• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Elementary Idol Group 'Girlfriend's' Producer Bans Fan From Future Events After Incident

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
As has been pointed out by others on other websites, perhaps the dogooders of the world should stop fixating on protecting the rights of Japan's fictional 2D children and start trying to help its real ones caught up in these idol rings.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I get the whole general idol group thing kind of being like teen pop groups, but why is there even a need for an elementary idol group? Who are these peoples fans and what can their music possibly even sound like? The prospect terrifies me. Shocked

Every industry has it's niche. Other countries have had the whole 'child singer' thing. France's most noticeable one was Jordy from the early 90s.

As for their music, this is a video for another group called Peach sugar snow. Not much different from your usual J-Pop in all honesty.

-Stuart Smith
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Elementary Idol Group".
Stop the universe, I want to get off.

Pretty much.

I opened the article hoping that "Elementary" meant something else. Nope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, can't really use the word Idol as a totally Japanese thing, since American Idol is practically everywhere, franchised off to different countries for their own domestication.

Little girls in shows and other type of features, is nothing new, and is not only a Japanese thing. Though you wouldn't think it watching the comments.

Like how they say its wrong when its done in their own country, but they are more passionate about it when complaining about Japan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Elementary Idol Group".

This. This so much.

mrsatan wrote:
As has been pointed out by others on other websites, perhaps the dogooders of the world should stop fixating on protecting the rights of Japan's fictional 2D children and start trying to help its real ones caught up in these idol rings.

Oh, agreed.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Elementary Idol Group".

I bet all their "big friends" just love them.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, can't really use the word Idol as a totally Japanese thing, since American Idol is practically everywhere, franchised off to different countries for their own domestication.

Little girls in shows and other type of features, is nothing new, and is not only a Japanese thing. Though you wouldn't think it watching the comments.

Like how they say its wrong when its done in their own country, but they are more passionate about it when complaining about Japan.

It's more the fanbase attending those events that worries us than the fact that little girls are being idols for the most part, this would've never made the news if it was a group aimed at children or had a primarily child audience. The obsessive fanbase isn't really known for innocent thoughts about idols and in extreme cases don't even think of them as any normal human being outside of show business, which is why the whole concept of "purity" hasn't left the industry entirely.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BBQ Meet and Greet event with elementary schoolers?

Seriously though, that's some pretty fu--ed up shit. At which point did anyone think it'd be a good idea to have elementary schoolers in idol groups and then have them meet with their 30+ year old male fans? I've seen a lot of weird stuff, but for something that's actually a thing this probably takes the cake for being the most creepiest.

Like, it'd be cute if the fans were elementary schoolers as well. But grown men? wtf
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Except that the term "idol" as used in American Idol and the like is waaaaaaaay different than its usage in Japan. Getting someone to sell millions of downloads on iTunes is a far cry than enforcing some disturbing faux-purity narrative to a nigh-pedophilic fanbase.

Sobe wrote:
Cultural differences. Deal with it.

Cultural relativism only extends so far. Creepy **** is creepy no matter where it happens.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

"Elementary Idol Group".

And they named it "Girlfriend" too. They're enablers. What do they expect groupies would think? Laughing

Blanchimont wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Agreeing to having your child be in such a group should probably be grounds for child protective services to take your children away.

As reprehensible as this in particular, and Japan's Junior Idol industry in general, is, let's not forget Toddlers and Tiara's in your very own Land Of The Free...

Probably should be looked at with the same scorn too. Laughing
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Except that the term "idol" as used in American Idol and the like is waaaaaaaay different than its usage in Japan. Getting someone to sell millions of downloads on iTunes is a far cry than enforcing some disturbing faux-purity narrative to a nigh-pedophilic fanbase.

Sobe wrote:
Cultural differences. Deal with it.

Cultural relativism only extends so far. Creepy **** is creepy no matter where it happens.

Funny. It's not "creepy" for the religious people doing religious things here and there around the world. Rolling Eyes And it's not as challenged as much as things like in the article. Waking up on a certain day of the week and walking into a building with other people and performing certain actions like clockwork.

It's creepy watching people act like sheep. I wonder where the slaughterhouse is. Or you know, it's creepy watching people eat octopus, poison fish, or bugs but it's normal to them. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It's creepy BECAUSE of the culture it's from, cultural difference doesn't excuse it.

Sure, here we have shows that exploit little kids, but they're treated entirely differently. We have Toddlers & Tiaras, where adult males who aren't related to a contestant aren't even allowed in the room where the pageant is. We have shows like Dance Moms, where the girls' fanbase show up at competitions but their fanbase is other 8-16 yr old girls. & in both cases the point isn't the little girls, but the activities they're doing, competing in pageants or dancing well.

Here we've got little girls being exploited specifically by creepy middle aged men holding public events that cater to the desires of other creepy middle aged men. The fact that they're called Girlfriends only adds to that creepiness.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Elementary Idol Group".
The way you phrased this....>.>

Quote:
The group's producer "Gussan" expressed in the letter that they hope that they have made the rules for interacting with the group as clear as possible, so that they can continue to cultivate their group into one where the girls can have a healthy growing experience.

Because you'd think common sense on interacting with children would be enough :\
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
leesahlynn wrote:
It's creepy BECAUSE of the culture it's from, cultural difference doesn't excuse it.

Sure, here we have shows that exploit little kids, but they're treated entirely differently. We have Toddlers & Tiaras, where adult males who aren't related to a contestant aren't even allowed in the room where the pageant is. We have shows like Dance Moms, where the girls' fanbase show up at competitions but their fanbase is other 8-16 yr old girls. & in both cases the point isn't the little girls, but the activities they're doing, competing in pageants or dancing well.

Here we've got little girls being exploited specifically by creepy middle aged men holding public events that cater to the desires of other creepy middle aged men. The fact that they're called Girlfriends only adds to that creepiness.

All you're saying is basically "our culture is right and their culture is wrong." Rolling Eyes Honestly, whether it's creepy or not, they don't need you or anyone else in the world to excuse it besides their own culture. That's more than enough.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Although I do think this toddler-idol thing is creepy, it's always funny how this sort of story creates endless streams of comments about how creepy it is. I mean... you don't really need to say it. Most people think things like this are unsettling.

It's sort of like how every time some calamity occurs, all the politicians rush to their TV cameras to tell everyone how bad it is and how terrible they feel, just to make sure no one thinks they're an emotionless space lizard.

Maybe instead we should extrapolate that Japan's going to have a baby idol group next. And then embryos, and...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8