• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Manga to No Longer Offer Catalog Chapters of Kodansha Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
#879909 wrote:
Pardon me but i dont know what is a catalong manga means. Does this even effect their sales? İ mean from what i get old chapters of series are moving to another place which is still avalaible to buy.

[this is how you read news stories you don't understand: you presume that the person writing the article is trying to tell you stuff but that they might not have written it to target your current exact knowledge. You fill in the gaps by trial-fitting hypotheses about the shape of the bits you don't know. It's like a jigsaw; the article will describe how some pieces are linked together, but fitting them into the big picture -- ha! -- is trial-and-error.]

Thank you for explanation. Especially for this site i find news stories really confusing to understand and generally avoid but as this is my study area i jumped right into it and struggled to understand situation. Now its bright. Thank you again.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Looks like a number of the licenses they signed are finally lapsing. I don't know what the terms were, but it's apparent to me that CR manga "flopped" relatively early out of the gate; they just didn't have much at all in the way of new titles.
I'd put the failure down to a bad interface. Just one of my many complaints is that there's no queue equivalent on the manga side, so I have to figure out manually which chapter I left off on if I'm not caught up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
manga is getting more popular in the west but its still not as popular in japan i guess. here in america, i think people just get into manga to get past ongoing anime. thats why berserk and tokyo ghoul fans get so mad when they figure out how much better the story in the manga is.

With regards to Berserk I'm pretty sure that preference for the manga over the anime has next to nothing to do with the story being better.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with Kodansha always ruining their licences?
German publishers also had lots of trouble with them in the past. For example they suddenly refused to continue working with one of the biggest german manga publishers, cancelling all ongoing series without giving any reason...
lys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think this just comes down to it not being sustainable to offer heaps and piles of manga for a subscription of a few dollars/month. I know that's what people want because that's what the pirate sites give them, but it doesn't allow for authors/editors/translators/letterers/etc to make a living off their work (and given the short turnaround of the simulpub chapters, these people absolutely deserve to be paid. I have lettered a couple simulpub manga for CR, it's demanding work. (and it didn't pay very well, in my experience.))

I also feel that this open-buffet style of manga devalues the works themselves and makes the medium feel disposable. Kodansha has a lot of really great series with broad appeal, and I think they're well worth the price of paying for individually, whether as ebooks or physical books.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
^ what's the big difference between anime and manga that would make one sustainable and not the other, though?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I don't honestly know the answer. My assumption that the manga model is unsustainable is based on my experience, but as a freelancer I don't know all the inside details of what it costs a company like CR or what they make off of it, only what they pay me and how long it takes me to do the work.

I think that individual anime tend to be a smaller quantity overall (13 episodes for an average series, vs perhaps the same amount of volumes of manga, or more--a manga is going to have a LOT more content). Lettering (the work I have experience with) takes a lot of time to do well: lay out the art, choose fonts and position the text, and retouch Japanese text out of the art--I'd say an average of 1vol/week if you're not working like a crazy person. Translation is probably a similar time commitment for a volume. I'm not familiar with how long it takes to translate/typeset/etc an average episode, but l doubt any single task takes anywhere near that much time.

This is probably not a very complete answer and there are lots of counter-arguments I can already see (also it's just hard to figure out how to fairly compare anime vs manga in terms of length and quantity, and serialization over months/years vs airing over the course of a season is another thing, and the efficiency of working on a full volume vs a single chapter at a time...) but for now I have to get back to working like a crazy person on the two books I've got due this week :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2