• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack HD Remaster Bundles Original Symphonia, Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I actually doubt the game would have sold better on PS2. Far more competition.

Look at Abyss. Sure they stupidly decided to release it near FFXII, but there you go, it was unable to compete with such a game.

Legendia sure didn't do better either. Sure it's quality is questionable, but eh it wasn't a great seller.

PS2 had way to many jrpgs to chose from. Gamecube did'nt. A hungry audience and help with a push from Nintendo. It's pretty easy to see why it did good.

But in no way should it be released on the Wii U.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

What I mean is that the Playstation 3 is the console for RPG players. I know the XBOX360 sells horribly in Japan- Trust me, I live here.

About the 360, is it true that a lot of stores don't even bother stocking it anymore? And that many people don't even view it as one of the 3 major consoles? I've heard reports of these things but never any confirmation.

It is true. There might be one or two in Book Off where people sell them, but I haven't seen an Xbox360 at a place like Bic Camera. Famitsu charts also show the dismal sales... When the PS2 was still in production a few months ago, it ranked above the Xbox360 in sales weekly.
notreve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
notreve wrote:
Dessa wrote:
This whole "why isn't it on Wii U" arguing is bothering me a bit, especially since the Wii U uses a different control scheme than is already supported by the games.

Regardless, I looked at the mothership titles for the series, to look at systems. Enhanced rereleases are included in the listings as a rerelease of the original game. Each game will be listed as follows:

The ONLY games that are Nintendo-only are the second 2 Narikiri Dungeon games (Gameboy Advance), the Summoner's Lineage game (GBA), Tempest (DS), and Symphonia 2 (Wii). So there's only ONE console Tales game that has never been released on a Sony system, and only 5 and an online PC game total.

Why are people questioning that this is on PS3 again?

I don't know about the others but i wasn't questioning that. All i was expecting is that NAMCO could finally show some respect for the people who buy their games in other platforms and make it multi plat. At least a WiiU/PS3 release since the main game was a Gamecube(lol) exclusive and yet, it is the most sold Tales title till today(lol what).
I guess i was expecting too much from those rats.

That link shows that in Japan, the best selling non Sony Tales game in Japan is Tales of Phantasia for SNES, and thats 12th overall. Japan is the main market, so seeing that list it makes more sense than ever why they are focusing on the Sony systems.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/15/tales-of-producer-talks-about-jrpg-changes-over-15-years-of-tales/

Quote:
We will always cater towards the Japanese market first, without even realizing it. Since that’s where we’re based, it can’t be helped! And while we are aware of the increase of interest in the eastern market, and it’s something we do consider when making certain decisions, we will first and foremost be catering towards Japanese players.

And then later, when the get hit by the dying jrpg market on the west, they complain people don't buy their games. How can they expect people to buy their games in the future by giving them a middle finger at the present? Sony platforms aren't the only ones being sold here.
Whatever, i better stop arguing on this since i am not buying any of their games anymore anyway.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
notreve wrote:
And then later, when the get hit by the dying jrpg market on the west, they complain people don't buy their games. How can they expect people to buy their games in the future by giving them a middle finger at the present? Sony platforms aren't the only ones being sold here.
Whatever, i better stop arguing on this since i am not buying any of their games anymore anyway.

They'll be like any other Japanese company and just focus on the home market now. Thats a big reason why people are talking about how Japanese gaming is dying now... they're focusing on making games for Japanese people instead of for Westerners since the West prefers their big AAA shooter games instead.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

It is true. There might be one or two in Book Off where people sell them, but I haven't seen an Xbox360 at a place like Bic Camera. Famitsu charts also show the dismal sales... When the PS2 was still in production a few months ago, it ranked above the Xbox360 in sales weekly.

They're probably still stocked at the smaller indie shops. At this point, the only reason to really buy a 360 is mainly for shmups (that's a pretty niche genre already). Most console VNs are getting simultaneous PS3 release or ports to more widely owned systems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3