• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos Rebellion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast, really enjoyed the movie lists. And I'm excited about the future FMA: Brotherhood episode, since I've been powering through it too.

Just a question/suggestion: Is it possible to post on ANN ahead of time about who you will be interviewing/what topic you will be covering for an ANNCast? And, if so, could we submit a question via email? I only ask because you always get questions from twitter, and I don't have twitter. OK, thats not true, I DO have twitter, and you/ANNCast was the only reason I signed up for it. But I never use it, and by the time I think about it I've missed out to ask questions. Is it possible to add something to the side bar a day or two before the recording about the ANNCast topic, and maybe have an email we can send questions in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

Just a question/suggestion: Is it possible to post on ANN ahead of time about who you will be interviewing/what topic you will be covering for an ANNCast? And, if so, could we submit a question via email? I only ask because you always get questions from twitter, and I don't have twitter. OK, thats not true, I DO have twitter, and you/ANNCast was the only reason I signed up for it. But I never use it, and by the time I think about it I've missed out to ask questions. Is it possible to add something to the side bar a day or two before the recording about the ANNCast topic, and maybe have an email we can send questions in?

Thanks for listening! I'd like to do something like this but the problem with it is that as it is there are always more Twitter questions than we have time for. So promoting it more than that and soliciting questions on the frontpage here would be overkill on something that's already there.

Maybe I'll start a forum thread or something for it. Hm.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So promoting it more than that and soliciting questions on the frontpage here would be overkill on something that's already there.

Yeah that makes sense. I still wouldn't mind a notice that was only up on the front page for 12-24 hours that said what the upcoming podcast was about. Granted, I doubt my questions (if any) would make the cut. Still I would like the heads up, even if it meant I had to submit questions via twitter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
I'm also one of those that prefer ANNCast announcements (and requests for questions) be either on it's own official twitter or announced on the ANN twitter. I've mentioned that before but it seems that it's being brought back up again. Looking forward to more developments on that. I don't miss an ANNCast and I enjoy the variety of topics. Even if I don't like half the movies listed, I like hearing of the other perspectives. Filling a year's worth of information on only anime can be difficult. I like the change of pace and look forward to what ANNCast has to offer. Besides, it's listed on the page exactly what topics are being discussed if someone who is not interested in it can decide if they want to listen or not.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
World Trigger was also a Toei production released this year, and that had even worse animation problems. It seems far more likely it's a studio-wide problem than that they intentionally tried to tank this one show. (And it makes me really worried for Digimon Adventure Tri, since at this point I'm a little more attached to that piece of my childhood nostalgia than I am to Sailor Moon.)

I mean, SMC clearly had some production problems that were unique to it, giving it its tons of delays and bizarre release schedule and so on, but there are obviously some larger issues, too.
Kushami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Toei is a company based around making money- trying to say they're trying to tank Sailor Moon is really silly.
Ashuraou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Erm, Brady, don't say Tales of Hearts R for 3DS. It makes me sad, since you probably meant Vita. It was never released on 3DS, even if I originated on the system in Japan...

Actually, I did mean Vita. Sorry about that. I work on so many titles that it's easy to forget which ones are which.

Next time I end up on one of these Q-A shows I'll try to make a proper list. I literally was looking at my project folder as we were recording going umn and uhh. I was kind-of a last minute addition, hahaha.

Last edited by Ashuraou on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hope's stated reason for being interested in the Peanuts movie — the distinctness of Charles Schulz's voice and sense of humor — is basically why I have zero hope this movie is going to be any good.

The whole gimmick of Peanuts is that these cute kids have adult neuroses, and it's a bummer world where all love is unrequited, and failure is the norm. Sometimes Schulz's maudlin tendencies would get the best of him — Why Charlie Brown, Why is about Linus befriending a girl with cancer, and there are frequent reminders of the sacrifices made by WWII veterans — but set against the vapid "believe in yourself" themes of today's Pixar/Dreamworks films, I'd much rather live in a time where something as deliberately depressing as Snoopy Come Home is allowed to exist (then again, I would like something like that, wouldn't I?… it's the Clannad After Story of the kindergarten set)

Pretty safe bet you're not going to see anything downbeat or true to Schulz's world-view in the CG Peanuts movie. I'm counting more on "Charlie Brown and friends team up to save their baseball diamond from an evil developer", or something equally generic. Hell, the fact they're calling it "Peanuts" at all is a bad sign: Schulz hated the title (imposed on him by his syndicate) and no movie, TV series, or TV special made in his lifetime ever used it.
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
{Do not ask that question again. --nbahn}
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
@kanechin

Why would you ask? If Hope wants to reveal personal information to the forums she will. Until then it is non of our business what her status is.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
I do have to say it's a bit odd to see an anime podcast focus more on general movies and stuff than anime. Seems really weird.

Well it's a good thing 90% of the time we talk about absolutely nothing but anime. Saying we "focus more on general movies and stuff" is totally inaccurate.

Sometimes we talk about movies. I give you timecodes so you can skip that part if you're so inclined. That's it.

By the way... PLEASE keep talking about other movies and stuff on occasion. Podcasts are supposed to be somewhat spontaneous. That's what makes them entertaining. It is more like listening to a group of your friends sitting around and having a chat. Yes, we get tons and tons of anime content on this site. It's perfectly okay to divert away from that from time to time so we can hear something about the other interests of the ANN staff once in a while. It keeps things fresh. Please keep doing it!!
Ashuraou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
I agree. In fact, I feel there should be a special Andy Barker P.I. episode of ANNCast.

And yeah, my hope for that Peanuts movie is that it's at least 25% in the spirits of Schulz's stuff.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hope's stated reason for being interested in the Peanuts movie — the distinctness of Charles Schulz's voice and sense of humor — is basically why I have zero hope this movie is going to be any good.

Fiiiinally got around to listening to this podcast... Wow. This was the first that I'd heard/read that there is going to be a Peanuts movie. I loved the franchise in the past (I just recently re-read some of the compilation books that my dad picked up during the 60s and 70s), but it's hard have hope for the film.

I'm fine with the movie talk in the occasional podcast. They bring up movies that I've never knew existed and that I'll probably never see. I think that I made it to a movie theatre only three or four times last year. ^_^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3