• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Officially Announces Bleach Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
karakuraorangey wrote:
Viz. ugh. so many emotions are brought up when i think of viz. When i heard viz licensing Bleach i was outraged. Like Naruto, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?! I mean how are they going to cut out all the blood?? replace it with nothing. surely you can't expect miraculous come backs from the characters not knowing that they were injured to death. Viz is surely a bad example of a company that have trouble finding good seiyuus. For example Inuyasha. WHAT MADNESS!!!! Though Viz is a major company that is able to hire japanese translators, there just not a really good company in being able to find seiyuus. Suring the whole cutting of blood and killings ruin the whole episode and series. It gives the anime a bad name at times. Surely, you can't prevent a little kid from all the blood and killings. Though this series may be presented in Adult swim, it still breaks my heart that this series will soon to be dubbed. I fear that these evil people will surely disgrace the name of the honorable mangaka and its series.

Bleach fans unite! PROTEST! Anime hyper
-->.< TokyoPop does a somewhat better job than Viz.

--Jeesh. If the Viz company has the money why don't they just show the original anime with subbs. Such lazy people that won't bother to read the subbs.

[cries in corners] i miss those dear fansubs

Wonderful, the BLEACHers have risen. Rolling Eyes
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
redcomet15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember way back in the day when I was a big Dragonball Z nut, and I'd spend hours on online DBZ communities and talking to my friends about "Funimation being the devil" and ranting about the horrible things they've done to DBZ. Bashing Funimation was "the thing to do" and whatever Funi got its hands you could bet that I wouldn't touch it.

'Course, that was way back when. I know better now. Still, I find it terribly amusing that people these days seem to consider Funimation the almighty savior of dubbed anime, when just a few years ago it was so vehemently hated (by the crowd I ran with, at least).

As for Bleach actually being licensed... Half of me thinks Viz has waited long enough, while the other half thinks it's still a bit too early for Viz to be pulling its trump card.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
You know I just read the press release. Was it just me, or did they not say anything?
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
redcomet15 wrote:
I remember way back in the day when I was a big Dragonball Z nut, and I'd spend hours on online DBZ communities and talking to my friends about "Funimation being the devil" and ranting about the horrible things they've done to DBZ. Bashing Funimation was "the thing to do" and whatever Funi got its hands you could bet that I wouldn't touch it.

'Course, that was way back when. I know better now. Still, I find it terribly amusing that people these days seem to consider Funimation the almighty savior of dubbed anime, when just a few years ago it was so vehemently hated (by the crowd I ran with, at least).

As for Bleach actually being licensed... Half of me thinks Viz has waited long enough, while the other half thinks it's still a bit too early for Viz to be pulling its trump card.

I agree. I remember back in the days, it was hard trying to be mutural about the situation on forum because everybody hated and bash Funimation for releasing 3 episode of dbz and yuyu per dvd. And being nutruel meaning you get Bash on too. Now a days, Funimation has gotten better and everybody seem to love them and it's probably mainly due to a great job on Fullmetal Alchemist and being 4 episode per disc, which please a lot of people.

But no matter how you look at it, whenever a series get license by any companies, someone will have a problem with it.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SK DarkDragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Finally! So long as it's uncut and has the optional Japanese language track on the DVDs, I'll be buying every one. ^^ I'm interested to see who they get for the dub cast, too, though.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
A year ago or so, Viz stated that they've sold over a million DVDs of InuYasha (Probably a total of all the DVD, not per release) Even when there were 32 DVDs of InuYasha released at the time, this was still 31,250 sold for each DVD.

Exactly, a very popular, long runing series sold an average of under 40k copies per volume.

So no R2 release is going to sell 250k copies in North America, is it ?

-t
berlioz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
this is hored viz should never touch bleach. it should have gone to Bandai or Geneon. they have much better actors for that type of show and the charators.[/spoiler]
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You know I just read the press release. Was it just me, or did they not say anything?

They didn't say anything.

They didn't tell us that it would be on TV, they didn't tell us when it would be on TV, the didn't tell us what network it would be on if it was to be on TV.

They didn't say when or how the DVDs were going to be released, in fact they didn't even say they were going to be releasing DVDs.

IMHO, all that probably hinges on a TV deal that they aren't announcing yet because it may not yet be finalised. Pure speculation on my part.

All they say if that they have secured television, home video and merch rights.

-t

Once they finalize a TV deal, they'll announce the TV deal, and set the releases to follow the TV broadcast by a few weeks or months.

Just like Naruto.

-t
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Yay! Glad to hear it's finally licensed. I've got some friends who are raving about this series but I've only been able to read the first manga so far so I'm really looking forward to it being broadcast (I assume it will be?) and borrowing the DVDs from my friend who will be buying them. I just hope I can catch the broadcasts, I've missed most of Naruto...silly work...having me to work for the money I'm going to need to buy these series and thereby missing them airing. Rolling Eyes

I also wonder what kind of swag we can expect. T-shirts from Hot Topic anyone?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Those who say dub Lee,Sakura,Neiji and Naruto are from "a good dub" are not humans.

This is actually true. I've trained a legion of parrots to say that and disguised them as people using advanced animatronic robot suits. They were then dispatched to the four corners of the globe to spread misinformation about the Naruto dub.

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for that meddling SaveOnePiece.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
:ignores the usual ranting that comes with a major license aquisition by the fanboys of said license:

And now it's official, good to hear. If Bleach is set for a TV broacast I do see it as the replacement for InuYasha on AS, I think there's about 20-30 more episodes of Inu left. Vancouver dub or LA dub, doesn't matter to me; both can put out a decent performance. I'm looking forward to any news related to it.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
The bootleggers won't need a translator, they'll just rip the original dvd and a lot of people will get that cheap version instead of paying $60+ for the original. Like Tempest pointed out, a lot of series have tried it. Did you buy it? ...Especially when they can have licensors PAY THEM to handle all of this. And how would they compete with the bootleggers. ...THere's a lot more going on then just slapping on English subtitles

Well, I don't know where you figure in bootleggers, right now, they can pick and choose there fansub version, or even go straight bootleg R0 DVDs -- basically the first 3 DVDs (12 episodes) have already been released -- meaning R2 DVD rip with subtitles. The bootleggers already have great translators already -- the fansubbers.

At least remove any sort of excuses people give for not buying R1 DVDs because they already have the fansub, force them to at least show US support the japanese anime industry if they're not going to support the US R1 releases.

I'm still trying to stay positive tempest, but it would be a shame that at least quarter of million global viewers of the english subtitled version doesn't support the series. I think we'll get a good indication if US fansub audience will really make an impact in sales when Naruto Uncut boxsets start getting released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12