• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metropolis: The Forgotten Madhouse Masterpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd forgotten how beautiful this film was --- I think I'd filed it away as "just" being derivative of the Fritz Lang film, visually.

Glad you mentioned the soundtrack! It is excellent. I've owned it for years.

But, yes, the plot. Sigh.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:07 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
FWIW... My intro to Madhouse's Metropolis was this amv, which pairs images from the film with the song "Twilight" from ELO's seminal 1981 concept album Time. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(ELO_album) since I can't get the markup to work. Dang but you guys need a more modern editor...)

As per this post from this thread if BB tags will not work, then use HTML tags.
Code:
<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(ELO_album)">HTML hypertext tags</a>
results in:
HTML hypertext tags
Picky33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The only reason this film is lost is because Sony Picture Classics has the rights to the film. They actually have the rights to a lot of anime that will never get released in a proper format (4K or even blu-ray)

The upside to Sony Picture Classics having the rights is screening this or any other of there anime films is dirt cheap. For our Colleges Welcome Week (Freshman Arrival) we screened this and Steam Boy for under $250 which is dirt cheap when a Ghibli screening requires special equipment and $1000 license.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I have the old dvd of this film and haven't (and won't ever again) watched this in years. I remember my initial assessment of the film after watching it was meh!!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
The only reason this film is lost is because Sony Picture Classics has the rights to the film. They actually have the rights to a lot of anime that will never get released in a proper format (4K or even blu-ray)

o.0

Metropolis is available from legitimate sellers in both DVD and BD versions.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 am Reply with quote
In terms of all-time classic silent films, "Metropolis" is up there with films like "Birth of A Nation" and "Nosferatu", and many others.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:59 am Reply with quote
Not forgotten or lost. I still see it mentioned on Twitter. Someone was asking if the Astro Boy show from the 2000's had good animation and was compared to Metropolis. Wasn't it just re-released over the last few years?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Several have said it before and better, and there's no point in changing it through its being brought up, but still... don't carelessly call pieces of media "lost" unless they're "lost media".
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In terms of all-time classic silent films, "Metropolis" is up there with films like "Birth of A Nation" and "Nosferatu", and many others.

One of these things is not like the other's...
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Look I don't think anyone is defending the message of "Birth of A Nation" is trying to send but it still has some elements of film making that were revolutionary for the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

I recognize the racism of BoAN while also recognizing the pioneering aspects to film that it provided.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Metropolis was memorable for being beautiful to watch if not enjoyable to watch, if that makes sense. It certainly wasn't one to rewatch endlessly...I only watched it again a couple years ago because a younger relative was interested in older anime and was rifling through my DVD collection. It was important at its time as a representation of what anime was capable of, even if not fully realized.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Remembered this on Big Apple Anime Fest (BAAF)

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Unless I missed it I don't see where the author said the film is lost or referenced it not being able to be found. Rather, as the title clearly says, it's forgotten by many anime fans. Lost to time or memory perhaps, but not lost as in you can't find it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Title was changed to better represent the author's original intent behind the piece. Unfortunately it might make a lot of the comments look incorrect in retrospect now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3