• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ben-To BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ben-to is certainly not amazing, and david production didn't exactly have the largest budget to work with, but it definitely has its charm and the fights are competently done. A lot of great girls in the series as well. Sen and Shaga are both nice in their own ways. Ume is rather... notorious. And the fujoshi girl is hilarious.

Another great point is -- the MC starts out a novice, but learns the ropes and pulls his own weight as a slightly above average fighter without being overpowered. Usually in these series with the focus on so many girls, one would expect the MC to either be dead weight or super overpowered, but he isn't. I find that actually rather refreshing that they are a team of equals for once.

I've also bought the LNs via ebook, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. =\

For those wanting a taste of what Ben-to is like, if you don't mind maybe some mild spoilers. This AMV is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdO4kTy4viI
Ben-to -- Lucky Strike

Last edited by aereus on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Does anyone know how the source LNs end? What happens to Yoh and the various bento fighters?

Volume 12 I believe.

Really, all that happens is that Yoh gets a harem, the series has multiple endings with each of the girls in his harem.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The camera tends to follow Yo's gaze (which may be why we never see Brunette's face, as she is well-endowed) rather than just focus on the sexual appeal of female characters, which may not sound like it makes much of a difference in the fan service until you see it in execution; it not only feels less exploitative this way but also gives a clearer idea of who and what Yo is being attracted to.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember consciously noticing this at the time. I only recall that the fan service didn't bother me, and now I know why, so thanks for explaining it. Smile And this is also probably why I thought it was a mistake to ever show the Brunette's face, even though normally such a trope would offend me.

Key wrote:
This comes off much more as taking a shonen action-style approach to Fight Club.

To me it always felt like a shonen action-style approach to a daily Black Friday.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It was a pretty good release, dub was a lot better than I expected. I'm glad to add it to my collection after 4 years of waiting.

I have to say the only thing that was an issue was the Subs using different titles for the characters than what the Dub used. It's practically like changing a characters name completely since most of them are used more often than their actual names.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
And to think that Ranma and Ryouga only got their training fighting over pan breads for lunch...
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
One of then much better "lesser-known" series out there. It has a lot of charm and a plot so crazy that it comes off as fairly original. I'd love to see a sequel someday, but perhaps some things aren't meant to be.

*sigh*
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Based on what KidOblivion said above about the LNs, though, it sounds like the best part of the story has already been animated. Hence, while I wouldn't mind seeing more, maybe that's for the best. (This seems to be a common problem with LN series, with the authors running out of ideas after a few volumes.)

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Really good show, I'd say in the top 5-10% show of the last decade. It started with a great premise that was clearly not real but still somewhat grounded in reality so it was easy to relate to (who doesn't like to get cheap food that they don't have to prepare?), but more importantly it mostly sticked to that premise instead of becoming just a reason for fight and/or harem, for the most part it was about getting food cheap. The show does delve a bit too much into fight for fight sake and romance toward the end, but thankfully it finish before it goes overboard and really lose what made it interesting. This make it feel simultaneously like it needed a few less episode (the last arc really wasn't that interesting) and more episode (could have used more fight, especially to give a better sense of progression of the MC).

The show is dumb, but it knows that and doesn't try to be anything more, which makes it far smarter than a dumb show that's trying to pass of as smart.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I don't know if they've replaced the streams yet, but the proper BDs do reveal Chapatsu, the brunette fighter's face in ep 12, which remained hidden in the broadcast, older Funi version.

The dub stream I finished viewing 5 days ago revealed her face in episode 12.

I would assume the sub version was also updated, but I have not verified that.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
I think there's an error in the 3rd paragraph

Quote:
Ume, who kidnaps Ume

Ume kidnaps Hime, not herself.

[EDIT: Actually not the right correction, but the error was still legitimate. It has been rectified. - Key]

I love me some Bento!
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This was a sleeper hit, in my opinion. I watched it not expecting to really like it or even finish it, but the concept was off the wall enough to give it a whirl. I ended up really enjoying it far more than I ever expected. A tasty little confection, but I'm not sure that I'd fight over the last box ... set. (Unless it was half price...)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sort of off topic but it made me think of this.

I have been in Japanese supermarkets that have a lunch counter but I have never shopped for pre-made bento. A lot of them in the show look really good for 600-700 yen. In the U.S. I have a hard time finding a decent sandwich for $6-7. (And no, Subway and Togos don't goddam count.)

Half price from that seems like a deal worth fighting for. Are those prices for real?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The concept of this sounds really crazy, but not necessarily the bad sort of crazy. Ben-to is a show that is hit or miss. It's one of those "So Crazy It's Good!" Or just plain crazy. Might check this out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
If ya guys wanna experience this, closest thing is fukubukuro - happens every new year's in Japan. Laughing

(Ours is Black Friday)
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol, Black Friday is CRAZYYY over here. People get hurt in stuff like that. Every year it's like an accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't be Black Friday if we don't have at least one viral Youtube video because of it, right? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3