• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean Anime Reveals Promo Video, Cast, Staff, December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
So why was Violet Evergarden released on Blu Ray in the U.S., using the Netflix dub?

Not really anime, but I know Viz has released Castlevania on Blu Ray as well and that's a Netflix original.
Castlevania doesn't have an English dub in the same way an Anime does. Nne of these Netflix titles that have been re-dubbed for home release have been dub only or needed the Japanese audio re-recorded. Or to put it another way, these publishers license the Anime, that Netflix doesn't own, and sometimes the dub that Netflix does own. Netflix owns Castlevania outright, they weren't going to license the audio separate from the show.

My point still stands, Viz released Castelvania on Blu Ray and Funi released the Violet Evergarden on Blu Ray, neither needing to change any of their audio. So I'm not sure why NJ thinks the series would need a new dub, for a Blu Ray release.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So basically what I’ve gathered from this thread so far is that licensing is a huge headache and mess. Got it.

Hopefully we’ll receive more details in the coming months on how the series will be released, when it will be dubbed, and which company, if any, will helm a physical release of the series (and if it’ll need to be redubbed).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
ssjtennis1 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
That's... interesting. A bummer for Viz and physical collectors for sure, always a little frustrating when a different company snatches up part of a franchise like this). Hopefully Viz will be able to get the physical rights somewhere down the line.
Not just this, but it's a bummer for people that watch Jojo on Toonami, since Part 6 will never air on the block. Not unless some miracle occurs, but I think getting Part 6 released on physical will happen way before Toonami watchers will be able to see it.

The Toonami crowd will be fine once they realize that they don't have to wait over a year after the series aired to start watching the series with an English dub (assuming it's there in December like any other Netflix release).

But ya, it is quite unfortunate about the physical release being an unknown now.
I mean... yeah, but that's also if they have Netflix or are willing to get Netflix. From a personal standpoint, I hate that this is going to be on Netflix because I don't have it, nor do I want it. The hubby and I pay $25 a month for Crunchyroll and HBO Max, which have WAY more than what Netflix offers that we'd like to watch, and then stick with Toonami for most anime viewing otherwise. I hate the fact that series that we've been most hyped about have been picked up by Netflix because we don't want to pirate but we also don't want to buy another streaming service knowing that the only thing we'll watch on there are those series. And we honestly didn't think that Part 6 would go to Netflix, that Viz would get it like the rest of the series (minus the OVAs; figured the OVAs had a far different contract to what the TV series did, and hence why Netflix got those), and then Toonami would air Part 6 probably by summer 2022. But with this? Welp... now we're stuck either paying for Netflix to watch it or just never watch it at all.

But again, that's my personal complaint. For others, it may just be as simple as it sucks not having it on TV like the rest of the series. There's a fun community that watches anime on Toonami every Saturday night, and watching Jojo live with with this community is rather enjoyable, but we're not going to have that for Part 6.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I mean... yeah, but that's also if they have Netflix or are willing to get Netflix. From a personal standpoint, I hate that this is going to be on Netflix because I don't have it, nor do I want it. The hubby and I pay $25 a month for Crunchyroll and HBO Max

I don't know what your situation is, but are you paying monthly for Crunchyroll? I have an annual membership where I pay $80 once a year for my premium account. Seems like a better value overall to just pay yearly if you use Crunchyroll a lot.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zagnaphein wrote:

You realise they outbid them right? You release Netflix realised how Hot Jojo is and wanted it to their weaponry right?

If Toonami or CR wanted it they could have bid on it but as a person from TOonami tweeted (a person posted his tweets) Netflix has bigger pockets then them.

I know exactly how and why this happened, but knowing it doesn't leave me any less disgusted at the news. I dislike almost everything about Netflix's business model, not least of which how they stubbornly refuse to simulcast already-broadcast episodes out of blind adherence to their abhorrent binge paradigm. I have never paid for a streaming service, and I have no plans to start paying for a streaming service. What I do have is a physical anime collection that is (frighteningly) approaching 1000 unique items over more than 15 years of buying. If this news interferes with Part 6 getting a physical release, then I will sail the high seas without even a smidge of guilt.

What really gets me is the lack of loyalty on the Japanese side of things. Why was this even open for bidding in the first place? You've had a working relationship with the same US partners on this series for almost a decade now, they've all done very well by the property, but after all that it's "lol **** you Netflix money!" It's just gross.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Zagnaphein wrote:

You realise they outbid them right? You release Netflix realised how Hot Jojo is and wanted it to their weaponry right?

If Toonami or CR wanted it they could have bid on it but as a person from TOonami tweeted (a person posted his tweets) Netflix has bigger pockets then them.

I know exactly how and why this happened, but knowing it doesn't leave me any less disgusted at the news. I dislike almost everything about Netflix's business model, not least of which how they stubbornly refuse to simulcast already-broadcast episodes out of blind adherence to their abhorrent binge paradigm. I have never paid for a streaming service, and I have no plans to start paying for a streaming service. What I do have is a physical anime collection that is (frighteningly) approaching 1000 unique items over more than 15 years of buying. If this news interferes with Part 6 getting a physical release, then I will sail the high seas without even a smidge of guilt.

What really gets me is the lack of loyalty on the Japanese side of things. Why was this even open for bidding in the first place? You've had a working relationship with the same US partners on this series for almost a decade now, they've all done very well by the property, but after all that it's "lol **** you Netflix money!" It's just gross.

Look, I am sorry, but you are a minority. Most people binge things. Also, dub fans are used to this, it hurts doesn't it? Having to wait for everything to release at once? Anyway, stop acting like Netflix is the devil. This is just how people do things. Also, most people prefer streaming(more people my age at least). This is how things are going to go. Sorry, I guess.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So far it's only Netflix titles Sentai has licensed that have been redubbed, correct? So as long as Sentai doesn't get it, I don't think we have to worry about a redub.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Look, I am sorry, but you are a minority. Most people binge things. Also, dub fans are used to this, it hurts doesn't it? Having to wait for everything to release at once? Anyway, stop acting like Netflix is the devil. This is just how people do things. Also, most people prefer streaming(more people my age at least). This is how things are going to go. Sorry, I guess.

I've been a massive dub fan for the entirety of my anime fandom. I'm no stranger to having to wait for series, and in any case I almost never watch a series until a year or two after its premiere. That's not my problem. What bothers me is Netflix artificially imposing this viewing model on everyone whether they want to consume anime that way or not. The domestic industry fought for years to make simulcasts become a thing as a way to combat speedsubs, and by any measure they were very successful in doing so. Then Netflix comes along, licenses series that are airing week-by-week on Japanese TV, and sits on them for months for literally no reason at all, as if they're one of their original productions.

And yes, I'm aware that my viewing habits are in the minority at this point, but I will still vehemently hold that bingeing utterly destroys what I've always loved most about watching a good TV series: that week-to-week build, the anticipation of what's coming next, the ability to discuss and speculate with a whole community of fans. It's all thrown out in favor of plowing through an entire season in a few hours and then forgetting about it for an entire year. Blech. Even though I don't watch their content, I'm a big fan of Disney+ sticking with a traditional weekly release model for its biggest series.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

I've been a massive dub fan for the entirety of my anime fandom. I'm no stranger to having to wait for series, and in any case I almost never watch a series until a year or two after its premiere. That's not my problem. What bothers me is Netflix artificially imposing this viewing model on everyone whether they want to consume anime that way or not. The domestic industry fought for years to make simulcasts become a thing as a way to combat speedsubs, and by any measure they were very successful in doing so. Then Netflix comes along, licenses series that are airing week-by-week on Japanese TV, and sits on them for months for literally no reason at all, as if they're one of their original productions.

And yes, I'm aware that my viewing habits are in the minority at this point, but I will still vehemently hold that bingeing utterly destroys what I've always loved most about watching a good TV series: that week-to-week build, the anticipation of what's coming next, the ability to discuss and speculate with a whole community of fans. It's all thrown out in favor of plowing through an entire season in a few hours and then forgetting about it for an entire year. Blech.

I don't agree with you. But, that is your opinion. Netflix does not have to force you to watch it. You can just not watch it or whatever. Also, stop acting like Binging makes you forget things. By that logic, Crybabay, Castlevania, and many other shows wluld be dead. Except that is absolutely not true. It seems like you are projecting your opinions and acting like it is a fact.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And yes, I'm aware that my viewing habits are in the minority at this point, but I will still vehemently hold that bingeing utterly destroys what I've always loved most about watching a good TV series: that week-to-week build, the anticipation of what's coming next, the ability to discuss and speculate with a whole community of fans. It's all thrown out in favor of plowing through an entire season in a few hours and then forgetting about it for an entire year. Blech. Even though I don't watch their content, I'm a big fan of Disney+ sticking with a traditional weekly release model for its biggest series.

I myself hate how binging-centric Netflix is making things because of the fact that I physically cannot binge things (ADHD). It constantly makes me feel like I'm missing out when I have to take a few days to watch something, and something the length of Jojo might take me an entire month or more. This is just my personal reason for disliking what Netflix is doing, but it's something I feel strongly about.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

And yes, I'm aware that my viewing habits are in the minority at this point, but I will still vehemently hold that bingeing utterly destroys what I've always loved most about watching a good TV series: that week-to-week build, the anticipation of what's coming next, the ability to discuss and speculate with a whole community of fans. It's all thrown out in favor of plowing through an entire season in a few hours and then forgetting about it for an entire year. Blech.

I don't agree with you. But, that is your opinion. Netflix does not have to force you to watch it. You can just not watch it or whatever. Also, stop acting like Binging makes you forget things. By that logic, Crybabay, Castlevania, and many other shows wluld be dead. Except that is absolutely not true. It seems like you are projecting your opinions and acting like it is a fact.

Except you're the one here acting unreasonably and pretending your opinions are fact, or even supportable by looking at the majority of the anime community. If I didn't know better, I'd think you only showed up to this thread to sneer at people and tell them "See! See! Now you have to wait like I had to wait! Muahahahahahaha!" It's incredibly disingenuous. Anime watchers like to watch week to week. Netflix, despite knowing this, despite being asked time and time again by anime fans, could give a F less and is going to sit on finished episodes for months at a time, just for funsies. It's a problem for multiple reasons and one the entire community has acknowledged. Except you. Maybe you need to rethink your reasons for presenting this argument. Either way, can you please rethink your condescending attitude about it?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
Can’t we just agree that it’s a good thing it’s coming overseas, no matter who is being objective and subjective over the model? And the fact we don’t know if Netflix will make a special exception in here? Rolling Eyes
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Can’t we just agree that it’s a good thing it’s coming overseas, no matter who is being objective and subjective over the model? And the fact we don’t know if Netflix will make a special exception in here? Rolling Eyes

No. Netflix is a net loss for me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yes it is a good thing it is coming overseas. But I doubt they are going to make exceptions.

But it is also true that you lose the weekly discussion of each episode. So if you wait until Netflix releases it, the series will already have been discussed to death in the forums, because a lot of anime fans are not going to wait that long.

Each to their own. I am not going to be beating up people who like binge'ing. In reality, I am only able to keep up on two to three anime series weekly. So I end up binge'ing alot of anime by other means anyway.

My main concern with Netflix is physical releases. I seem to think they don't do anime physical releases, but you all can correct me if I am wrong.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Part 6 is my favourite part, but I can't watch it because I don't want to get a Netflix account.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7