• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best blending of 2D and 3D graphics.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't talking about the quality of the CG elements themselves, just the way that they were joined with the 2D animated elements. If you'll notice, I said that the 3D CG elements were obvious.

ETA: Sorry, I realize that I wasn't being clear in the way I made my statement. The CG is blatantly obvious in that it doesn't visually blend in with the 2D elements, but the way that the characters were animated riding the vehicles looks like it took a lot of work (in terms of matching up the 2D animated actions with the 3D animation), something which I found impressive.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
^ Hmm, too bad I don't have even one ep of the series to check if I'm right, but I could bet the "blending" you're talking about was good because the charas themselves were done in 3D. I may be horribly wrong though.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that might be true in some cases, but I don't think it was in all of them (or even most of them). If that is how they did it, they sure fooled me!
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Really good question. I am saddened by American animation almost completely abandoning 2D animation when I find it intrinsically more artistic than 3D. The animation that combines the motion of 3D with well-drawn 2D are my favorite visually.

I actually don't think Production I.G. is the best studio when it comes to merging CG elements with 2D elements. In Stand Alone Complex I thought the 3D stuck out a lot and looked like it was sitting on top of the 2D. Innocence did better with its lavish displays.

My favorite groups in this regard would actually be Gonzo and especially Studio 4C. Basically anything Mahiro Maeda has touched.

Gonzo is one of the groups that first started really pushing this with Blue Submarine No.6. I like to think of Last Exile as the successor to that. That show looked like it had the production values of a movie most of the time. There's also stuff that 4C did like The Animatrix and Genius Party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3