• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did The Fans Kill Anime Strike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluePikmin11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
With Amazon's new anime licenses like Kokkoku, I think are still willing to compete with other anime subscription services.
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think Amazon is in charge of those channels. I looked into MHz. It has its own website and separate app and most of its shows are available on Hulu. Pretty sure Acorn and DramaFever are both independent as well. Amazon channels mystify me, because Showtime and HBO are also available as Amazon channels or separate services on separate apps. I'm not sure if Strike and Heero were unique as Amazon run and controlled channels, but I know that most of their other channels are services run by other entities.

I do happened to know that Amazon channel MHz is run by Amazon.

Amazon does run it's own channels although you can access some of these services through their own app. But the subscriptions are separate. I had a problem accessing Detective Montalbano (of course) on Amazon channel MHz. I emailed MHZ to let them know and they promptly replied Amazon handles MHz on their channel. The regular MHz app has another service for its app streaming. MHz did notify Amazon of the problem and Montalbano was back in a few hours. MHz may have the content but Amazon subcontracts and is responsible for its stream.

Amazon also let me know that they knew I could not access a show on Drama Fever. As compensation they sent me a $1 credit. That's amazon not DF.

Hulu, as well as Netflix, may have the Acorn shows but the majority of MHz shows are exclusive to them unless you want to pay per episode. I only saw one that had Hulu as an option. I've decided to get rid of Acorn since their catalog hasn't been changing much. And it should be easy, it just one click at Amazon.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think Amazon is in charge of those channels. I looked into MHz. It has its own website and separate app and most of its shows are available on Hulu. Pretty sure Acorn and DramaFever are both independent as well. Amazon channels mystify me, because Showtime and HBO are also available as Amazon channels or separate services on separate apps. I'm not sure if Strike and Heero were unique as Amazon run and controlled channels, but I know that most of their other channels are services run by other entities.

I do happened to know that Amazon channel MHz is run by Amazon.

Amazon does run it's own channels although you can access some of these services through their own app. But the subscriptions are separate. I had a problem accessing Detective Montalbano (of course) on Amazon channel MHz. I emailed MHZ to let them know and they promptly replied Amazon handles MHz on their channel. The regular MHz app has another service for its app streaming. MHz did notify Amazon of the problem and Montalbano was back in a few hours. MHz may have the content but Amazon subcontracts and is responsible for its stream.

Amazon also let me know that they knew I could not access a show on Drama Fever. As compensation they sent me a $1 credit. That's amazon not DF.

Hulu, as well as Netflix, may have the Acorn shows but the majority of MHz shows are exclusive to them unless you want to pay per episode. I only saw one that had Hulu as an option. I've decided to get rid of Acorn since their catalog hasn't been changing much. And it should be easy, it just one click at Amazon.

But MHz Networks is separate from Amazon:
MHz Networks Website wrote:

MHz Networks is a global media company which specializes in presenting top-quality international television
programming to American audiences
With Anime Strike, Amazon directly licensed some of their anime content for streaming from Japanese networks. Amazon is running a channel for shows MHz Networks has licensed, not licensing foreign shows directly, so it's different in that way. As far as I know, MHz Networks' MHz Choice streaming service and app has the same programming available, whereas no one else has Amazon's Noitamina or Animeism shows.
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

With Anime Strike, Amazon directly licensed some of their anime content for streaming from Japanese networks. Amazon is running a channel for shows MHz Networks has licensed, not licensing foreign shows directly, so it's different in that way. As far as I know, MHz Networks' MHz Choice streaming service and app has the same programming available, whereas no one else has Amazon's Noitamina or Animeism shows.

I'm not disagreeing with that. In fact, MHz networks also has a cable network in the DC area. But Amazon is responsible for the MHz streaming on their channel not MHz networks. I never said Amazon was the original licensor of the content. The only Amazon channels where content was "curated" by them that I know of were Strike and Heera. Both are gone. (Amazon channels has a new Bollywood channel initiated in the last few weeks.)

Somebody over on the CR forums had suggested half jokingly that CR rent some of the servers at Amazon. (Every night is now Saturday night, sadly. I was really shocked last night. Very bad.) The Amazon control setup in addition to the prime fee and the subscription fee on top of that really make it impossible.
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:
All Anime Strike content was available in Canada for no extra fee on top of Prime, and Prime costs $79 CAD ($63.60 USD) per year. Or put another way, Canada got all of Anime Strike for $5.30 USD a month with no other cost (no additional paywall).

Despite this, very few people in Canada were watching Anime on Prime Video, so far as I can tell. Most Anime fans that I know have Crunchyroll subscriptions, which at $60 CAD per year ($48.31 USD per year or $4.02 USD per month) is by far the cheapest way to watch anime in the country. Many have Netflix subscriptions. Far less have Prime, and of those who have Prime, most didn't even know they could watch anime on Prime Video.

The bigger problem in Canada was the fact that it wasn’t as easy to watch Amazon titles of any type unless you were willing to watch on the PC. Amazon has been really bad about giving Canadians the same types of device access that the US has.

The quality issues of the subs on their titles were a universal problem though (talking to an Amazon CSR about subtitle issues in “My Girlfriend is Shobitch” was a real eye opener (for the CSR Shocked )

NefCanuck
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
most of the amazon strike content that was not sentai would fall under AoA or ponycan so likey they will fill in the rest for BD's
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Amazon made so many mistakes with Anime Strike that failure was almost guaranteed and the only surprise was that they pulled the plug on it so quickly. As a fan of dubs I was disappointed every time a show was announced for Anime Strike and while Netflix is a tad obsessed with binge watching at least they spend the money to properly support it. Amazon on the other hand was half hearted about anime and never even attempted to understand the market.

The way I see it, Amazon seemed to think that anime viewers were exactly the same as the highbrow cinematophiles or other high-end, high-income media consumers, who would gladly pay the extra paywall to get what they want. (Technically, stuff like paid DLC would be like double paywalls too, and I've been in hobbies aimed at the affluent that have triple and quadruple paywalls, and the most they seem to care about is that they now have items in their personal basement bar rooms their spouses might not like.)

Animegunclub wrote:
But I could see why people decided to slip back into piracy for those series if they didn't have an Amazon Prime account. What they should have done is open a separate streaming company for it or buy an existing one and keep it separate from Amazon Video.

That would've been a great idea, but this wouldn't have been something the Amazon people would've thought of. From what I'm seeing on here and other anime-centric sites, anime viewers/manga readers are one of the minority of groups of people in the west without a large amount of Amazon Prime subscribers, or buying from Amazon in general. This is an attribute that'd be difficult to see from Amazon's perspective, as they'd mainly look at Amazon Prime subscriptions (and non-Prime buyers) and might be too dominant of a force on the Internet to even factor in the people outside of its current buyership.

The fact that there is so much mention of a "double paywall" as a reason for not subscribing to Anime Strike shows how few anime fans actually subscribe to Amazon Prime. I'm in an Amazon Prime household, so to me it would've been more like a single paywall as Amazon Prime fees are pretty much part of the househld's monthly bills like Internet, phone, and electricity.

DmonHiro wrote:
While AS did a lot of things (well, most of them) wrong it did do one thing right: weekly episodes (delayed sometimes, but still). Sadly, the curse of Netflix still harms us. But the curse might be lifted soon. Unless you're in the US.

Well, Netflix has its own audience, one that it knows very well--that is, the binge-watcher who will wait until a season ends before watching it all at once or over a few days. The problem is that Netflix's people thought anime viewers would be like their normal Netflix viewers.

thenix wrote:
I don't think Amazon's goal was to rule the anime streaming business, I think their goal was to get anime fans who don't have a prime subscription to sign up. It fits in with their "Channels" department so they slotted it in there. Their other channels also have a cost beyond the prime paywall.

That was a hunch that I had too, and something I've never been sure about between that or the (mistaken) thought that most anime fans already subscribe to Amazon Prime and them considering the second paywall to not be that big of a deal.

relyat08 wrote:
Well, no actually. It's not good for the industry, in the short-term at least, because of reasons stated in the article, expressly the increase of licensing costs and the ability to reach an audience that was not previously familiar with or heavily invested in the medium. But it's mostly good for the consumers excluding that. Don't confuse consumers with the industry though, they are not the same thing.

On the other hand, Netflix's decisions are pointing towards doing exactly that, both in how Netflix pays for some of these anime directly and how whoever picks shows does it based on "Would someone who isn't a fan of anime want to see this?"

DerekL1963 wrote:
Good point. Growing up in the 70's, when there was no method of watching a show other than when it aired... I take the longer view as well. But folks that are in their 20's (and to some extent 30's) grew up in a world of instant satisfaction and a cornucopia at the their fingertips. There's a certain sense of self-entitlement at work there.

I feel like eventually, these talks of no DVR, no streaming services, and having to actually wait for things to be released and going to to the store to buy it legit or waiting all night to torrent one episode will turn into one of those "Back in my days..." monologues.

shadowypoet wrote:
Had Prime for several years and never used Amazon's video service much because of how hard it is to browse their content and clunky the Roku app is. With the demise of Strike, I figured I would binge some of the anime now available on Prime. Only got halfway through the first episode before I realized there is no way to change the awful subtitle formatting on the Roku app, the only option available is the horrible 1980's white lettering on a black background. If I had subscribed to Strike, I would have cancelled after seeing how horrible their subtitle format on Roku is. Their web player at least gives you some options to change the default to.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind that, as that's how my TV's closed captioning works, and I'm pretty used to that.

thenix wrote:
If it's not being licensed at a price the price goes lower. It's the same reason the costs assumably have gone up, because there is more demand for it. How many shows haven't been licensed in the past year?

Well, that also depends on the franchise. Coming to mind several years ago was anything related to Evangelion, in which Geneon refused to budge for the price to western rights, making no compromises, until the studio started feeling financial distress and the licensors got desperate to get any money they could.

EricJ2 wrote:
And when it blew up in their face, they looked for one thing that would Solve it and make all the angry fans happy again...And fortunately, judging from most of the complaints, they didn't have far to look.
And now they're going to take their ball home and concentrate on demographics where the viewers DON'T get upset so often, like horror or sports.

Do you really think sports fans are more chill than anime fans? Sports fans are the ones responsible for the legendary Heidi debacle, actually physically gather together in public places every week, and rage at exclusivity deals to an extent previously seen only with New Coke. Sports fans are the one group of fans most infamous for rowdy, angry riots, which is true everywhere in the world.

(I don't know quite as much about horror fans, though I do know they get upset quite a bunch too, albeit due to a horror fan's preferences being quite far removed from the mainstream so they're used to it.)
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The article is writ as if Amazon have utterly abandoned this market, and it's far from the truth. They've just removed the double pay wall, and are offering their properties, old and new--to include some from the current season--on good ol' Amazon Prime.

Amazon's anime library isn't particularly robust, but depending on who you are, the subscription might well be the best deal on the market, over-all. If you're a student, it is objectively the best.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
They may not have abandoned the market, but they're not making it easy to find their new offerings. I went looking for Kokkoku this afternoon. A search via the Roku app turned up nothing by that name, nor does it appear using the PS3 app. I did find it via the web interface, but of course, I couldn't watch it in Chromium on Linux. Google Chrome is the only browser that works on Linux for Amazon video.

With Strike, everything was in one place. Now I have to search through reams of kids shows to find the occasional Animeism or Noitamina offering.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I did find it via the web interface, but of course, I couldn't watch it in Chromium on Linux. Google Chrome is the only browser that works on Linux for Amazon video.

That's unfortunate to hear, though hardly surprising. Is this a Flash issue, or something more substantial? I take it that the likes of Firefox and Midori would also be affected.

(Still, at least it amounts to yet another reason not to buy one of their subscriptions.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I did find it via the web interface, but of course, I couldn't watch it in Chromium on Linux. Google Chrome is the only browser that works on Linux for Amazon video.

That's unfortunate to hear, though hardly surprising. Is this a Flash issue, or something more substantial? I take it that the likes of Firefox and Midori would also be affected.

I think it has to do with DRM though I'm not sure. Prime works fine in Google Chrome on Linux, but I try to use open-source browsers like Firefox and Chromium whenever possible.

There are also apps for Prime for all platforms I use including Roku, PS3, and Android. As I said, I was surprised that I couldn't find Kokkoku on the Roku or PS3, but maybe that has changed? I haven't checked again. No Chromecast support either since Amazon wants you to buy a FireTV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5