• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Panty & Stocking English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where does everybody thinking [as] has any interest in this show what-so-ever come from? [as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

Have you ever watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Robot Chicken? Or ANY of their native animation shows?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Where does everybody thinking [as] has any interest in this show what-so-ever come from? [as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

Have you ever watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Robot Chicken? Or ANY of their native animation shows?

Why yes I have seen them. And I fully stand behind my statement.

Those shows are surreal, but don't lean on sexually explicit humor as heavily as PSG does.

Also, Standards would practically make this a totally different show.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Also, what's the beef over Funi casting the same people? I never see complaints over Tara Strong or Tom Kenny popping up in almost every CN or Nick show on television.

Maybe because Tara Strong and Tom Kenny don't sound damn near the same in every role they portray. Can't say the same for the majority of the usual suspects Funimation is accustomed to using over, and over, and over, and over, and over.....
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Wow. I haven't been so simultaneously hyped up and bummed out in my life. I got the two perfect actresses to play Panty and Stocking. And yet there won't be a Blu-Ray release.

Whoopee shit. I wanna cry tears of joy and sadness and a smidgeon of laughter.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Also, what's the beef over Funi casting the same people? I never see complaints over Tara Strong or Tom Kenny popping up in almost every CN or Nick show on television.

Maybe because Tara Strong and Tom Kenny don't sound damn near the same in every role they portray. Can't say the same for the majority of the usual suspects Funimation is accustomed to using over, and over, and over, and over, and over.....

Plenty of voice actors have voices that sound the same, and plenty that are vastly different, including Tom Kenny and Tara Strong, I only ever see anime voice actors get slammed for it though.

Hell in Futurama, Maurice LaMarche gave Lrrr, Morbo, and Horrible Gelatinous Blob nearly identical voices, and no one rides his ass over it.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
[as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

They air this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYSpIz2FjU I'm sure P&S would fit in if [as] wanted it. They also air plenty of shows with sexual innuendo so I wouldn't worry too much about P&S.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Plenty of voice actors have voices that sound the same, and plenty that are vastly different, including Tom Kenny and Tara Strong, I only ever see anime voice actors get slammed for it though.

Hell in Futurama, Maurice LaMarche gave Lrrr, Morbo, and Horrible Gelatinous Blob nearly identical voices, and no one rides his ass over it.

Do Tara Strong and Tom Kenny use similar sounding voices in some of their work voice work? Yes. Do Tara Strong and Tom Kenny have an incredible range with the ability to do a number of dynamic voices. Yes. There's only about a handful of voice actors who do voice work in anime who I could say the same thing about, and that my dear is why there are a many who do no appreciate that funimation reuses the same voices with limited voice ranges to practically all their dubs.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
[as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

They air this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYSpIz2FjU I'm sure P&S would fit in if [as] wanted it. They also air plenty of shows with sexual innuendo so I wouldn't worry too much about P&S.

Family Guy is a much different show then when they first acquired it, and sexual innuendo and PSG's humor are two different things, as innuendo typically implies subtlety, and in the 6 episodes I saw, PSG doesn't do subtle.

Quote:
Do Tara Strong and Tom Kenny use similar sounding voices in some of their work voice work? Yes. Do Tara Strong and Tom Kenny have an incredible range with the ability to do a number of dynamic voices. Yes. There's only about a handful of voice actors who do voice work in anime who I could say the same thing about, and that my dear is why there are a many who do no appreciate that funimation reuses the same voices with limited voice ranges to practically all their dubs.

Comparing two very specific voice actors to every voice actor who works in anime will get us nowhere.

I used Tara Strong and Tom Kenny as examples of two VO's who oft show up in numerous shows with recognizable voices. FUNi's VO's have plenty range, you're just used to hearing them a lot, which can happen just as easily with a Tom Kenny or Tara Strong range if you watch enough shows they appear in.

There are just as many VO's in American animation with limited range, that don't catch flak because someone likes them enough to keep hiring them.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Family Guy is a much different show then when they first acquired it, and sexual innuendo and PSG's humor are two different things, as innuendo typically implies subtlety, and in the 6 episodes I saw, PSG doesn't do subtle.

They still air Family Guy though. I should have used a stronger word than innuendo as I don't think subtlety is something [as] does either. My bad. I still think it would be fine on [as] but that does beg the question, would they air it with their anime or with their comedy if they acquired it?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

They still air Family Guy though. I should have used a stronger word than innuendo as I don't think subtlety is something [as] does either. My bad. I still think it would be fine on [as] but that does beg the question, would they air it with their anime or with their comedy if they acquired it?

If it was somehow on their radar and they acquired it they'd likely air it with the rest their anime, like they did Milk-Chan, Shin-Chan, and FLCL.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Oh, so you're going to pretend like your condescending tone wasn't meant to be negative? Rolling Eyes Why bother being boringly snide in every possible post if you're just going to backpedal?

I'm not going to lather on praise for a dub I haven't even heard. So I made an observation that I believed to be true. I was not being negative and have not backpedaled on anything.

Laughing Not being negative? "Typical casting is typical." Your post - as usual - was passively-aggressively negative. But that's not really here nor there. What attracted my attention was your disingenuous cheez-ball attempt to act faux-innocent when someone inevitably responded to your negativity. Nothing wrong with being negative, just be a man about it. Oh and how about updating the Post-o-matic software that spits out your stuff to include memes created after 2003? Thanks in advance.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Hey, if people can say about Rie Kugimiya's typical casting is typical, then anybody can be said about anything. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I guess Aqua Teen, Ripping Friends, and Sealab are wholesome family comedies then? Not to mention the Shin-chan dub which premiered there?

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I used Tara Strong and Tom Kenny as examples of two VO's who oft show up in numerous shows with recognizable voices. FUNi's VO's have plenty range, you're just used to hearing them a lot, which can happen just as easily with a Tom Kenny or Tara Strong range if you watch enough shows they appear in.

There are just as many VO's in American animation with limited range, that don't catch flak because someone likes them enough to keep hiring them.

Probably because no one really talks about American stuff here, so it's no big surprise you wouldn't see people complain.

Yes, Tom Kenny and Tara Strong are very overused and identical. Tara Strong has about 2 voices, one she does for girls and one she does for boys, and even they aren't all that different aside from a slight pitch change. Add an influx here or there and yeah, pretty easy to spot her in a crowd. Tom Kenny has a bit more range, but is still easy to pick out of a cast, especially when he laughs.

For the record, throw in Jason Marsden and Cree Summers while you're at it. I say, Marsden alone got tired aftering hearing him every 3 minutes in Skyrim, then when I moved on to Final Fantasy XIII-2 I nearly shut the game off. Nicole Sullivan as well. The point is the only reason it's not brought up as much is because those VAs don't do any real VAing work for anime, outside maybe a one off dub some trivia-hound could name, where as Funi is a regular licensing community which gets covered in the anime community. American cartoon VAs and anime VAs tend to stay apart outside rare circumstances.
xeroth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Been looking forward to this series getting released since it aired in Japan... but no Blu-ray edition!? Anime hyper
Guess I'll just have to keep waiting...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
On the whole dubs debate, I'd just like to say....

No one.... NO ONE..... EVER complains about Steve Blum being in everything. Whether it's Western OR anime.

Just sayin'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7