgrounds.

Again, pick a side. First you say they're rushing things. Now you say they aren't teasing enough.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
testor: I can argue that they're rushing things, because they don't have a teaser. They're just hoping to stall as long as they can, by putting out random set photos, since they clearly don't even have concept art to show us like we're getting from Batman and Iron Man. But since Wong is the director, we might get something in front of the X-Files movie-if we're lucky.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Simply amazing. I hope this isn't all we're going to be talking about until 2009. So GATSU, are you for or against the movie?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: I can argue that they're rushing things, because they don't have a teaser. They're just hoping to stall as long as they can

So "they're rushing things"...but "they're just hoping to stall as long as they can." Okay...

Pick an argument, and stick with it. Wink
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Now even I'm confused as to what GATSU is talking about. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Quote:
Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

By adapting the source manga, from the beginning, not in the middle of it, therefore leaving out characters and plot lines that set up the said part being adapted.

Hell, let's just start with a premise that doesn't involve Goku being in high school.
Hey! I got an idea! why don't they sign up the entire staff and actors of the WWE? Then that would really make it just like the manga and anime. Whadaya think? Yeah? They would all then have the bodies and the minds to match.

So according to you

= ??

Fail.
Naw mate! Get the Undertaker to shave, a wig, a little CGi, and he'll be perfect.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

What? Are you saying Maguire's a pro-wrestler?

No, but I doubt he did his own stunts during that railway car scene in the second film.

...What's your argument again? That even though Spiderman was played by a wimpy dude, his stunts were done by a pro-wrestler, which is why Goku should be played by a pro-wrestler? What? You have completely lost me in your roundabout pseduo-argument.

Quote:
Quote:
I bet you $20 that there are probably some Asians named Goku.

Nick-named, maybe. Short for something longer, more likely.

Because you know the names of everyone on this planet. That's a completely valid argument to make. Oh wait.

Gatsu, I think you love typing for the sake of typing. If only you could stay on message and have consistent arguments.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:

So "they're rushing things"...but "they're just hoping to stall as long as they can."

They're rushing the final product, but they're hoping to stall any likely negative reactions to it, by leaking as few teasers as possible, thus creating interest, rather than ambivalence.

Sakechan:
Quote:
even though Spiderman was played by a wimpy dude, his stunts were done by a pro-wrestler, which is why Goku should be played by a pro-wrestler? What?

He was played by a wimpy dude out of costume, but not in costume. Thus the only way a guy in costume could pull off DBZ is if he was a wrestler.

Quote:

Because you know the names of everyone on this planet.

No, just Japan. Laughing
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They're rushing the final product

So you're still saying "they're rushing the final product," after insisting "it should be out is December, not April." Heh, you're still talking from both sides of the mouth.
Karasu416

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
i can honostly say i could care less if this movie sucked. sure the picture may be a dissapointment but im going to wait for the trailer. even if the movie sucks idc im gonna go see it anyways.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Your post was made of fail: you fail at sarcasm, you fail at being clever and you fail at logic. The amount of FAIL that you alone brought into this topic is enough to make a 4chan user become an hero.

Sorry, but Chibi does not fail.
I just thought your sarcasm sucked.
Sorry that my post was way too illogical for you to understand. Don't care for 4chan either. Anime smile

>.>; using "fail" so much... too bad your post hit the same level. Anyway, contribute to the topic like everyone else, or just don't post. If you feel like arguing with me any further, feel free to PM me instead of spamming. =D

*roll.* going back on topic here.

>.>; Speaking of stunt doubles; I was just reminded of Justin's stunt double. His name is Jackson Spidell. You can check his work on youtube.

The names of the crew members that are working on the movies have done big box office hits, such as 300, Pirates of the Carribean,Spiderman, and Sin City. I don't know if this makes anyone feel a bit better about the movie or not, but it was worth a shot. If no one does, oh well. However, I thought this bit of info would be helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10