• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
In anime context, an airhead is actually a dojikko. So no, Nino isn't one.

Mushi-Man wrote:
Also I have a question for everyone watching this series. Would you consider this anime to be seinen or josei? I ask this because I'm torn on this decision.

If this is seinen, then SZS is practically a snuff film. I wonder though, if my own perception of that classification is skewed somewhat? I thought only really serious and/or violent stuff got that mark.

Edit: holy cow, TVtropes says Kanon is a seinen series. What the... Ok, time to revisit definitions.

Is there still anybody who cares about it? Now the classification depends on the publishers opinion, nothing more.

And tell me when Nino really act stupid? When she doesn't or pretend to not know what Rec means?
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
um I did already and everybody chooses to ignore it. Kinda funny too. You all ask me for proof and don't acknowledge it when I give it to you. Whatever, but you are right no one really cares. Whether she's an airhead or not is not really important.

Discourse so far:

I say she's an airhead because most times she acts stupid

You guys are saying ok she acts stupid but most times she is smart.

Oh and whoever said the person coming from another world foreigner... whatever example. That's a poor example. She knows that person is not a kappa. She knows she is on/born/lives on Earth. Venus crap is a defense mechanism, but the major fact is that she actually believes she's from another world. Doesn't that say she is kind of acting stupid? Not in tune with the real world? If you met a random person who claimed he was from Mars you would think he's acting stupid and weird. So why can't you do the same for an animated character? Now that's a question for all of you.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
@ShinobiX:
Well, if you would like to think of Nino as an airhead, then you go right ahead and do that. I'm not going to force you to pay attension to a series before making blanket statements about characters or the the unaired plots future.

Also, Jessica Simpson is an idiot.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Since you guys are blind:

Quote:
She forgets things easily
She says she's from Venus
She says her friends a kappa
She lies to herself about the truth
She sleeps in a draw
She doesn't know what a date is
She lives under a bridge
She used to think it was acceptable to bath naked in public
She thinks that wacky world is real life
She acts innocent and pretends not to know whats really going on

Jessica Simpson is not an idiot. I take offense to that lol Dude she makes and produces her own music. She reads her contracts, and obviously she knows how to manage her money. Acting stupid once in a while is not a crime. You only believe that because the media/tabloids blew it out of proportion (the whole chicken of the sea thing uncalled for). Same thing with Paris Hilton too. Only gullible people believe everything access access, Hollywood whatever say. Gossip is not factual thus those shows/newspapers are considered garbage by the masses.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I thought this was a thread about an anime series. Guess I was wrong, huh? Laughing

We don't know a whole lot about Nino. As such, we can't really brand her an 'airhead', she might have a perfectly good reason for acting the way she does.

ShinobiX wrote:

She sleeps in a draw
She lives under a bridge

None of those things, to me, suggests she's an 'Airhead'. They suggest she would struggle to adapt to modern society, that she's a little unusual (Okay, okay, a LOT unusual) and she's a bit naive.

Then again, we're back to the whole 'Define Airhead' discussion, and that's a can of worms I don't want to be associated with, soooo...

Embarassed
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Oh wow, I thought this was a thread about an anime series. Guess I was wrong, huh? Laughing

We don't know a whole lot about Nino. As such, we can't really brand her an 'airhead', she might have a perfectly good reason for acting the way she does.

ShinobiX wrote:

She sleeps in a draw
She lives under a bridge

None of those things, to me, suggests she's an 'Airhead'. They suggest she would struggle to adapt to modern society, that she's a little unusual (Okay, okay, a LOT unusual) and she's a bit naive.

Then again, we're back to the whole 'Define Airhead' discussion, and that's a can of worms I don't want to be associated with, soooo...

Embarassed

A thread about anime, utter blasphemy! Smile

But in all seriousness, Nino isn't a airhead. She is much smarter and actually states some pretty intelligent sentences through out the last four episodes. Nothing she has done is really that weird and out there. I much rather have a weird character than a over the top moe girl that continuously does senseless figure gestures.

But like the gentleman before me, I really don't want to be associated with that conversation.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well technically there is nothing much more to say until the next episode comes out. I call this passing the time.
conbones

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Well guys i enjoyed reading all six pages of this thread almost as much as i do the show Smile It seams that y'all have covered all the bases thus far. All i have to say is i like this show its funny and that works for me.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow people actually read? Hm well figures I go to the last page.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, as a big fan of spoiler[Maria Holic, I naturally loved eppie 5's OP].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah I also noticed that episode 5's OP's theme, it was spoiler[like Maria Holic's opening, a partial joke about haveing characters with a simular name and sadistic personality. That being said, it offers a hint of irony on the insults of being a crossdresser, even the blood shooting out of Sister can be likend.]

Good all around, they introduced a new character, kind of a spoiler[moe character, though of course weird. It was kind of funny that they said that no one falls on banana peels, not even in comedies, as Hitagi in Bakemonogatari slipped on one.]

Lastly on the subject that spoiler[Recruit was a leech felt funny, I was practicly expecting him to break down or pass out. Instead his face freezes like a supervillain and starts to laugh evily, I wonder what kind of job he will get.]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yeah I also noticed that episode 5's OP's theme, it was spoiler[like Maria Holic's opening, a partial joke about haveing characters with a simular name and sadistic personality. That being said, it offers a hint of irony on the insults of being a crossdresser, even the blood shooting out of Sister can be likend.]

Good all around, they introduced a new character, kind of a spoiler[moe character, though of course weird. It was kind of funny that they said that no one falls on banana peels, not even in comedies, as Hitagi in Bakemonogatari slipped on one.]

Lastly on the subject that spoiler[Recruit was a leech felt funny, I was practicly expecting him to break down or pass out. Instead his face freezes like a supervillain and starts to laugh evily, I wonder what kind of job he will get.]

spoiler[Slightly later in the series, Recruit becomes a teacher for the children that reside under the bridge.]

But I am really enjoying this series, the author really is talented at drawing expressions.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved episode 5's opening

it did remind me a lot of Maria Holic (it doesn't help that I just finished watching that not to long ago Anime hyper)

But the song it self is catchy can't wait for a full copy, but the animation seemed a little blocky in the way it was set up, maybe to much effect work on the dummy's and dance thing?
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
it's got the parts like in episode one and i liked the first one a lot. So this one is back on track with it's wheels for me.

I also enjoyed the new opening!
Kevin R

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I liked the first opening better, I didn't expect them to change it so soon. But maybe i should have expected that....hmm....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9