• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609:

And I forgot you were the self-appointed arbiter of post content evaluation.

Guess everyone's been forgetting something.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Fencedude5609:

And I forgot you were the self-appointed arbiter of post content evaluation.

Guess everyone's been forgetting something.

I'm not the one making sweeping evaluations of shows he hasn't watched.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I ask this in all seriousness: are Fujoshi and Fudanshi so starved of good shows about pretty boys so as to latch on to anything that looks high-budget? I've heard the stories about Uta no Prince-sama and they aren't kind. Yet it somehow sold like hotcakes, as if Fujoshi are so desperate to watch cute boys they'll buy something bad in order to encourage other similar shows.

Only speaking for myself. I have bought quite a few shows aimed at a female audience that I personally don't care for. I bought them to send the message that we (female fans) exist.

So yes.

(seeing something well made, with a budget, and aimed at us is very exciting. I think a large part of the euphoria you describe is actually the idea that we are being finally acknowledged as a viable market)
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
For the same reason that boy fans (and lady fans who are into otaku-type anime) get really excited when KyoAni announces a new cutie-girl anime like K-ON or Chuunibyou: a really neato studio who can portray "cute" like NOBODY'S BUSINESS making a show about characters they think are cute! KyoAni is always a big deal.

I get what you're saying, but the reaction from female fans has been stronger and more positive than the reaction from male fans with respect to previous Kyoto Animation announcements.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Myaow wrote:
For the same reason that boy fans (and lady fans who are into otaku-type anime) get really excited when KyoAni announces a new cutie-girl anime like K-ON or Chuunibyou: a really neato studio who can portray "cute" like NOBODY'S BUSINESS making a show about characters they think are cute! KyoAni is always a big deal.

I get what you're saying, but the reaction from female fans has been stronger and more positive than the reaction from male fans with respect to previous Kyoto Animation announcements.

Because cute girls are literally a dime-a-dozen? I mean I see exactly why they are more excited about this than I would be over the exact same thing only with girls.
fromtheashes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
I have no problem with them making this show (honestly why would I. I pretty much have zero problem with any company making what they want whether I like it or not) but I can really see the show being overhyped and being touted as much better as it is due to the whole drama over it.

It could be that good, but I just hope people review this (and anything for that matter) with the rose tinted glasses off.

That is a good point. Far too often, we have seen shows get over-hyped and then get blindly accepted by the mass amount of fans even if the show is probably shyte. This show, however, considering it's a KyoAni production doing something that totally different from what they've done before (and appealing to a different set of fans) is pretty deserving of the hyped up anticipation so far. Will it suck? It might. Is it going to be a fun show with the producers heart and soul put into it? Sounds likely. Will anyone, besides the most hard-core fujoshi, absolutely love this show?.....not likely. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by fromtheashes on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fennekin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Most of the people who wanted this anime didn't even live in Japan, so I'm willing to bet the show won't be getting the ratings Kyoto is expecting and most people will just illegally download the episodes. Heck, I doubt this series will even live to see a second season.
Rextyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Rextyn wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It looks to be literally K-On with dudes.

Other than the fact that the character designs in this show look like mature young men and not 12 year old girls?

Hm. I actually am kind iffy on the character designs--they're hot, but I preferred the original ones in the CM.

I agree with you from that angle, but I think the comment about the implied maturity of the character designs still stands on both the CM and the trailer for the actual show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Only speaking for myself. I have bought quite a few shows aimed at a female audience that I personally don't care for. I bought them to send the message that we (female fans) exist.

So yes.

Thank you, appreciate your input.

tuxedocat wrote:
(seeing something well made, with a budget, and aimed at us is very exciting. I think a large part of the euphoria you describe is actually the idea that we are being finally acknowledged as a viable market)

Yes. This is totally what I was getting at, if only vaguely. You've had god-awful Otome adaptations for years but I can't remember the last female-targeted show that had caused this much excitement. Nice of producers to finally accept that if they make high-budget shows for females then fans will come (no pun intended).
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I think that's because this is so totally new and exciting for girl fans, like a surprise party!! When KyoAni announces "we're gonna do another comedy/romance/drama about beautiful ladies" fans are happy about it but they don't have that element of surprise that pushes them from being excited to being ELATED!
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
It's so bizarro to me that the people who love K-ON and other shows like that are hating on this, and people who are excited about this are hating on K-ON?? Like others have said, they look like basically the same thing: total cuties having fun with really sweet animation!

Yeah. It is bizarre. At least wait until it airs before you pass judgement on it.
Rextyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rextyn wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It looks to be literally K-On with dudes.

Other than the fact that the character designs in this show look like mature young men and not 12 year old girls?

Yes, because high school boys look exactly like incredibly cut and toned 20 year olds.

TOTES REALISTIC

In what way does your goalpost moving observation change the fact that the character designs of the two shows you said are literally the same are in fact quite a bit different? And yes, in the real world, high school seniors look quite a bit like college age humans because the basically are. Or in your lingo, high school girls looking like 12 year olds: TOTES REALISTIC.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Myaow wrote:
It's so bizarro to me that the people who love K-ON and other shows like that are hating on this, and people who are excited about this are hating on K-ON?? Like others have said, they look like basically the same thing: total cuties having fun with really sweet animation!

Yeah. It is bizarre. At least wait until it airs before you pass judgement on it.

Not like this has stopped anyone from crapping on multiple shows per season for the last 5+ years just because they starred cute girls. I do think it's sad that people who have seen these things done to their shows would turn around and do it when they aren't getting something they want, but its hardly surprising or bizarre. Some of the people excited about this have done precisely this for cute girl shows. This is nothing new or unusual, it's just happening to a different kind of show than usual.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I do think it's sad that people who have seen these things done to their shows would turn around and do it when they aren't getting something they want...

Eeeeexactly! Totally feeling you here, Hitokiri Shadow buddy. The moe boys have to put up with sooo much crap from other fans for enjoying cute shows, so they should know better than to give girls a hard time for THEIR cute shows! ~*~we are one~*~
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Rextyn wrote:

In what way does your goalpost moving observation change the fact that the character designs of the two shows you said are literally the same are in fact quite a bit different? And yes, in the real world, high school seniors look quite a bit like college age humans because the basically are. Or in your lingo, high school girls looking like 12 year olds: TOTES REALISTIC.

They're obviously not literally 100% the same. The only thing thats 100% the same as K-On is...K-On.

The point is that if you object to the K-On girls "looking like they are 12" (which I don't agree with, mind) then why not accept that the FREE boys looking like they are 24 isn't particularly more realistic?

Personally I have no issues with the designs of either. I don't watch anime for hyper-realistic character designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 58