• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Redo of Healer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
This show is just exhausting, and while controversy does bring in viewers, I think it keeping the viewership alive is going to be tough, but I'm curious to see how well it does in all regions.

I was talking to my friend about this anime and they read the story from the novel, and just broke down how the plan doesn't make sense and I have to agree.

Outside of its edgelord revenge fantasy, what else does this show have that you couldn't get somewhere else?

softcore to hardcore hentai? Well, you could just go watch hentai. There are like whole continents worth of free hentai or purchasable hentai.

ecchi fanservice anime just seems to have a weird role in the life of anime and what tech we use to watch anime and such.

Revenge fantasy? Well, you could find much better revenge thrillers with stories that are better written.

good animation? I mean, this one is subjective, but I don't find this show good looking. The animation is clunky, even with the edited clips, it's nothing too visually impressive, and the designs are all too generic to stand out from other fantasy anime this season and in previous seasons.

Still, I wish disliking this anime didn't come with trolls and edgelords acting like people are complaining for no reason about this show :/

It's easily my choice for the worst anime of the season on a moral level. It's just repellent, and if for some reason people like this, well, okay. Just be respectful on both sides of the conversation.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I was more going for the phrase "F this shit I'm out", or the idea of walking in, seeing an absolute horrid or disgusting image/scene/train wreck, and then walking right back out the door.

You posted a GIF instead of using any words regarding your thoughts on Healer/the discussion of it, at least before the above quoted message. That's what I was going for when I said what I did.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
By the third episode, they at least had the dignity to just unload all of the assault and trauma upfronts for the first half, but I'm still failing to find a reason why they didn't just make this full-on hentai. It feels like one, looks like one, and in about every way, is one.

That doesn't mean the second half of ep 3 is better, but good lord this show has some real homophobic and racist implications now in the spotlight.

I know some hob goblins are acting like this show is a hit, but it's not. "it's doing well on ATX" yeah, no kidding that it's doing well there. That's not really a sign of quality.

A lot of defenders of this show are like "there will be consensual stuff later" as if that makes the lead any better due to the fact he basically mind crushed the princess and he can easily do that with the others. Just because some of the scenes become more "okay", doesn't really delete or remove any of the other wildly troubling and problematic elements.

Also, if this MC could just go back in time, then why not just go back in time and stop the chosen heroes from ever being born or chosen? Why not just go back in time and make sure they never existed or go back in time enough to tell the demon lord about all of this and team up with her instead of going through the same stuff he went through? If you can't distract a viewer from the minefield that is time travel, then don't have time travel in your story.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Redo the Healer does not have "consensual stuff"...

Every girl in the hero's harem has,at one time or another, been drugged,magically altered/brainwashed and just plain coerced into having sex with him.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
exactly! I think people don't know what consent means when they try to defend this tripe of a show.
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
Also, if this MC could just go back in time, then why not just go back in time and stop the chosen heroes from ever being born or chosen? Why not just go back in time and make sure they never existed or go back in time enough to tell the demon lord about all of this and team up with her instead of going through the same stuff he went through? If you can't distract a viewer from the minefield that is time travel, then don't have time travel in your story.

spoiler[He does team up with the demon lord. She's just not currently the demon lord at the time he returned to, someone else is. You'll see her around episode 6 or 7 if you decide to stick around.]

As for the time travel specifics, what you're suggesting is a different type of time travel than what was done in the show. What happens in the show is him sending his consciousness back in time, or at least his hatred and some vague memories, to his body in the past. What you're suggesting involves sending the entire body to the past which would result in two Keyarus instead of just the one with future memories. As he's younger than all the other heroes, he can't kill them because his body doesn't exist during the time they were born and even if they were he'd be too young to do anything. Also, his body is now exactly as it was before he got the Hero crest, low strength and no resistance to pain or drugs. Considering Flare was able to sense him the moment he got his Crest, there would be no way for him to escape the trained soldiers on horses and Flare who's already an accomplished mage.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
My point is, the show didn't do a good job at me breaking down the flaws within this MC's plan and the whole time travel thing. Plus, if that thing he got in Ep 1 was good enough to send his conscious back, then that's one heck of a mediocre rare item if it isn't able to do more. I'm sorry, but things like ReZero and Edge of Tomorrow make more sense to me than whatever this show is offering lol
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's pointless trying to figure out the time travel logic of this show. It's a contrivance designed to hang the revenge plot on. The episode formula seems clear: spend the first half rehashing all the ludicrous shit the MC went through in his first go around and then back to "present" day for whatever vile shit he's up to for revenge. Apparently there isn't a single decent person in this entire world.
James S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
My point is, the show didn't do a good job at me breaking down the flaws within this MC's plan and the whole time travel thing. Plus, if that thing he got in Ep 1 was good enough to send his conscious back, then that's one heck of a mediocre rare item if it isn't able to do more. I'm sorry, but things like ReZero and Edge of Tomorrow make more sense to me than whatever this show is offering lol

Part of that is due to the animators deciding to rush to the point where he got his revenge on Flare. With 12 episodes, if things were paced properly the revenge against Flare and the aftermath would be mid-episode 3 instead of the end of episode 2 but it seems there was a decision to up the sexiness factor, and tone down the violence, which is more likely to grab people's attention whether negative or positive. However, it's cut down a lot of the details that explain why things happen the way they did, though things might be a bit more detailed from now on since the anime will likely only cover up to the end of Volume3/beginning of Volume 4.

In the case of Keyaru healing the world, I think the simplest explanation is loading the last save state/backup/system restore/etc. He already said that he experienced everything whatever he healed went through at once. To add more detail, by learning all of this he can use the information to restore the target to a perfectly healed state before the injury based off of those memories. In the case of Kureha the Sword Saint, the restored arm is exactly how it was before it got cut off, arm strength, muscle memory, reflexes, etc. By using the philosopher's stone which ups the power of magic to extreme levels, he used it on the world to restore it to 4 years ago. The downside to this is that he would also lose his memories as explained by Flare. As far as the novel is concerned, Keyaru's future self manifests as dreams and a voice constantly calling out to past Keyaru that got stronger until he finally listened to it a week before his birthday and started heading towards the spirit lake. As it took a while before past Keyaru properly got his future memories, he's literally left with almost no time to prepare himself for Flare's arrival.

Hopefully this explains things a bit better. I would have liked it if the show hadn't rushed the first volume, but it was certainly more impactful than it otherwise would have been.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So, yeah, evil lesbian and gay characters. The lesbian beat him half to death up because she is jealous because the princess forced him to lick her drug soaked cooch, and then the gay guy raped him and made sure we knew he was a paedophile that choked him out. It just is not good look, even among other terrible characters, when the entire representation of gay characters is among the lines of predators, invoking the idea of fear or I might say repulsion in the case the lesbian straight up threw up after kissing him.

Would it be better if the show would somehow be weirdly progressive and the main character was actually bi and could enjoy a guy on his terms? Can't say. But then it probably wouldn't be the kind of try hard that would appeal to people who get off on revenge stories and are probably homophobic. Probably unless there is an otokonoko character that would probably be pretty dehumanised. Please don't let there be an otokonoko character.

They just brought in a beast girl slave (ex-sex slave, because they need to be edgy), that I doubt they will ever recognise the power imbalance when he beds her. Like the worst parts of Shield Hero.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
if this MC could just go back in time, then why not just go back in time and stop the chosen heroes from ever being born or chosen? Why not just go back in time and make sure they never existed or go back in time enough to tell the demon lord about all of this and team up with her instead of going through the same stuff he went through?

That really wouldn't be revenge. Your evil enemies must know it is by your hand.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean, yeah it wouldn't be, but it would be better imo if they did that than well, all of this.
James S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
I mean, yeah it wouldn't be, but it would be better imo if they did that than well, all of this.

As someone who has read the novel, I can say with certainty that it would never work. The majority of Keyaru's revenge targets are the way they are thanks to the overall corruption of the Jioral Kingdom as a whole, a point he notes somewhat in episode 4. As an elaboration on that scene, Flare's memories rather than being erased are locked away, which is why she still instinctively shivered at just hearing about Norn despite not remembering who she is in Episode 3. How Freya acts is how Flare would have been like without the excessive corruption of the Jioral Kingdom's royalty and nobility. Getting rid of one of the problem people before they were born would do nothing as the country's been heading to the way it's currently at for a long time before any of the current heroes were born. Which means people just like how they currently are would show up regardless.

Remember, he went back to how his body was 4 years ago with the vague hope he could cheat his memories back through sheer force of hatred to retain just enough knowledge to get the eyes of truth. While it's fun to speculate on how you think the story should have gone, you would have to change the method of time travel as well as alter the rules Keyaru's healing works on (and there are rules to how it works despite a large majority of watchers conveniently ignoring them whenever I try to bring it up regardless of the site) just to be able to set up the "kill them before they were born" plot.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I mean, he still had an item to take him back in time....and yet he still sends himself back to 4 years and still lets himself get assaulted, and all that...I'm just saying this story and its MC didn't think this plan through lol. And the "it's better in the manga/LN/whatever" excuse is never valid either. If it was better in the source material, then wouldn't it have been adapted into the story of the anime adaptation?

I'm just saying that I haven't seen good defenses to his plan and the overall story.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Revenge is never good. But if you really can't get justice, then it is all you have left.

Revenge is not logical, but rather emotional. That is why they say to dig two graves.

When evil reigns supreme in power, you are not really going to be finding good people nearby. They have either been corrupted by their society already, they have already been tortured and killed (or worse), or they are in the castle dungeon entertaining the prison guards and the rats. In the town, the good people are going to be in the poorer sections of the city, and they are definitely not going to be drawing attention to themselves.

The (openly) good people are far away, from those in power. Like the village the Healer came from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5