• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Sues CA Retail Sites over Alleged Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
yay for funi. bootlegs are baaaaaaaaad.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Just as a reminder for everyone, the likely reason for the long delay in suing is probably a mixture of trying to work it out without getting the legal system involved and wanting to gather some decent evidence. As the son of a lawyer, I can tell you that a good lawyer can utterly destroy a lawsuit that lacks enough evidence, even if there is actually enough to prove wrongdoing. Plus, judges and juries can and do come up with some very strange ideas in the court room.

And appeals take forever to get through, especially if they have to go to the state Supreme Court. The whole process of a lawsuit can take years and the whole time you're spending money on the lawyer and court fees for filing crap. There's no guarantee you'll even get anything in the end.

*Edit: Minor, left out a word.

Last edited by Richard J. on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
numerrik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Arcwave wrote:
Bah! I remember I bought an Elfen Lied set there for around $20 and it was bootlegged. Terrible quality and the subs were broken EVERYWHERE!

I don't mean to be rude, but what did you think you were getting for $20.00? Any anime set selling for $20.00 is either a bootleg or just a crappy anime.

Not entirely true, Short animes and OAVs get the entire set on one DVD and those go for about $20. Golden boy is like that, and i hope FLCL does that some day, maybe a viridian collection.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It's better late than never.Now if they would go after illegal streaming sites and those video sites like veoh and youtube which has dub epsiodes of claymore and those fansubers,then they'll seriously send a message cause fansubs sucks like hell. Also, I'll gladly prefer the 4kids versions over fansubs any day of the week cause some are actually good.
I find that statement to be quite hypocritical coming from someone with a Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS avatar when the first season won't be released in R1 until December. Confused
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I get those people who are buying bootlegs of anime that is no longer distributed in the US, like Geneon Titles (I accidentally bought a Trigun bootleg), but DBZ and Fullmetal Alchemist are all out on DVD and DB GT is coming out soon. Stick with legitimate sites like Best Buy, Circuit City or Amazon, or Right Stuf, because we know they're completely legit, just beware secondary sellers.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Gamestop stopped carrying used DVDs I think. Both Gamestop and FYE will only take used discs when the UPC code matches their database. Bootlegs seldom (ever?) use the real UPC code, so I think it fairly unlikely one would show up in their stores.

They still carry Used DVD's, but their trying to liquidate any remaining stock left in the store system. I occasionally see some new stuff "pop-up" in the Used DVD bin amongst the broken CSI/Star Trek Boxsets and crappy "Public Domain" stuff with price tags from like 5 years ago.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
SunDevilDVD should be next on the hit list they sell bootleg DVD, they're the ones who sent me my bootleg Trigun.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Finaly the time has come were the anime industry takes back what is theirs, the stolen market wich Bootlegs have taken!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Gamestop stopped carrying used DVDs I think. Both Gamestop and FYE will only take used discs when the UPC code matches their database. Bootlegs seldom (ever?) use the real UPC code, so I think it fairly unlikely one would show up in their stores.

I haven't seen used dvds in Gamestop stores here in San Diego since just after Christmas.
They did, on the other hand, have lots of bootlegs. They were pretty good for a time, but then the clerks who knew better left & the new ones obviously didn't care. I've seen bootleg GTO, Witch Hunter Robin, Gundam Seed, FLCL, & a few others there. It was always certain stores that seemed to not realize/care.
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'll gladly prefer the 4kids versions over fansubs any day of the week cause some are actually good.

Any other company I agree with you but 4Kids are unforgivable.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I just now came accross this story Embarassed

Phantom14 wrote:
Finaly the time has come were the anime industry takes back what is theirs, the stolen market wich Bootlegs have taken!

Yes. This is definitely a good first step; personally I think taking out the bootleggers should be a bigger priority than the subbers who don't honor liscenses. Both are harmful, but bootleggers actually make profit off of other people's hard work, and that is just downright dispiccable Mad

I remember when I was making that point to a friend and she was like "isn't that the same as downloading music?" Eh, no... downloading music doesn't put money into the pockets of criminals. If people are fine with that, then they really do have zero morals.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
It's better late than never.Now if they would go after illegal streaming sites and those video sites like veoh and youtube which has dub epsiodes of claymore and those fansubers,then they'll seriously send a message cause fansubs sucks like hell. Also, I'll gladly prefer the 4kids versions over fansubs any day of the week cause some are actually good.
I find that statement to be quite hypocritical coming from someone with a Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS avatar when the first season won't be released in R1 until December. Confused

I've never seen the series.Only the h-doujinshi of them.Just because i have the av for it doesn't mean i've actually seen it.I'm waiting for the dub versions to come out.Already preodered the Box Set for Season 1.

Also "Redhandgrunt" You may not forgive them,but i do cause

[/b]#1) "It ain't their fault.They had to comply with the US's FCC rules and regulations OR risk getting fined and/or shut downed and their CEO's can end up in federal Jail.Cause in an old article on the site,that CEO from Media Blasters admited that he's a chicken ass with with comes to going to jail,and the FCC is doing this "in order to protecting the children from TV Violence", which is so dumb,so i blame the US gov't for these dumb ass regulations and not 4kids who's just obeying the govt[/b]

[/b]And #2) they did well with both the pokemon and yugioh series so the're not that bad,and i liked their versions of one piece. Sure they made a mess of Tokyo Mew Mew,but as a guy who watches english dubs only, it's ok alongs as the series is supported legaly. And besides Compared to what Pionneer did to the dub versions of sailormoon super S and Ikkitousen,and what viz media did to Rannma 1/2,and what Adv films did to the uncut versions of Saint Seiya, the 4kids dub was better than those disasters anyday. AM i wrong?[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
InTraining

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ohhhh my.. I bought YP issue 1 and pre ordered Zombie Loan 4 from discount anime, which wasn't supposed to be shipped till the 31st last month... The sites been down for a while now, and I have no way of telling if I'm really going to get my items.. There's no way of contacting these guys either. I spent $18, so its not much, but is there any way to get it back, possibly..? Confused
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
InTraining wrote:
ohhhh my.. I bought YP issue 1 and pre ordered Zombie Loan 4 from discount anime, which wasn't supposed to be shipped till the 31st last month... The sites been down for a while now, and I have no way of telling if I'm really going to get my items.. There's no way of contacting these guys either. I spent $18, so its not much, but is there any way to get it back, possibly..? Confused

I think the only way you're gong to get a refund is if a judge orders the owners to pay back their customers.
icenectar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Man I wish I had known about that before I made a bunch of pre-orders. The site was suggested to me since I was having a hard time finding manga titles. I handed over like $200 to them. It was mainly for manga (as mentioned) and a few CDs. I think I have bought some DVDs from them but they seem to be official. All the manufacturer names I recognized and the discount wasn't all that much (but I could be confusing my sites. Been awhile since I've bought anime) Since I used my bank account to purchase them, is it likely that I can just ask the bank to revoke that amount or would it be better to just wait it out?

I was wondering why I wasn't getting any reply to my e-mails...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10