• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
To answer a question from the end: Yes, the red orb in Ainz's body is a world item, but it doesn't really get brought up or used much. ...Nazarick as a whole has quite a lot of world items. Too many, honestly, although it's not like they actually make a difference in the story... pretty much ever.

I thought so. Despite the appearance and borrowing the robes, Pandora's Actor didn't have that part, so I figured it had to be something that Ainz wouldn't part with, no matter how convincing the act needed to be.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 am Reply with quote
The big problem in this season was entirely caused by the poor choices for adaptation in the previous 3, which included a fair amount of build-up the reviewer pointed out he feels like it's missing (and correct he is, many of the plot threads that made this conclusion so satisfyingly tragic to read in the source material was due to how invested you were in the character progression of each of the "human heroes" PoVs as Nazarick slowly but surely started their grim world conquest in the shadows).

There was a lot in particular regarding Renner that should have been in there since Season 2, that was barely touched upon in the anime. Both Climb and Brain got particularly shafted in terms of characterization and development, unfortunately, which is why the impact is not as effective as it should have been once they meet their impending doom.

The dark conclusion is in fact, amazingly well executed... if all the pieces are in there like in the source, we got a toned down version despite the far superior adaptation quality in this season, which alas -despite being tiring to hear me say this at this point- is a problem that should be attributed to how the content was mostly mishandled up to S4.

And for anyone wondering, yeah, the orphanage served as sacrifices for her new Imp self. It's just implied in here, but it's basically how indirectly the novel went too, in chapter 4 of volume 14. She poisoned all of the children she was cooking for, Climb noticed something weird about her smell and how her physical capabilities changed after the fact.

So, I really liked this season despite volume 11 getting rushed (worth it considering the justice they did for 14 in the end, which is arguably my favorite after 13, and just above 9). I would give it an 8/10 overall, the best season yet.

But i would highly recommend for people just to read the books at least up to S4 to get a far better picture of the entire epic.

PS: I was NOT expecting such a devilishly sarcastic high budget Disney Princess musical number in this episode, it was a genuinely fun and hilarious surprise, quite amazing (she does sing in the book, but we don't see THIS!!).
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
An okay season finale.

But essentially we expect Ainz to steamroll over everyone, and the highest stakes were the two guys his subordinates faced in the previous episodes, and before that in the previous season Shaltear's loss.

So... kinda boring...? Not the show overall, I enjoyed it, but it felt like there were no stakes in this round.

Even if we don't expect Ainz to ever personally get clobbered, something that challenges his subordinates or his kingdom itself is also a loss for him. Maybe even if there was some kind of internal conflict within him over whether he'll be more human or go full Overlord... Like there are lines he tries to avoid crossing, but circumstances force him to or something...

So the story could be better, but I still had fun and maybe think this is all set-up for the real conflict as the ending tagline implied...
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I thought so. Despite the appearance and borrowing the robes, Pandora's Actor didn't have that part, so I figured it had to be something that Ainz wouldn't part with, no matter how convincing the act needed to be.

::checks episode:: Damn, how did I miss that! Laughing
Nojay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

::checks episode:: Damn, how did I miss that! Laughing

The other time we see Pandora's Actor playing the part of Ainz in the anime, during the confrontation with Sebas at the mansion in S2 episode 10, he does actually have the red orb in his ribcage. What is missing from that scene is the red fiery eyes which, contrarily, we do see him manifesting during the fight with Platinum Dragon Lord in episode 11 S4.

It would be trivial for Pandora's Actor to manifest a fake orb, of course but the animators were obviously trying to indicate to the most observant viewers that this was the doppelganger Ainz fighting Platinum Dragon Lord before the big reveal at the end of the episode.

Another thing to note about that fight is that not only is Pandora's Actor wearing Ainz' god-tier black outfit, he's also wearing most (but not all) of the magical rings Ainz usually wears. Look at Ainz's hands while he's sitting on the throne after Albedo and Pandora's Actor returns to Nazarick, he's only wearing a couple of rings himself. Since Pandora's Actor in his normal bowling-ball-head state only has three fingers and a thumb on each hand this would prevent him from wearing all ten rings Ainz would normally carry.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:50 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
And for anyone wondering, yeah, the orphanage served as sacrifices for her new Imp self. It's just implied in here, but it's basically how indirectly the novel went too, in chapter 4 of volume 14. She poisoned all of the children she was cooking for, Climb noticed something weird about her smell and how her physical capabilities changed after the fact.

Thanks very much for explaining that. When Renner thanked Albedo for the poison, I couldn't remember any circumstance in the show where she would have used it.

It also reminded me of what was clearly foreshadowing for the poisoning in the second episode, when Renner tells the children of the orphanage that next time she visits she would cook something for them. Then at the end of that same episode after Albedo gave her the box and subsequently asked her if she would be able to use it, Renner replied that she had already made preparations to do so. Now I know she meant the orphanage.

Also, I really liked how despite all Renner has done to help the Sorcerer Kingdom, she displayed genuine fear of Albedo in the final episode. It showed Renner's intelligence and accurate understanding of her new situation.

Renner may have gained immortality for herself and Climb, but she also knows that she could still lose everything she has gained, if Albedo decides she is no longer useful or loyal to the Sorcerer Kingdom. She is definitely not another Phillip Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7