• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Toei's Air Master, Captain Harlock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
OMG, OMG, OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I am so gonna use this to my advantage.
IzanaginoOkami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
i think my head just exploded! Shocked come on harlock. fist of the north star and G999 on dvd
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I just want to agree with the desire to get these shows released on DVD. I would definitely buy Pretty Cure dubbed or subbed. I would want Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express subbed though.

Ditto on please rerelease Sailor Moon.
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
While this is nice and all, I can already watch these titles on Crunchyroll just fine. What will FUNimation provide with their online streaming that will differentiate from CR?
More of them, faster, and for free? If you want to pay, the Direct2Drive has download-to-own copies.

D2D may have more episodes for the time being but if you do not want to mess with DRM I suggest it would be better to go for Crunchyroll's DTO option.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
On the website? please, PLEASE!!! Release Harlock & Galaxy Express on DVD! do them on bricks with subtitles only and I'll buy them Anime cry pleaaaaaseeeeeee

The same, I won't even complain if they are sub-only, not even a little. My only concern would be that FUNi would be doing a sub only release, and I don't want them to get in the habit of doing that. Maybe if they release it dual partnership style with Toei it will still keep FUNi in the clear with their dub mantra. I consider it to be in the same vein as iaTV releases of Cat's Eye, Remi, and SDC Orguss. I certainly would not mind a dub. But I for one would be perfectly happy with a sub-only release of Harlock, in this type of instance only.

-------------------
One thing from the article. I am really glad Interlude did get brought over. I really enjoyed that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
This is pure speculation, but the big reason I could see for not releasing these on DVD in the United States is reverse importation fears. It's a real problem and the market for the classic shows in Japan is HUGE. The money they'd stand to make on a dvd box set release is probably not worth the risk.

-Tofu
Hamsterpuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
More U.S.-only streams = yawn.
Possibility of eventual dvd releases for Digimon 02, Galazy Express and Captain Harlock = yes yes YES! Very Happy
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to be dancing around it but I would blatently like to know if FUNimation only has the Japanese Versions liscenced or will they be getting what dubs existed for them. I guess I'm being specific about the Digimon 02 dub. I remember watching the end of that on FoxKids and I fondly remember the dub as feeling pretty natural. They even threw in some pretty entertaining ad libs.

Also, all of Fist of the North Star on FUNimation Video? Your site is getting pretty loaded. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you may want to consider some minor redesigns. Sorting through all 152 epsidoes eight at a time is going to be a little frustrating.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Toei to Funimation eh?
Speaking for myself, it's likely these shows are under better care now.
Let's wait for the ball to land before we celebrate the hole in one.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
This is pure speculation, but the big reason I could see for not releasing these on DVD in the United States is reverse importation fears. It's a real problem and the market for the classic shows in Japan is HUGE. The money they'd stand to make on a dvd box set release is probably not worth the risk.

-Tofu

I think this could be mostly circumvented by releasing it dub-only in R1. It's not a great plan though, because that would alienate half the R1 consumers and everybody would be yelling about how Funi sucks again. I wouldn't mind that though Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu

I think this could be mostly circumvented by releasing it dub-only in R1. It's not a great plan though, because that would alienate half the R1 consumers and everybody would be yelling about how Funi sucks again. I wouldn't mind that though Smile
I would. because it's Toei that are being the aceholes in that situation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised about Harlock and GE999, since the company still hasn't licensed more Galaxy Railways; so I thought this stuff was doing horribly for them.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Will they stream the dubs of Pretty Cure (currently airing on YTV in Canada), Slam Dunk (its' dub was to air in Canada), and/or Air Master (its' dub was to air in Canada)?
Taiyz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! OMG!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! Is this TRUE?????
Will they be redistributing Air Master done right?

OH MY GAWD PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN?????

Now all I need is 'Denno Coil' and I can die happy.
Man, Air Master's enough for me. If we actually get a DVD release for it, I can die happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Hey Funi, with your new partnership with Toei, I have two words for you:

Sailor. Moon.
Four addiotnal words: "Not using DiC's masters"

Or ADV's translation. Very Happy

Regardless of that, though, I have what I want of these shows in fansub form burned to dvd because no company will release the show in a way I can watch it. I'm too old and attached to my tv for streams and "download to own" doesn't do it for me. Too much DRM and lack of ability to burn to DVD. So when the DVD's come out, I'll take notice. Until then, fansubs are my friend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5