• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did The Fans Kill Anime Strike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I suspect one reason for the end of Strike and the Bollywood channel is that Amazon realized it didn't need to pursue niche audiences. My only concern is that Amazon did have the licenses for most of the shows I rated most highly in 2017. Will we continue to see shows like Made in Abyss and Princess Principal without Amazon's deep pockets?

Yeah, we probably will. Remember, Amazon wasn’t really paying for the production of those shows. I think both of those are also in the hands of Sentai now. I’ve seen people worried about future home video releases, but that’s not really an issue. Sentai has the bulk of the Strike stuff and the rest of it (the Noitamina and Animeism stuff), Amazon probably doesn’t really care who gets the home video license.

But like, Made in Abyss? I highly doubt the production committee greenlit it based on the potential licensing fee. That’d be idiotic, since even now, there’s the occasional show that inexplicably falls through the cracks. Licensing fees are a great way to make up the cost after the fact, but unless the licensor is a member of the production committee (like Crunchyroll keeps turning out to be) you can’t really budget for it, since you don’t actually know how much it is.

Also, an Answerman from a few days ago pointed out that most TV anime productions nowadays have really, really similar budgets.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I suspect one reason for the end of Strike and the Bollywood channel is that Amazon realized it didn't need to pursue niche audiences. My only concern is that Amazon did have the licenses for most of the shows I rated most highly in 2017. Will we continue to see shows like Made in Abyss and Princess Principal without Amazon's deep pockets?

As mentioned previously, Amazon had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of these two series. They already had a production committee and both had started producing the series before Sentai(with some of Amazon's money) paid for international streaming. Amazon was in no way a part of the production committee and therefore was absolutely in no way contributing to the actual realization of either of those two shows being made into anime.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Erebus25 wrote:
Despite all the bad things about Strike, there was a person there who had a good sense about picking titles to be their exclusives.

This. Some of the best shows of 2017, including Just Because!, Inuyashiki, Re:Creators, and Made in Abyss, were Amazon-exclusive. And most of their other titles were also top notch (the only real dud I can think of was Vatican Miracle Examiners). There was nothing wrong with their choices of shows, but it should have been rolled into the regular streaming service like Netflix and Hulu are doing (although so far as I can tell, Hulu doesn't have any exclusives, just mostly existing Funimation titles).

I wouldn't mind it if Amazon continued to pick up anime. But they really need to look at what Crunchyroll, Netflix, and others are doing and produce dubs to at least some of their more popular exclusives. Re:Creators and Made in Abyss, among others, would really benefit from a dub.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
While AS did a lot of things (well, most of them) wrong it did do one thing right: weekly episodes (delayed sometimes, but still). Sadly, the curse of Netflix still harms us. But the curse might be lifted soon. Unless you're in the US.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The title should be, based on the question, "Is Anime Strikes demise a good thing for the industry"

The answer I'll give is: yes, it is. Amazon was running up costs and putting its product behind two paywalls. It was also Yet Another Streaming Service in an already overloaded field.

Frankly: good riddance to bad rubbish. I won't miss you, Amazon Strike.

Not to mention the product was bad. Constantly late, missing substitles a thing pretty much essential to streaming anime.

People would have grown to stomuch the paywall had the product been above and beyond, but it was worse than what fans were getting almost a decade ago. As someone who got into anime in college in the early 2010's I was never around for anything as poor as Anime Strike's quality of life things, I'm not aware of CR or Funi ever have a consistent problem being on time or straight up missing the words their fans needed to enjoy the product in recent memory.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Amazon's biggest problem, and one Justin and everyone else here seems to miss, is that they're still largely stuck on charging for the individual item... when everyone else has long since moved onto "all you can eat". Anime Strike wasn't the problem, it's the symptom of a deeper problem - and the reason Amazon Video (in general) is a distant third. Their clunky interface (UI/UX) and general lack of marketing doesn't help matters either.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Will we continue to see shows like Made in Abyss and Princess Principal without Amazon's deep pockets?

Amazon had nothing to do with the creation of either of those shows.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Not to defend the service too much, but I don't think you needed the $99 Prime for Strike. You did need Amazon Video ($10.99), so there was still a double pay wall, but not as bad as one would imagine. This speaks to how ineffectively they communicated about the service.

I'm pretty sure Amazon will still be in the market, as they have some programming block deals, but they might probably won't be as active as they were last year (only a couple shows per season, like this one).

Chrono1000 wrote:
Amazon made so many mistakes with Anime Strike that failure was almost guaranteed and the only surprise was that they pulled the plug on it so quickly. As a fan of dubs I was disappointed every time a show was announced for Anime Strike and while Netflix is a tad obsessed with binge watching at least they spend the money to properly support it. Amazon on the other hand was half hearted about anime and never even attempted to understand the market.

They could stand to advertise their anime a little more (I think Ajin and maybe Knights of Sidonia are the only anime they've tweeted about at all), but generally I'd agree that Netflix spends more money and effort on their anime and making it accessible to a variety of different fans.

DeTroyes wrote:
Erebus25 wrote:
Despite all the bad things about Strike, there was a person there who had a good sense about picking titles to be their exclusives.

This. Some of the best shows of 2017, including Just Because!, Inuyashiki, Re:Creators, and Made in Abyss, were Amazon-exclusive. And most of their other titles were also top notch (the only real dud I can think of was Vatican Miracle Examiners). There was nothing wrong with their choices of shows, but it should have been rolled into the regular streaming service like Netflix and Hulu are doing (although so far as I can tell, Hulu doesn't have any exclusives, just mostly existing Funimation titles).

I wouldn't mind it if Amazon continued to pick up anime. But they really need to look at what Crunchyroll, Netflix, and others are doing and produce dubs to at least some of their more popular exclusives. Re:Creators and Made in Abyss, among others, would really benefit from a dub.

The thing is, they didn't really pick all of those. They funded Sentai, who got things like Made in Abyss or Land of the Lustrous. I doubt they really cared enough to have much input. Those are confirmed to get home releases, and will almost certainly get dubs.

Other than certain Anime block deals they have with Noitamina, Animeism etc., I'm not sure how much they pick and choose anime. I think maybe Re:Creators and Welcome to the Ballroom are a couple exceptions that they picked themselves, otherwise a lot of their stuff just comes from those deals.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
before Sentai(with some of Amazon's money) paid for international streaming.

was it ever actually confirmed Sentai was getting money from Amazon to purchase titles? I've seen that assumption passed around a LOT since they started putting simulcasts on Strike, but never saw any official confirmation.

As it stands, everything I've seen suggests Sentai's remained its own entity throughout this, and Strike was a stopgap to help bolster their simulcast audience while trying to get HiDive's infrastructure ready to actually compete with Crunchyroll, as evidence by them already bringing some of Strike's "exclusives" from Spring 17 to HiDive in the US and Canada. Not to mention that Amazon was licensing its own shows totally separate from Sentai, which doesn't seem particularly useful if you already have a company doing that for you.

Either way, I can't say I'm sad to see Strike go. While it wasn't a huge price for me, since I have Prime through a family member and only had to pay for Strike myself, it was frankly still insulting to be paying every month for a service that would all too reliably deliver episodes late, without subtitles, or with mistimed or straight up incorrect subtitles (as in, putting the subs for episode 4 on episode 5). Amazon has a few titles they'll still be simulcasting going forward, but if this is the level of effort they're putting in I'm more than happy to see them leave the market.

Quote:
Other than certain Anime block deals they have with Noitamina, Animeism etc., I'm not sure how much they pick and choose anime. I think maybe Re:Creators and Welcome to the Ballroom are a couple exceptions that they picked themselves, otherwise a lot of their stuff just comes from those deals.

Yeah, if you take away series that Sentai licensed, Strike's actual offerings were pretty slim. Across almost 2 years their total licenses include:

Noitamina:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Pre-strike)
Battery (Pre-strike)
The Great Passage
Scum's Wish
Saekano Flat
Dive!!
Inuyashiki
After the Rain

Animeism:
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Altair: A Record of Battles
Yuki Yuna is a Hero S2
Beatless
Killing Bites

and outside of those deals:
Vivid Strike!
Chi's Sweet Home (Short)
OniHei
Re:Creators
Welcome to the Ballroom
Kokkoku

Some of those have proven popular, and others really haven't. A lot of Strike's most well-hyped shows (Abyss, LandLust, Princess Principal) were from Sentai and likely won't remain exclusive to Amazon for much longer.

Last edited by lossthief on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The title should be, based on the question, "Is Anime Strikes demise a good thing for the industry"

The answer I'll give is: yes, it is. Amazon was running up costs and putting its product behind two paywalls. It was also Yet Another Streaming Service in an already overloaded field.

Frankly: good riddance to bad rubbish. I won't miss you, Amazon Strike.

There is so much talk about the anime industry needing money. Pirating is bad because the industry doesn't get the money. Working conditions for anime employees are bad because they have to fit in the small budgets because they don't profit enough from the sales. Well Anime Strike brought more money to the anime industry. The competition that another, big backed streaming site brought was potentially a good thing too. Anime Strike failing is bad for the Anime industry.

Running up costs on licensing is bad for streaming sites, not for the anime industry. Fans having to pay more is bad for the fans not for the anime industry.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

As mentioned previously, Amazon had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of these two series. They already had a production committee and both had started producing the series before Sentai(with some of Amazon's money) paid for international streaming. Amazon was in no way a part of the production committee and therefore was absolutely in no way contributing to the actual realization of either of those two shows being made into anime.

No, but Amazon did dump a truckload of money on the production committees for rights. My understanding is that Amazon and Netflix exclusive series are profitable before they're even released.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
What they should have done is open a separate streaming company for it or buy an existing one and keep it separate from Amazon Video.

I don't think Amazon's goal was to rule the anime streaming business, I think their goal was to get anime fans who don't have a prime subscription to sign up. It fits in with their "Channels" department so they slotted it in there. Their other channels also have a cost beyond the prime paywall.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I will miss about AS is that it had all of the anime options neatly arranged in one place. Not so much true with it all being melded into Prime Video in general and something that Netflix has far from perfected, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The one thing I will miss about AS is that it had all of the anime options neatly arranged in one place. Not so much true with it all being melded into Prime Video in general and something that Netflix has far from perfected, either.

This, it was so convenient to just bookmark their page and sort by newest arrivals. Now its hard to find the previous animes.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
before Sentai(with some of Amazon's money) paid for international streaming.

was it ever actually confirmed Sentai was getting money from Amazon to purchase titles? I've seen that assumption passed around a LOT since they started putting simulcasts on Strike, but never saw any official confirmation.

As it stands, everything I've seen suggests Sentai's remained its own entity throughout this, and Strike was a stopgap to help bolster their simulcast audience while trying to get HiDive's infrastructure ready to actually compete with Crunchyroll, as evidence by them already bringing some of Strike's "exclusives" from Spring 17 to HiDive in the US and Canada. Not to mention that Amazon was licensing its own shows totally separate from Sentai, which doesn't seem particularly useful if you already have a company doing that for you.

While we'll never know specifics of how much Amazon paid Sentai or whether they contributed to Sentai getting licenses in the first place, we DO know that Sentai has retained the master streaming licenses for those services. Which means Amazon would have HAD to pay Sentai something in order to put them on Anime Strike. Which means Amazon was giving money to Sentai regardless of whether Sentai was able to get the licenses themselves in the first place.

Though with the amount of shows Sentai was able to license before using Anime Strike... it indicates that Amazon's cash that was used to host shows on Strike greatly helped Sentai pay for licenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5