• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kampfer DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood-

The thing is, spoiler[Keade] is annoying both as a love interest, and as a villain.
And when you realize that she wasn't just spoiler[dense as hell, but simply egging on the series], I almost yelled for how much episodes they wasted on this wild goose chase.
At the very least, they should've had the lead thinking of the other women.
Heh, reminds me when the orange-haired chick asked him to do just that, only to prove that he is as stupid as he looks! Quite possibly the funniest moment in the series for me...

I mean, mentioning Shizuka as a plus, was probably the truest thing Key said about Kampfer; she has so much potential! If not for a fighter, than fuel for character development, etc.

Basically, this whole series is a symbol for why this sort of anime is literally killing the industry; it's one of the laziest genres in existence, does not encourage anything inspirational, and, heck, it doesn't even take itself seriously.... enough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
@Otaking09 - the more you write about what you didn't like about the show, the more I am convinced that your reasons are more subjective and particular to you as opposed to more general reasons that could apply to virtually anybody. Naturally, all opinion is subjective, but there are elements which, for the lack of a better term, are more "objective" in nature.

For example, even though you hated the series and I mostly liked it, we can both agree that dropping the action line is not an example of good writing. Good writing means that when you establish something, you follow through with it, as opposed to dropping it without any sort of compelling rationale.

However, your opinion that Kaede was annoying as a love interest is more of a subjective judgment (which is not to say that others don't agree with you). I actually liked her as a love interest because it was hilarious to me that she ONLY liked Dude when he was a Lady. It amused me that a guy who was totally crazy for a chick could only get her attention when he switched genders.

But, as always - different strokes for different folks, etc.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood-

I'm certainly not saying that my opinion is written in stone. But the sheer blatancy not allowing.... anything to proceed(remember this was based on light novels! this means that they don't really have to follow it word for word, just so long as they get what they planned all in there).
I know there's no real basis for what's annoying or cool. But when such things arise, the least you can do is note them, or state the fact that the possibility exists.
Like you said, good writing establishes connection, and all of Keade's actions, whether negative or.... positive, did nothing whatsoever to proceed anything.
She literally held back the show. That alone is there no matter how much I cared or didn't about her.

As for how you liked her, I can't believe you weren't ticked when she revealed that spoiler[she wouldn't have liked him as a person anyway, just as a gender.] Because, if it were me, I'd be PISSED!!!
And.... what do we see from our "hero of the month".... lemmee guess, nothing!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while Shizuka was hands-down the best thing about this series, it's kind of a crappy show. I enjoyed it, and I'm going to watch the sequel, but I'd not call it good. I must admit though, I did like spoiler[Kaede as a villain. It does make her false vapidity feel a little more grating, but she's such a delightfully evil character.]
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
No Kampfer love Sad

Oh well. Everyone's too focused on the lack of action. If you approached it as more of just a comedy/harem you'd probably enjoy it more. Of course, if that's not your thing, your not gonna enjoy it. It's not like Kampfer's trying to be the next FLCL or Cowboy Bebop, it's just trying to make you laugh.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the gender bending, the designs, Shizuka, some of the jokes, and of course the bowel familiars. I liked who the villain turned out to be. I didn't really mind that there wasn't much action, just that the action seemed lame. What bugged me was that it all felt incomplete and I wasn't particularly satisfied when it ended. So it was mildly entertaining but not thoroughly satisfying a C therefore seems appropriate to me certainly not more than a C+ and a D seems too harsh, I think there's worse stuff out there.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
No Kampfer love Sad

Oh well. Everyone's too focused on the lack of action. If you approached it as more of just a comedy/harem you'd probably enjoy it more. Of course, if that's not your thing, your not gonna enjoy it. It's not like Kampfer's trying to be the next FLCL or Cowboy Bebop, it's just trying to make you laugh.

I heavily agree. I personally enjoyed Kampfer oddly for the same reason i really enjoyed Aika and liked Burn Up! Excess. It doesn't try to be really good or take itself seriously. Expect fanservice and silly situations and hot chicks. In the harem kinky comedy genre it's probably a bit better than other similar series and the lesbian elements are a bit different. Aika had a lesbian couple as well, but this series accepts that most of the girls of the harem don't care about Natsuru's female form, they all know he's really a guy.

Shizuku was a pretty cool character and Akane is funny because nobody would expect the nerdy librarian girl to be so perverted, but Mikoto hands down is my favorite of the bunch. Save for Natsuru's annoying classmates, the lack of showlight for Mikoto hurt the show for me.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I heavily agree. I personally enjoyed Kampfer oddly for the same reason i really enjoyed Aika and liked Burn Up! Excess. It doesn't try to be really good or take itself seriously. Expect fanservice and silly situations and hot chicks. In the harem kinky comedy genre it's probably a bit better than other similar series and the lesbian elements are a bit different. Aika had a lesbian couple as well, but this series accepts that most of the girls of the harem don't care about Natsuru's female form, they all know he's really a guy.

Shizuku was a pretty cool character and Akane is funny because nobody would expect the nerdy librarian girl to be so perverted, but Mikoto hands down is my favorite of the bunch. Save for Natsuru's annoying classmates, the lack of showlight for Mikoto hurt the show for me.

No, Kiss x Sis is something that you absolutely CAN'T take seriously. At least that show made use of typical shenanigans.
What made Kampfer fail was that it followed things TOO much by the book, that and it's lead character's stupidity makes Fractale's Clain look like he has Dr. Tenma's medical knowledge...
And when the supporting characters are more likable than the lead characters... well, just look at Naruto(Rock Lee and Shikamaru FTW!)
That being said, I liked the camaraderie that three underlings developed for the sake of their hapless crush.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2