• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[kind of OT] American comics reccomendations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
There are actually alot more Sandman-related products than mentioned here. The series is basically Vertigos cash cow, and there have been a ton of crap created with only the vaugest relation to the actual series. Even Gaiman has done some pretty mediocre stuff under within the Sandman universe. I'd stick with the basic 11 trades and if you want more of his stuff, go with Mr. Punch (arguably is most sophisticated work), Violent Cases or Books of Magic.
I've heard news that Fantagraphics will be republishing Los Bros Hernandez' Love and Rockets in "manga" format. This is a fantastic series and arguably started the alternative comic movement of the 1980's, so I'd encourage anyone looking for smart litterature to check it out.
It's pretty easy to bash superhero comics with the amount of repetative, generic crap that's released every year (though the US manga industry is pretty bad as well), but there are some truely fantastic stories out there revolving aroung men in tights. The big two everyone always drools over (with good reason) are Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. The first is a true litterature take on the genre, and probobly the first comic to make superheroes three dimensional characters. The second re-imagines Batman as a angry, middle-aged nutcase, prowling a satirical, Regan-era Gotham. Both are superb. Other noteworthy entires into the genre are Concrete, Top 10, All-Star Superman, The New Frontier, Sleeper and recenty Batman: Year 100.
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
My two favorites are "Girl Genius" by Phil & Kaja Foglio and "Supernatural Law" by Batton Lash.

Girl Genius is a Gaslight fantasy. Sparks are super intelligent people, many whom are driven mad by their gift. One man, Baron Wolfenbach, stepped in to take control. Many sparks work for him, weather they want to or not, if they don't, they die. Agatha Clay, daughter of the famous Heterodyne family is currently on the run from the Baron. It is published online at http://www.girlgeniusonline.com. TPBs are also available.

Beware the creatures of the night, they have lawyers. Attorneys Alanna Wolff and Jeff Byrd have unusal clintes, they represent ghosts, vampires, witches and things that go bump in the night. An online version can be found at http://www.supernaturallaw.com and the comic itself is published by Exhibit A press, http://www.exhibitapress.com.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2