• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii: Today's Anime Is Driven by Otaku, Merchandise

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
nightjuan wrote:
Which is why I also find it rather strange to see Oshii criticizing Gundam Unicorn because having a horn doesn't make it "different" enough. I guess he may have wanted to be funny, but apparently he's missing the point. Not only is Unicorn very well produced and executed, often using existing elements in interesting ways, it's simultaneously pandering to existing fans and selling merchandise while still trying to create a story that can stand on its own. And you know what? I believe it's accomplishing all of those goals.

He's not saying a horn doesn't make it different enough, he's saying the total sum of creativity in Unicorn is "the Gundam has a horn" - and 100% he's right. Gundam Unicorn is one of the most soulless and creatively dead shows I think I've ever watched.

I think there is more than a horn. It's a follow up sure so not wholly original. I'm enjoying it so far.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oshii discussed the nature of the "ghost" in Ghost in the Shell, mentioning that Japanese people can understand the concept more easily than foreigners.

I don't remember having a difficult time with this concept. I would be interested to know his reasoning for this conclusion. I'm going to assume there's a broader context to this that makes sense.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
He's absolutely right obviously.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
If that's where the money is, I suppose that's "just business" right? As displeased as I am by it, I'd rather have what's being produced now then a massive decrease in production.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story revolves around a timid second-year high school student who finds a kindred spirit in a girl he meets via a blood donation site. The girl is actually a vampire, and the comedy follows the boy's madcap efforts to get blood donations for her.
No, see, this isn't a total commercial sellout. There's no werewolf! All the modern vampire sellouts have to have werewolves, too.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

On a purely personal level, I can definitely sympathize with your previous remarks. The thing is, your description is focused on remembering and including those Japanese anime titles that were eventually licensed and released overseas. But that's only a fraction of all the anime produced during the decade. Far too many lesser works, including but not limited to those appealing to contemporary fads or past merchandise trends, were also created at exactly the same time and they are now simply forgotten by Western fans who had little or no exposure to them.

I don't think it would be a huge exaggeration to say that we're usually only taking the tip of the iceberg into account. In other words, judging the anime industry of bygone days using only the "greatest hits" as a guideline presents an artificial picture of what the market really looked like back then...and sets unrealistically high expectations for what it should look like now.

I don't want to say there haven't been any real changes, because that's not my point and we could even ostensibly argue the model's old problems have actually become far more serious along the way, but we should take care to avoid thinking of earlier decades as some sort of "golden era" for pure or selfless artistic inspiration, when there has always been another side of the coin, in every possible sense of the term, even during the best of times.

In another twenty years, I imagine there'll be plenty of people inside and outside the industry who will look fondly at the top works of the current era and try to forget everything that's average, mediocre or worse...but the Internet will be around to remind us of their existence, for better or for worse.

Part of me wants to agree with the open-mindedness of what you've written ~ but the other part feels way more cognizant of the era than your statements seem to suggest.

I actually own a number of Japanese issues of NewType from the early 90's (who'd have thought these would eventually come in handy?), and practically every page has an article or an advertisement for a series that saw a release here in the West. There's Nadia of the Secret Blue Water, Devil Hunter Yohko, Sailor Moon, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Slam Dunk, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Plastic Little, Heroic Legend Arslan, Cyber Formula, Sonic Soldier Borgman, Tokyo Babylon, Fortune Quest, Dirty Pair, Tenchi Muyo, Giant Robo, Oh My Goddess!, Ninja Scroll, Moldiver, Ushio and Tora, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Cobra, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, City Hunter, Akira, Patlabor, Five Star Stories, Votoms, Lupin, Nuku Nuku, Gunnm, KO Century Beast Warriors, Dominion Tank Police, and many many more.

And I'm not cherry-picking tiny, remote instances throughout the magazines and blowing them out of proportion to seem like they're more prevalent than they really are ~ these series literally have multi-page articles and full-page advertisements, and take up a 90% majority of the magazines (these are full color, 200 page magazines we're talking about). For reference, I'm looking at the July~November 1993 issues of Newtype, in case you ever happen to get your mitts on them (one of them happens to be the 100th celebration issue of Newtype).

My point is that almost all of these series have seen a western release, and it gives me a strong impression that the West doesn't have as limited an understanding for anime during those time periods as you seem to be suggesting. I get the authentic sense that many of the titles released here in the West largely reflect the broad spectrum of animation available during that era in Japan. It's true that there's the occasional Gakusaver, Rokudenashi Blues, Jungle King Tar-chan or Perrine Monogatari that hasn't seen a Western release that do show up in the magazines, but there's a significant amount that actually have seen the light of day here in the West. In that sense, I don't necessarily feel that older fans are just cherry-picking the best titles of the past without a proper larger context; at least, not to the extent you seem to be suggesting. Maybe if you were talking about anime going futher back into the early 80's and 70's I'd agree with you, but anime grew in popularity here in the States during the late 80's and 90's during the OVA revolution.

As a final note, I should probably clarify that by "West" I'm mostly talking about here in the United States, since my understanding is that anime has had better and earlier exposure in Central/South America and Europe (I was able to watch soccer anime on broadcast TV as a child when I first visited Italy in the early 90's, as well as Ranma 1/2 in Mexico City back in the mid-90's).

Some additional info: most of the advertisements in the magazines involve VHS and CD soundtrack collections, which seems distinctly different from the towels, cell phone charms, body pillows, plushies, etc. that seem to be a mainstay of the modern markets.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Next thing you know you will tell me there was never any such thing as the Admiral Reinhardt body pillow.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Next thing you know you will tell me there was never any such thing as the Admiral Reinhardt body pillow.

If you're talking about Legend of the Galactic Heroes, well, that series has spanned over two decades of material, from the novels written in the early 80's to the side story OVA episodes of 2000. Dakimakura have been around for a long time, but my understanding is that they only started featuring anime characters towards the end of the 90's. Cospa didn't even open up shop until 1995, and the growth in popularity of the otaku Dakimakura market seems to have mostly happened in the past decade (this is all just quick internet research on my part, so feel free to correct me if you're privy to some early 90's Dakimakura info Laughing).
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Oshii is right, Someone had to say it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

I actually own a number of Japanese issues of NewType from the early 90's (who'd have thought these would eventually come in handy?), and practically every page has an article or an advertisement for a series that saw a release here in the West.

I certainly don't doubt a significant percentage of high profile or popular properties from that time period did get some sort of release in the West. But I believe that's not really the point. Out of all the Japanese anime produced from 1990 to 1999, how many of those were major titles? That's what actually matters here and this discussion won't get us anywhere, at least not without some sort of statistics as opposed to simply trading personal recollections or incomplete evidence back and forth.

For every one of those titles you've mentioned there are others that did not get the same amount of exposure and ended up in the dustbin of history...even back in Japan itself. Which doesn't mean they weren't taking up broadcast slots or filling up store shelves at one point or another. The number of shows with only moderate or minor hype and limited lasting impact should also be considered, to say nothing of commercial flops and other instances of failure or sheer mediocrity.

Even NewType doesn't exactly give equal or comprehensive coverage to every single new anime these days. I have no reason to believe they extensively covered 100% of the industry's output back in the day, even if they did tend to properly highlight all the major titles and many of those did eventually end up in foreign markets.

Quote:
It's true that there's the occasional Gakusaver, Rokudenashi Blues, Jungle King Tar-chan or Perrine Monogatari that hasn't seen a Western release that do show up in the magazines, but there's a significant amount that actually have seen the light of day here in the West.

That's precisely where we disagree. For you all of those relatively obscure titles were only "occasional" and presumably few in number, while I'm willing to consider that they weren't so marginal in purely quantitative terms. Why? Because any industry based on supplying entertainment isn't exactly going to produce a constant stream of uninterrupted greatness spanning an entire decade. I don't think it's necessary to go through the effort of name-dropping titles that have fallen through the cracks in the West, to say nothing of the East, in order to demonstrate this.

Quote:
For reference, I'm looking at the July~November 1993 issues of Newtype, in case you ever happen to get your mitts on them (one of them happens to be the 100th celebration issue of Newtype).

That's fair enough, though it should also be clear that even the full run of 1993 issues wouldn't exactly provide comprehensive or representative coverage of all the anime produced or released between 1990 and 1999. If we're going to speak about the entire decade, then the required sample is obviously going to be larger than that.

Quote:
Some additional info: most of the advertisements in the magazines involve VHS and CD soundtrack collections, which seems distinctly different from the towels, cell phone charms, body pillows, plushies, etc. that seem to be a mainstay of the modern markets.

There were other products too, but I'll admit it's different enough...even if it's still another form of greedy marketing and merchandising at heart.

Last edited by nightjuan on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of hard for me to take what Oshii's saying seriously, after reading Mike Toole's latest column which mentioned how Nishiki merchandised the hell out of Yamato even way back in the 70s.

I think it's all just a lot of nostalgia glasses and cherry picking honestly
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I think it's all just a lot of nostalgia glasses and cherry picking honestly

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing to get wrapped around. Personally I see nothing wrong with stuff being driven by otaku or merchandise. More specifically I think merchandise is a good thing to have around if it is done right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
You don't necessarily need to bring the most original concept in the world to the table in order to make anime that is worth watching. The real problem, however, is only that far too many of today's "copies" aren't well-executed nor interesting enough to stand on their own, regardless of whether the target audience is or isn't familiar with the original.

I just wanted to begin by saying that I always enjoy reading your posts.

Could you, perhaps, explicate in greater detail regarding this statement? Is your concern stemming from the proliferation of pastiche within the ambit of otkau culture, or, are you addressing the propagation of homologous codes and pastiche within the totality of culture production in the postmodern epoch?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oshii said that anime has the advantage of allowing the creator to control a world from its foundation to its smallest details. Therefore, an anime director who uses that power can develop any subject matter from across the world or throughout history, and indulge in obsessions to the ultimate extreme.

I think it's fairly easy for Oshii to say this. Unfortunately, not everyone is Mamoru Oshii. Yes, Oshii has the ability to do that, but he's already a successful director.

For the average anime industry artist, that's not an option. You can't eat artistic integrity, so you have to produce something that folks will pay for. Creating something when the existence of a paying audience is unknown is a risk that not everyone can take, and I don't think Oshii has any right to tell people they should be taking that risk with their livelihoods.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
RiskyTheShinigami wrote:
Quote:
During the lecture, Oshii said that the current anime is mostly otaku-centric and made to be turned into merchandising. Oshii added that anime today is a "copy of a copy of a copy that is no longer a form of 'expression.'"

Quote:
The story revolves around a timid second-year high school student who finds a kindred spirit in a girl he meets via a blood donation site. The girl is actually a vampire, and the comedy follows the boy's madcap efforts to get blood donations for her.

And this somehow doesn't sound like so many other seinen comedies out there right now?

Too true.

I can understand what he's saying and he HAS produced some vastly original and creative series before, but this new one's premise sounds heaped in cliches.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13