• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon Got Me Into This Business and I'm Exhausted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Haterater wrote:
Hate that there wasn't anything done when Todd Haberkorn basically admitted what he did. Felt like he got rewarded for keeping his mouth shut. Another good voice, but awful person.

Todd didn't keep quiet, he jumped on the accusations pretty early on and dumped a bunch of texts between the two of them to prove it was consensual which apparently convinced everyone so companies continued to work with him.

You're (dangerously) misconstruing two things.

The texts weren't to prove the act was consensual. That definition, legally, has to do with the both parties' ability to consent in the first place when one claimed that they were black-out drunk and other claims they were also drunk. The provided texts were used to imply that the situation is retroactively okay because the alleged victim did not cease contacting Haberkorn immediately afterwards and appeared to be seeking some kind of relationship. The texts were provided to try to state that the situation was result of being spurned after a hook-up instead of actual wrong doing. A better summary of the texts is something like "Maybe this is legally rape but you were fine with it until I wouldn't hook-up/be your boyfriend so really this is about spite."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I also saw Haberkorn voices Rei's grandpa in the Eternal dub. How does someone with allegations against him get to be both the ADR director and voicing multiple characters in the thing he's directing? In the Viz dub of the 90s anime Rei's grandpa is voiced by Michael Sorich.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that the reasons I hadn't purchased the box sets was after viewing the series on Hulu--I definitely was not happy with how the "restoration" turned out. Next to that, I loved the VAs, but I actually did not like the script. I pretty much dropped it after R.

I like the idea of being true to the source, but for me it was a bit jarring imo. (It sounds like the treatment was worse in the Eternal films though. Why use honorifics now?)

I was only noticing that the script was better after seeing the SuperS movie, but the writer for the script was one of the VAs.

Kinda sad to hear that the DiC tracks are lost forever. I still cherish the original dub, even after the edits, and I also think the hate for it is kinda strange. It seems to be from people who never grew up with it, but I still kinda feel like the cast really did like who they were voicing and performed to the best of what they got (with cringey script and all). I just think that the energy given to continuously bash a 20+ year old dub is just...meh

Rant aside, I didn't know that the manga still had problems, even now. I've only purchased two copies of the Eternal Edition, but since there's a full color release online, I'm hoping that they will have it available for physical release.

Also, those "lawyers" are the worst pieces of sh^t that has ever entered the anime industry, and I don't miss any of what happened in the last year and a half.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
(It sounds like the treatment was worse in the Eternal films though. Why use honorifics now?)

Speculation is that Toei and/or Takeuchi supervised these dubs and are responsible due to issues that went down with the Latin American dub of Crystal where they almost used the 90s DiC dub names like they did back in the day plus there were issues with some of it's European dubs as well. I remember with Portugal, they were forced to redub the transformation & attack names to English instead of the translated Portuguese names they used before that aired early in Crystal's TV run on Biggs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

I remember waking up at some ungodly morning hour to attempt to see Sailor Moon in syndication

Where we were, it was 5am in the morning on a Fox (yes, Fox!) station. It was their very first show of the day since the station shuts down between 2am-5am. I'd be just waking up, while my friends would be coming back from the night out, so we'd all watch it together. We remember they'd play the national anthem, then immediately followed by the Sailor Moon theme song. Laughing

There were 3 major English mailing lists back in the day:
1.) Japan-based ML ran by seiyuu otaku Hitoshi Doi
2.) ML ran from Indiana University
3.) ML ran from SUNY Stonybrook - also where the "Save Our Sailors" (S.O.S.) campaign sprouted from

SM fansubbers/bootleggers "E. Monsoon / S. Baldric" and "VKLL" ran their operations from NY
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
Sometimes I wish other magical girl series like Ojamajo DoReMi and Tokyo Mew Mew got the same level of attention as SM, PMMM and Utena.

They're as good if not better but most people's experience with MG shows seem to have begun and ended with those three.

Bandai released a lot of merchandise for Doremi and there was even the 20th anniversary movie, Looking for Magical Doremi, that was released last year. Toei is also re-releasing the series on Blu-ray.

Tokyo Mew Mew got the spin-off manga and recently there was a pop-up cafe celebrating all of Nakayoshi's magical girl series (MMPPP, Saint Tail, Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew). It's also getting some fashion collaborations.

A lot of nostalgic magical girl series are largely following Sailor Moon's footsteps in having merchandise marketed to older women instead of young girls nowadays.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
When we look at the big tentpole franchises that got kids into crazy foreign cartoons, the rest of them forged domestic genre markets. Boys who liked watching punches and kicks can find plenty of other battle anime. So re-releases of DBZ could return to an ever replenishing well of fans. DBZ-similar shows would cultivate the market. When Macross and Gundam Wing were on Toonami, there would be no shortage of pretty boys acting frazzled in space.

Sailor Moon and its genre, at best, are fractured. Girls went on to other things, and the boys who liked it, also moved on. Unless you were me presenting panels on the genre.

Where did fans of Sailor Moon go? Where'd the directors go? Ikuhara and Sato had opposite directing styles, and while Ikuhara was nearly a household name for diehard fans, he is a tad eccentric. Meanwhile Sato actually would take everything that made Sailor Moon good, and rinse and repeat it time and time again. He'd hit the genre time and time again, and even recently tapped a Precure season.

If I wanted Ikuhara's zaniness, he'd get more zany projects. If I wanted Sato to assemble a super team for quality anime, he'd make plenty. If I wanted Sentai Style Mahou Shoujo...we would eventually get more than we could ever consume.

It was just so hard to maintain the fandom. Even when DBZ was 'out' all of a sudden you'd get a string of good DBZ games, like when Budokai came out. Even Toriyama himself kept at work and pumped out manga. Takeuchi did not. Even for awhile it looked like DBZ was falling aside. People would make memes about DB Super and discuss the new manga. Even old memes about powerlevels run strong to this day. Meanwhile Sailor Moon's relevance dropped off a cliff, if not for Tuxedo Mask's hammy appearances. So the remake totally needed to make sure that didn't come back. Can't have any fun here!!

I just feel Sailor Moon's exhausting as a franchise is tied up with the failure to maintain momentum in the franchise itself. The fans moved on. The creators moved on. The only thing that didn't keep up was this franchise.

Even Mazinger Z is an annual staple in Super Robot games, and that's far older. The SM Crystal remake had a chance to give us a new look into a beloved ancient hero, but instead it turned a spotlight onto the lackluster source material. No one new to Sailor Moon watchign Crystal will be going back.

And there's no way newcomers will ever wake up at 5am on a school day to catch Sailor Moon airing just after Bananas in Pajamas. Which is how I had to do it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
Tokyo Mew Mew got the spin-off manga and recently there was a pop-up cafe celebrating all of Nakayoshi's magical girl series (MMPPP, Saint Tail, Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew). It's also getting some fashion collaborations.

There was also a SD Blu-ray set of the old anime released in Japan a year ago.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
(It sounds like the treatment was worse in the Eternal films though. Why use honorifics now?)

Speculation is that Toei and/or Takeuchi supervised these dubs and are responsible due to issues that went down with the Latin American dub of Crystal where they almost used the 90s DiC dub names like they did back in the day plus there were issues with some of it's European dubs as well. I remember with Portugal, they were forced to redub the transformation & attack names to English instead of the translated Portuguese names they used before that aired early in Crystal's TV run on Biggs.

Ugh...that's so... wow.

I just finished Part 1 of the movie and it was....alright.

I actually like the Amazon Trio in this one but I wish there was more screen time for them.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually had no idea Todd had hired the same dumb lawyers Vic hired back then, but sure enough that's exactly what he did. Seems like it was his "just in case" measure or some shit. I don't think he even ever mentioned that, but they bragged about it in one of their Vic livestreams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5