• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Quentin Tarantino Sued Over Kill Bill's Anime Segment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
The only person who won ANYTHING similar to this was Art Buchwald concerning the Eddie Murphy movie, Coming to America and Mr. Buchwald filed suit either just before or just after the movie came out.

This guy is full of S*** and is wasting the Court's time and money.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Lydia: Actually, wikipedia says his suit came out about two years after. And he had his script around for at least six years in advance.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
City on Fire is widely considered to be one of the great Hong Kong crime movies of the 80s, so you can be the Tarantino apologist all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Tarantino intentionally riffed off of City on Fire. The three-way standoff at the end of RD is shot-for-shot a copy of the standoff in CoF. The plots are identical.

No. This statement is wrong. Yes, he obviously took the ending which is quite similar from CoF. That's one small part. There is so much else too it though. Yeah, it's easy for some guy to splice together the tiny portion that is the same. What people ignore is that 99% of the movie is original. Many elements of the plot and so so much of the execution. That's where people complaining about the similarities lose me. It's just so...minor when you put it in perspective. He took one part of the plot of his movie from CoF. Who cares? He built a vastly different movie out of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
chicken:
Quote:
What people ignore is that 99% of the movie is original.

Um, no it's not. The ear-slicing scene was in David Lynch's Blue Velvet; the Madsen dance scene was in Fellini's I, Vitelloni; and the whole color assignment thing was in the original Pelham from the 70s. And don't tell me no one else was "interpreting" the meaning of Madonna's "Like a Virgin", either.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lydia: Actually, wikipedia says his suit came out about two years after. And he had his script around for at least six years in advance.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed And goes to show that I should have read the article a lot more slowly.

But, my memory was correct, that Buchwald is the one of the very few who have won this sort of lawsuit.

Does anyone know of someone else who claimed a script, story, song was "stolen" from them and won the lawsuit?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
chicken: Actually, that's not true, either, as anyone who's seen the original Pelham and Blue Velvet will attest.
mo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Does anyone know of someone else who claimed a script, story, song was "stolen" from them and won the lawsuit?

this may come as sort of a surprise to you, then:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/sophia-stewart-wins-the-matrix-copyright-infringement-case_100273392.html

And I'm surprised with all the people that read the document, it hasn't been stated yet why Mr. Hunter has waited so long to file suit - he was in jail. It says so quite clearly in the document.

And as for the manner in which the document is written - all legal pleadings follow a certain style of language, and also state the details in a particular manner. While I whole-heartedly agree that Mr. Hunter does step outside the bounds of "just presenting the facts", that's not unheard of in intellectual property cases. I mean, you would expect someone to get emotional over something they believe they created. The claims of Racial Animus can easily be dismissed as the statements of a man who has let his emotions make a few (truly) broad speculations about Quentin Tarantino's character - however, there are a total of 7 actions here (you always throw everything you can at your enemy in court, in hopes that one or more will be proven - that's what the DA does to every criminal that gets arrested, and the same hold true for civil court cases).

The fact that he is DEMANDING a jury trial is the most compelling aspect of his claim; it does make it hard to refute a man so convinced of his own veracity that he would be willing to go so far. He must be aware that to go to jury trial will mean presenting an evidentiary case, not just talking big on paper. It's likely that he feels, given his day in court, he'll win. Whether or not that is true, of course, remains to be seen.

Personally, I really don't much give a hoot who wins, but from a law perspective, I am interested in seeing the outcome of the case.

Tarantino pays homage to a great many films in the Kill Bill series; I especially enjoyed watching Daryl Hannah reprise her character Pris' death scene from BladeRunner, and I was very, very happy to see Tarantino not ignore Caradine's work in Circle of Iron, a film that was co-written by Grandmaster Bruce Lee, and was originally supposed to have him star in it as well - but then he died and that sorta screwed things up...
braves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
mo-chan wrote:

Took me a few seconds to find this piece debunking that article:

http://www.examiner.com/x-10713-AfricanAmerican-Books--Examiner~y2010m2d15-Debunked-Sophia-Stewart-vs-The-Matrix

In any case, I don't care if Tarantino loses this particular lawsuit. What made that segment special for me was Shinya Ohira's animation (O-Ren's dad fighting the thugs). Only he could have come up with that fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
mo-chan wrote:
And I'm surprised with all the people that read the document, it hasn't been stated yet why Mr. Hunter has waited so long to file suit - he was in jail. It says so quite clearly in the document.

And people file lawsuits from jail all of the time, so the fact that he could NOT sue really doesn't hold water. With me at least.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
braves:
Quote:
What made that segment special for me was Shinya Ohira's animation (O-Ren's dad fighting the thugs). Only he could have come up with that fight.

Um, sorry to disappoint you, but that anime segment is at least "inspired" by Kite and Golgo 13.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3