• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion vs. RahXephon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaimex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quote
Cant really say much since I've only seen the RahXephon movie.

I should really see this series. Eva was great up until End of Eva left me feeling creeped out. After I watched EoE a couple more times I learned to appreciate the whole concep of Eva.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I completely hated how the first impression of almost every girl in the series on Ayato was spoiler["God, he's hot!"] which got old real quickly.

Well, really, there are only three girls who are interested in him. I'm not sure how you got the impression that anyone else was. Haruka and Asahina went to school with him before the Tokyo Jupiter incident and Megumi had to live with him for a period of time. This doesn't strike me as being unreasonable.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Arxilius wrote:
Bah, there's a point at which bad can no longer be quantified. Like Tom Goes To The Mayor.
I disagree, I could quantify it for paragraphs. And you putting that drivel in the same category as Rah is not only insulting, but idiotic.

Seriously you realize it was a Bones production right? TGttM is basically photography.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GospelX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
There's a pretty decent write-up of comparisons and the ongoing EvaVsRah debate in RahXephon's Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahxephon

Between the two series, I prefer Eva. Sure, the psychology is intro level and only useful to hold over the heads of others in attempt to be pretentious (best yet is when we Eva fans say, "Hey, you don't like it because you don't get it"), but the series is incredibly interesting to watch. Going in cold, you really do want to know what the angels are and why we're fighting them. More over, at least for me, you want to know the purpose of Human Instrumentality.

That's not to say that RahXephon is less interesting, but I literally fell asleep during a few episodes. The pacing and flow of the series is appealing to some, but at times I felt like I was watching an incredibly long movie that I wanted to just end. Fortunately, I didn't hate the series. I just thought it was a bit overrated. By the time the romance storyline appeared around the end, I didn't care anymore.

And I found the series a little too comparible in the end. Tuning the world isn't necessarily that far a cry from a world changing Instrumentality.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I completely hated how the first impression of almost every girl in the series on Ayato was spoiler["God, he's hot!"] which got old real quickly.

Well, really, there are only three girls who are interested in him. I'm not sure how you got the impression that anyone else was. Haruka and Asahina went to school with him before the Tokyo Jupiter incident and Megumi had to live with him for a period of time. This doesn't strike me as being unreasonable.

Well, you missed Kim and Elvy; Kim stated he was cute to Megumi in episode five when she first saw him and even Elvy said while she was drunk that she wanted to..well you know, so that makes it five, I vaguely remember that Cathy also said something along the lines of 'cute' about him. Not all of them were interested in having a romantic relationship with him, but it felt repetitive for me that so many girls would stress on the point that he's hot.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
one3rd wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:

Well, you missed Kim and Elvy; Kim stated he was cute to Megumi in episode five when she first saw him and even Elvy said while she was drunk that she wanted to..well you know, so that makes it five, I vaguely remember that Cathy also said something along the lines of 'cute' about him. They weren't interested in having a romantic relationship with him, but it felt repetitive for me that so many girls would stress on the point that he's hot.

Ummm...

Drunk people hardly count, when I'm drunk I say all manner of things, as do other people, often it's pure fabrication, when I'm drunk I lie about everything, no control over why or what...everything.

Saying someone is 'cute' means what? I might go into the office and notice that one of the interns is 'hot' that's all. Now if they repeatedly brought up the fact that they thought he was 'cute' then you'd have a point, but mentioning it once in a conversation about him is tantamount to small talk.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Ummm...

Drunk people hardly count, when I'm drunk I say all manner of things, as do other people, often it's pure fabrication, when I'm drunk I lie about everything, no control over why or what...everything.

Saying someone is 'cute' means what? I might go into the office and notice that one of the interns is 'hot' that's all. Now if they repeatedly brought up the fact that they thought he was 'cute' then you'd have a point, but mentioning it once in a conversation about him is tantamount to small talk.

It sure is pretty normal in the real world, maybe the developers were aiming for realism by making all those female characters warming up to the good-looking protagonist, but it got kind of old and silly for me hearing all those similar comments about him during the first five or six episodes, maybe it's just me.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
It sure is pretty normal in the real world, maybe the developers were aiming for realism by making all those female characters warming up to the good-looking protagonist, but it got kind of old and silly for me hearing those similar comments about him during the first five or six episodes, maybe it's just me.
Yea exactly who is going after Ayato in the real world? I mean you know that kid is sitting home doing nothing on a Saturday night, but that I think. Also what with blue hair or that purple color hair in anime? I always see that is that purple hair is that supposed to be like a black color?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3