• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses School Days, Magical Heart Kokoro-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The idea of School Days is a lot more interesting than the execution. The first ten episodes are so tedious and boring that I'm amazed anyone made it to the Nice Boat part. For a series like that to work, it needed to start as a (good) harem comedy that slowly builds to the darkness instead of playing it lowkey and then springing everything in the last couple episodes.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
About time some one get School Days its just to bad its sub only
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed it took so long for School Days to get licensed, especially after all the reactions to the ending.
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised School Days has been picked up. I remember seeing that anime over at crunchyroll, and I remember the ending was so weird.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dear mr. discotek, please include the boat footage as an alternate angle. thank you.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you Blood-; instant pre order. Any complaints I had about School Days were wiped away by the end. BEST ENDING EVER.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to School Days getting licensed:
Samo2222

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Despite the quality of the series. It seems like something that could actually sell more than most Discotek releases. Nice choice.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I never thought School Days would get picked up by Discotek (I thought either Funi or Sentai would get this one). Also kudo to Discotek for putting the clip of Mazinger Z subtitled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Woah, school days is finally licensed. Looks like something Media Blasters would have licensed but this is still pretty fascinating. Never seen the show but I have the game and have heard a lot about the series (and I've seen the end). I may just buy it for "historical" value.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wow. I never thought this would ever get licensed for physical release here. On a side note, I thought the game got licensed here when I quickly glanced at the headline before realizing that it was Discotek who licensed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not actually that surprised that somebody decided to pick up School Days. The show got enough buzz that it seemed like a decent contender for a sub-only release. I just wonder how well it will do. The buzz mainly focused on the last episode, so I guess we'll see if a rather unconventional ending is enough to sell this thing.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Discotek is so strange with their licensing choices (besides the classics). I'd really love to know how and why the Hell they're wrangling all this.

I had actually forgotten that School Days WASN'T licensed over here. This will no doubt boost recognition and sales for the company, which seems to be the most logical reason why it was licensed.

I'd buy it, but I don't want to sit through 11 episodes of blahblahblah just to get to an ending that is easily viewable on YouTube. I'd rather play the game TBH, at least I get to set the course myself, trying REALLY hard to get a horrible downbeat ending like the suicide one because I'm an evil bastard muahahahahaha, huehuehuehuehue.

It would be hilarious if there was some kind of Nice Boat thing on the discs though. I doubt the network kept the Nice Boat slides, so something else would have to be managed, maybe a reconstruction.

Also, dear God I cannot wait for Mazinger Z, I NEED ALL THE GO NAGAI I CAN STUFF INSIDE MY EYES. My God, now all they need are the Harenchi Gakuen movies\TV show and they'll be all set! (Not Violence Jack though, stick to the manga there.)

Oh and Ringing Bell is another one I'm very curious about, especially because of what I've heard about how depressing it is; very glad that one got licensed.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This is ... awesome. I never thought in a million years this title would get released in NA.

All hail Discotek!

(Zombie-Loan next, please.)

I'm actually crying tears of joy... oh I can not wait to get on that nice boat again.

Edit: If i'm reading this right they got the ps2 bundled ova magical heart kokoro-chan.. Dear lord people if you liked school days but just wanted to laugh out loud, you will love this.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
I don't always agree with Blood- on anime choices, but when I do...eh, I'm not feeling clever enough to finish that. Anyways, I'm thrilled that School Days is finally getting released here, and I look forward to putting the last 10 minutes or so on a repeating loop. That was easily the most satisfying ending to any harem anime I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6