• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Air Digimon Fusion Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a 4 year old is going to know any better. And anyone old enough to know it's not true is not in Nickelodeon's demographic anyway so they don't care what they think.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't think a 4 year old is going to know any better. And anyone old enough to know it's not true is not in Nickelodeon's demographic anyway so they don't care what they think.
4? I'd hope they'd at LEAST go for the 8-12 year old boy demographic. And you'd be surprised how much a 10 year old will know about their favorite shows.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
progress i guess
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow! The real, honest to god Nickelodeon? NOT Nicktoons? AWESOME!!!! Hopefully this means more anime will be headed for the big Nick too. Though I don't doubt reruns will be on Nicktoons, just having the show on Nick at all is awesome!

I'm pretty sure this show is being marketed to the 7-14 demographic, which is the correct demographic for these shows in Japan (just with lower censorship standards).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the naysayers are already out in force. Always fun.

I actually didn't even notice the 'longest running anime' thing though, ack. Laughing Any chance it was just bad wording on their part and they meant to say 'longest running Digimon anime'? Because it is that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

>_> I know its like they don't love seeing anime get butchered and dumbed down for kids or something.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

>_> I know its like they don't love seeing anime get butchered and dumbed down for kids or something.

Who wouldn't. I've always found Digimon to be a decision between two evils. The dubs for the most part are strong and well executed, but the shows do have edits. Though I've found the original Japanese rather lackluster and some voices like Aguman's straight grating. It's sad that the kid anime tends to get some solid voice work.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but Digimon is a kid's show. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the original uncut version as well, and I really wish such changes didn't have to happen to it to get it on TV here - but it kinda does. That Minervamon character alone, and honestly, I'm almost completely unfazed by any editing done to her, because that's more fanservice than Digimon ever needed to function before, I don't know why they felt the need to do it now. And this is coming from a guy that loves his fan-service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but Digimon is a kid's show.

So is most of the stuff that airs on Adult Swim, and best selling series like Naruto and One Piece. Aparently show for little children in Japan have enough depth to appeal to adults here without the need of retooling it.

Quote:
That Minervamon character alone, and honestly, I'm almost completely unfazed by any editing done to her, because that's more fanservice than Digimon ever needed to function before, I don't know why they felt the need to do it now. And this is coming from a guy that loves his fan-service.

You act like Digimon never had fanservice before. If anything Xros Wars is pretty toned down in comparison; it never had straight up nudity like the first series did. Just because you don't like fanservice doesn't mean it's okay to edit it out.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So is most of the stuff that airs on Adult Swim, and best selling series like Naruto and One Piece. Aparently show for little children in Japan have enough depth to appeal to adults here without the need of retooling it.

You're right, those are still aimed at kids - but I'd say that Digimon is aimed at a slightly lower age bracket if I were guessing. I have no proof of this mind you though, so I fully admit I could be wrong on this one. The fact remains though that it's a kid's show, and unless it manages to land on a late night block like Naruto now has, it's gonna see some edits to get on TV here. That's just how it is.

What makes Digimon different from Naruto or One Piece in that regard is that we don't have a physical DVD release of the uncut version of Digimon, and that's definitely a shame. At this point sadly, the only way we'd ever get that for the old Digimon titles (Adventure through Savers) is with a sub-only set, as the dubs were made with no uncut version ever in mind. They have/had the chance to change that with this series, but...that's probably not very likely either.

Quote:
You act like Digimon never had fanservice before. If anything Xros Wars is pretty toned down in comparison; it never had straight up nudity like the first series did. Just because you don't like fanservice doesn't mean it's okay to edit it out.

Apparently you missed the part where I mentioned loving fanservice. I thrive on the stuff if it's done well - Girls Bravo is probably my favorite harem title ever, and that's more well-written fanservice than you're ever likely to see in another series.

No, what gets me is gratuitous fan-service in Digimon itself, a show that never really needed it before to do well. There's some nudity in Adventure very briefly, and occasional shots in Tamers, via the whole Biomerging thing - but I wouldn't call any of that 'fanservice' by any means. They weren't meant to get your interest, the moments in Adventure were meant to be funny from what I remember, and the ones in Tamers were more of an artistic choice thing.

Then there's the 'Sexy Dynamite' bit in Frontier. That one's kinda borderline for me. While it's a little more than I'd like in Digimon, I give it a pass mainly because it was all in Zoe's head. It's how she's imagining herself - I could see that being something a girl like her would do, so while it's definitely fanservice and meant to grab your attention as such, it's still played for humor more than it is titillation.

And as far as Minervamon goes, I'm mixed honestly. I almost don't mind that she'd be edited because yeesh, that was pretty unneeded in the series. But on the other hand, I'm personally against edits unless we get an equally uncut version as well, and that's probably not gonna happen here, so I'm technically against it as well.

The too-long-didn't-read bullet point: I like fan-service, just not in my Digimon.

Also, my main point here really is this - Digimon has always been a series that gets an edited dub on TV here, for kids. It should serve as no surprise that it's happening again. So while I can agree and understand the disappointment, is it really a surprise at this point? It's the same as the same old hating against the old DBZ dubs, except that has long since been rectified - Digimon has yet to sadly, but my point still stands that we get it, you hate the edits, you hate the dub, this is clearly not the product for you - but some of us are going to enjoy it just the same.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Quote:
the longest-running Japanese anime property.

Other than that, coolie! I love me some Digimon!

Sazae-san would like a word.
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Now somebody just needs to release Digimon Tamers on DVD in America and I'll be happy.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Zebra wrote:
Now somebody just needs to release Digimon Tamers on DVD in America and I'll be happy.

As far as the dub version goes, I'm betting New Video will release 'Season Three' on DVD before the end of the year, since Season One did well for them and Season Two is coming out on March 26th.

As far as the sub goes, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that maybe they'll see the demand for a subbed uncut release and also put out a separate release for that, even if it had to be like, special order or something. I'd double dip to have both.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

You're right, those are still aimed at kids - but I'd say that Digimon is aimed at a slightly lower age bracket if I were guessing. I have no proof of this mind you though, so I fully admit I could be wrong on this one. The fact remains though that it's a kid's show, and unless it manages to land on a late night block like Naruto now has, it's gonna see some edits to get on TV here. That's just how it is.

Digimon would fail if aimed at older audience in US TV anyways, like how Adult Swim tried Detective Conan / Case Closed - it's not for children US TV, but it also wasn't up for the older crowd.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

No, what gets me is gratuitous fan-service in Digimon itself, a show that never really needed it before to do well.

Gratuitous fanservice in anime is like gratuitous violence in US media - it's ingrained. Laughing
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
violence, nudity and sex

People watch children's shows for that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4