• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 50 Manga Creators by Sales Since 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The comparison to Harry Potter is actually a very good one. Both aimed at children but are so well written that pretty much every age group and gender loves it.

Aimed at children, where? Children's books are a very specific genre in the UK and Japan. Neither OP or Harry Potter aim to be children's' books as for children readers lets try to use the distinguishing terms used by the publishers like young adults, teens, 13 and up, shonen, etc.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

I'm just aware that some people are annoyed by overzealous fans who will use the numbers to hate on every manga title that isn't One Piece. And no one likes those guys. There are other series on this list that I love, and are selling great, they just can't compare in terms of sales to the Juggernaut of One Piece.

I think you and some other people are somehow misunderstanding OP fans. They do not hate on every Manga but their hatred focuses on Naruto, Bleach and lately Fairy Tail.

In their eyes OP is pretty much the highest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer together with FMA.
In their eyes Naruto is an average Manga which was once as good as One Piece but now resembles Bleach more than OP
And in their eyes Bleach is the lowest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer.

Their hatred comes mainly from the fact that OP is always compared to those 2(BIG 3 etc.) but in their eyes there is a gigantic quality gap between those 3 Manga and therefore the comparison with the other two Manga is an insult to OP.

The comparison to Harry Potter is actually a very good one. Both aimed at children but are so well written that pretty much every age group and gender loves it.

If we do the Book comparison than the fight between OP fans and especially Bleach fans is somewhat similar to the fight between Harry Potter fans and Twilight fans.

I haven’t seen any hatred on Manga which aren’t compared to OP or are considered high class Manga by the majority of serious Manga readers(http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=&limit=0) and not only those “Big 3” readers or even only Naruto, Bleach and maybe a few other WSJ Manga readers.

And before I forget it but anyone who argues that more popular means “better” shouldn’t be taken serious because everyone knows what he is.
It is true that I have seen OP fans try to argue like that but those statics like this one are mainly used as counter arguments to people who try to argue that for example Naruto is more popular, which is true when you exclude Japan but when you include it than not.

I agree with you for the most part.
I've seen more then a few trolls who like to use stats like these to bait Nartuo fans for the most part. But you are correct in that the One Piece super-fans are fewer then other types, though I do know they exist considering I've run into a few.

I've seen a difference on Naruto/Bleach aspect though, I see a lot more people liking Bleach for the mindless sort of violence, but down-right hating Naruto. I think that might come from the market over-saturation here, and the perceived drop in the series quality of late. ( I don't know what they are talking about, I never like Naruto.)

You're also right in that the constant comparisons are probably part of the enraging factor. I think a problem is sometimes people don't realize it's "Big 3" in terms of popularity not quality.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
I think you and some other people are somehow misunderstanding OP fans. They do not hate on every Manga but their hatred focuses on Naruto, Bleach and lately Fairy Tail.

In their eyes OP is pretty much the highest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer together with FMA.
In their eyes Naruto is an average Manga which was once as good as One Piece but now resembles Bleach more than OP
And in their eyes Bleach is the lowest quality that the Shonen Genre has to offer.

Their hatred comes mainly from the fact that OP is always compared to those 2(BIG 3 etc.) but in their eyes there is a gigantic quality gap between those 3 Manga and therefore the comparison with the other two Manga is an insult to OP.

If we do the Book comparison than the fight between OP fans and especially Bleach fans is somewhat similar to the fight between Harry Potter fans and Twilight fans.

I haven’t seen any hatred on Manga which aren’t compared to OP or are considered high class Manga by the majority of serious Manga readers(http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=&limit=0) and not only those “Big 3” readers or even only Naruto, Bleach and maybe a few other WSJ Manga readers.

And before I forget it but anyone who argues that more popular means “better” shouldn’t be taken serious because everyone knows what he is.
It is true that I have seen OP fans try to argue like that but those statics like this one are mainly used as counter arguments to people who try to argue that for example Naruto is more popular, which is true when you exclude Japan but when you include it than not.

What you're describing is what happens when fans take manga so seriously.

Honestly, people should remember that manga magazines and volumes are low value products that a lot of buyers read in the train or when they have some spare free time. Manga, especially mainstream shônen and shojo, does initially not aim to be anything other than a cheap (in terms of price) entertainment for 15 year old boys/girls.

If we listened to the fans, manga would be considered as the 9th art (the 8th one being video games). Laughing

Considering that, hating on a manga seems very stupid, no matter the justifications, don't you think ?
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
My stream of conscious thoughts:

1. I normally don't follow the weekly BR or NY best seller lists or whatever sales records ANN reports. I just clicked the link out of boredom today. My mouth literally dropped when I saw the disparity between One Piece and everything else. As someone mentioned, it takes the next seven publishers to just come close to what OP has all by itself. It sells 5 times more than its next closest manga counterpart. Not a fan of OP, I have browsed a chapter or two here and there and haven't kept up to date with all the happenings, but whatever Oda has done, he has done it well as the numbers attest. People can argue about "quality" or who has "more passionate fans" all they want, but the the numbers confirm that the Japanese heartily support this series above all other series.

2. I know I hear that Naruto isn't as popular as it once was all the time, but even still, number 2 isn't a number to slouch at and its the only other manga to crack 10 mil. Plus its distance from the next series is at least 2.3 mil units and the distance from the next Shonen series is 3.3 mil units is a testament to its endurance after so many years.

3. Kimi ni Todoke number 3? Really? I had no idea this series was that popular. I've only browsed a few pages of the manga and it didn't really hold with me.

4. I'm a little happy to see Fairy Tail at number 4. Its the one series I keep up with constantly. I'm shocked though that it beat out Bleach, although Bleach has existed longer, so something like Fairy Tail will have to prove its got staying power after as many years. Even still, it makes you wonder if when people say "Big 3" they should include Fairy Tail instead of Bleach (of course, maybe it should only be called "other 3" to include Naruto, Bleach and FT since OP is in its own category at this point.). Quick Side story: Met both artists at Comic Con in 2008. Each had limited tickets that were given out each day. The rush to get to Viz was insane each day. I barely got mine at the last batch. For Mashima, there was no crazy lines or rush to get to Del Ray. At Kubo's signing, people lined up early to grab his sig. There was just a quick scrawl for his sig, no real time for any "hellos" or conversations. Mashima's signing had no giant line. He took his time writing his signature and even talked to me a little bit. I wonder if both artists were to do signings again today, would anything change.

5. Saint Young Man. Never heard of it. I should check out a few chapters.

6. The unknowns under gender amuses me. Are the Japanese that shy?

Last edited by Vapors on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Hospodar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Aimed at children, where? Children's books are a very specific genre in the UK and Japan. Neither OP or Harry Potter aim to be children's' books as for children readers lets try to use the distinguishing terms used by the publishers like young adults, teens, 13 and up, shonen, etc.

My mistake. Let me rephrase it.
The comparison to Harry Potter is actually a very good one. Both are aimed at a specific target group but are so well written that pretty much every age group and gender loves it.
Better?
Kutsu wrote:

Honestly, people should remember that manga magazines and volumes are low value products that a lot of buyers read in the train or when they have some spare free time. Manga, especially mainstream shônen and shojo, does initially not aim to be anything other than a cheap (in terms of price) entertainment for 15 year old boys/girls.

You could say the same for every form of entertainment. Music, Books, Movies etc are all meant for entertainment. There are differences in quality between movies, music, books, etc. and yes there are differences in quality between Mangas.
What they are meant to be and what they are are two different things.
When does something stop being just entertainment and becomes more?
Let’s take OP for example. Meant as “cheap” entertainment for boys who are 15 but read mainly by people over 18. I once saw documentation about a shut in who lost the will to live and was mostly at home doing nothing until he read One Piece and decided to follow his dream to become a doctor. It also made countless people cry and laugh.
I’m sure other Manga, whoever they are aimed for, have done similar things for other people as well.
So what for you is “cheap” entertainment is for the other a life changing piece of literature or just really good “entertainment”

Kutsu wrote:

Considering that, hating on a manga seems very stupid, no matter the justifications, don't you think ?

Hating on anything is pretty stupid don’t you think? Hate is an emotion and not something rational.
For example I’m not a Naruto hater. I once really liked it and the further I got the less I liked it. I was very disappointment with the Manga. This felling of disappointment can lead to hate by other people.
There are different reasons and situations that can lead to hate.
Vapors wrote:
6. The unknowns under gender amuses me. Are the Japanese that shy?

Some certainly are. But I think it’s mainly the old believe that boys will rather read something written by another male instead something written by a female.
Like the situation where Rowling hid her full name and used J.K. Rowling instead
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

I've seen a difference on Naruto/Bleach aspect though, I see a lot more people liking Bleach for the mindless sort of violence, but down-right hating Naruto. I think that might come from the market over-saturation here, and the perceived drop in the series quality of late. ( I don't know what they are talking about, I never like Naruto.)

You're also right in that the constant comparisons are probably part of the enraging factor. I think a problem is sometimes people don't realize it's "Big 3" in terms of popularity not quality.

ALot of people used to like bleach for mindless violence and interesting fights. Now, if you ask those people again, you may get another story.

Bleach is not longer the "big 3". Fairy Tail has surpassed Bleach. This Bleach manga act is worst than TV filter acts.
popularity = quality to me. It's no use to make write something that only couple people like it. You know that all the awards are based on popularity(voting) right?

IF there is a best manga of all time award. OP will probably win it. Of course if the award is in American, it will be different because of different voters.

different region has opinion on what's quality. or quality is just opinion?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

ALot of people used to like bleach for mindless violence and interesting fights. Now, if you ask those people again, you may get another story.

Bleach is not longer the "big 3". Fairy Tail has surpassed Bleach. This Bleach manga act is worst than TV filter acts.
popularity = quality to me. It's no use to make write something that only couple people like it. You know that all the awards are based on popularity(voting) right?

IF there is a best manga of all time award. OP will probably win it. Of course if the award is in American, it will be different because of different voters.

different region has opinion on what's quality. or quality is just opinion?

It's 1:41 where I am, I'm going to go see Planet of the Apes 1t 10:30 tomorrow morning, do I want to respond to an obvious bait? Eh, why not.
I'd honestly argue that Fairy Tail is not that great a series, the entire formula of plot is derivative of not only basic shonen tropes but One Piece's Style of world-building and characters.

Quote:

Shocked Laughing Uh... no. Awards are based on internal politics, look at the last academy awards Inception and Black Swan both had huge box office lost to Kings Speech. A perceived quality but really just oscar bait. And on the flipside, stupid summer blockbuster (Lets go with... Transformers 3) verses small film that didn't get that wide a release (Mmm... Tree of Life),now which is better? Now which one is more mainstream popular?
I think I love your paragraph because of how unbelievably wrong it is.

Quote:

Oh god I hope not, because I hope no one would honestly create such a stupid award with no qualifiers. You'd get no useable results because of the huge variety you'd get in the field. I'd certainly put One Piece as a candidate for best Shonen manga, but that's only if Most Influential Shonen has another category for the Dragonball Z's and Fist of the North Star's.

Quote:
or quality is just opinion?

I think at some point you probably have to understand that the people here are geeks on the Internet. Everything is an opinion.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail beating Bleach is not exactly shocking when you take into account Fairy Tail just got it's anime and people are discovering it and buying older copies. Bleach is well known, and anyone who cares enough to own it at this ten-year point already does. Not to mention these are only this year. All of Bleach's cumulative sales over it's entire lifespan(or even just as long Fairy Tail's been around) beat it out.

Past wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I am deeply saddened to see no trace of good ol' Katsura on this list. I guess Zetman really isn't that popular over there after all, I'd been wondering why we haven't gotten any animated material at all for it.
The list accounts for manga sold only since January 2010. I love Katsura's work too, but when was the last time he's actually written anything? Lingering sales of older manga will never come close to competing with current and recent releases. Which is why you don't see Rumiko Takahashi on the list either.

Speaking of her, it would be interesting to know who has the most cumulative manga sales over their entire career: Takahashi or Oda?

Zetman is a weekly manga and is still being published.

And yeah, it's criminal how underrated it is.
locus1001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This is only a comic rating in Japan for one year, there also exist all world. I am really intresting how much this mangas is popular on China, Brazil, India and other land. In America and Europe Bleach is more known as Fairy Tail in manga sort, anime is much more famed.
In last ranking ANN june F is 400k sold copies and B 600k. Manga have better and worse moment.

One Piece is cultural and business phenomenon and is not explanation why one title is popular and other not. Matrix in Asia was nothing, in west was a Big hit. Constantine with Keanu too,was vice versa. Bleach has long history and now is a new era, evrything is possible, Fairy tail is new, its have a best years, and author has a a lot idea.

Harry Potter is good but is weak when compared to best fantasy for young like Lewiss or D.W. Jones, and is same level as Eragon or Percy Jackson. Books and comic/anime is not good comparison, and HP is global ruler, OP only in Japan, maybe in other country in asia, not in the west. I think fairy tail is not a revelation, but Big 3 still exist in same sqad, maybe its time for BIG !!!!4!!!!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
locus1001 wrote:
This is only a comic rating in Japan for one year, there also exist all world. I am really intresting how much this mangas is popular on China, Brazil, India and other land.

Well here is a site that tracks comics and graphic novels in America, link. Goodluck with other lands but don't expect to see numbers anywhere close to those reported in Japan.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
locus1001 wrote:
This is only a comic rating in Japan for one year, there also exist all world. I am really intresting how much this mangas is popular on China, Brazil, India and other land.

This is the sales report for France:
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.actualitte.com%2Factualite%2F15982-manga-bilan-annuel-naruto-acbd.htm&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Übersetzen
France is the second biggest Manga Market outside of Japan and it is tiny compared to Japan.

The sales in America are said to be something between 50 000 and 120 000 per Volume.
Other Markets of other Countries are even smaller.

To give you an example. When the live action movie to Dragon Ball Z came out, some producer said the total sales of the Volumes were 350 Million. 150 Million of those were sold alone in Japan. So this means 200 million copies were sold around the World. Dragon Ball Z was gigantic, nothing recently, not even Naruto, does even slightly compare to the popularity it had.

I always like to compare Manga markets to American Football. In America American Football is gigantic, the same with Manga in Japan. Outside of America, there are leagues and people know it exits but most people neither watch nor are really interested in it. The same applies for Manga outside of Japan. Best what people do (outside of America) is to watch the Super bowl. You can compare the Super bowl to Dragon Ball Z.
This is of course only a metaphorical example to symbolize the difference between Japan and the rest of the world
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, sales report don't take into account scanlations or fansubs (or even legal streams). I can tell you most people are probably watching thier shows subbed and manga scanlated more than just following the US release (which tends to be far behind.. how else do people know the current events in Japan) especially when it comes to weekly shounen series.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thing is, sales report don't take into account scanlations or fansubs (or even legal streams).

Well the Japanese reports don't take into account PerfectDark and however else manga/anime gets shared around Japan.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:

The sales in America are said to be something between 50 000 and 120 000 per Volume.

At the height of its popularity Naruto was that popular but when the manga market collapsed the sales of Naruto collapsed as well, Naruto is probably now at 30,000.

I would be shocked if the average manga volume sold more than 3 thousand, there's probably 3 series that can average 20,000. A really great selling series might sell for 10,000-15,000 series.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Thing is, sales report don't take into account scanlations or fansubs (or even legal streams). I can tell you most people are probably watching thier shows subbed and manga scanlated more than just following the US release (which tends to be far behind.. how else do people know the current events in Japan) especially when it comes to weekly shounen series.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Thing is, sales report don't take into account scanlations or fansubs (or even legal streams).

Well the Japanese reports don't take into account PerfectDark and however else manga/anime gets shared around Japan.

Exactly as ArsenicSteel said. Where is a bigger Anime and Manga market there will be more Anime and Manga pirating.
Where do you think do come the raws for scanlations and fansubs from?
Especially the Anime pirating must be big. In Japan a DVD costs what? Something between 40-70$ if I remember correctly and on this DVD is only one or two Episodes. It is pretty much impossible for a 14 year old to buy those therefore there will be a lot of pirating of certain series.
I believe there is much less Manga pirating because you can get them very cheap new, even cheaper second hand or you can read them even cheaper in Manga cafes. But there will still be enough pirating for those as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4