• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Reborn! Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hn so this is why Funi was sending all those C&D letters out. This was the devious plan all along! Wink I, thankfully, don't have a CR account and Katekyo is not gonna make me get one (even if it's free). Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
magicalgirlj wrote:
I have been praying for this and now it is reality, I am sooooooo happy. but I do hope we get an r1 dvd release and an english dub.

i'm not sure if this one will get a dub. not only does it take well over 40 episodes to get good, but there's no place to market it, since Cartoon Network has pretty much phased out anime.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
"Why a DVD release"? a few simple answers

1. Not every customer has a computer/internet connection (NA market is shrinking in numbers of those who fall under that category, but still the number is still there, like my anime start, no interwebs means no streaming.)

The majority of anime fans do though, and lots of media are moving to a simulcast/streaming format anyway. If anything, anime's just late in the game.

Quote:
2. Dubbing, they generally sell better, so if there would be a dub on the DVD release it would be for those who have that preference.

Dubbing's only worth it if the series profits from it. It costs more money to sub and dub than it does just to sub. With the fansub boom, people became more accustomed to subs, and with the number of dubs on TV dwindling, how can you say that's the preference when people aren't even tuning in to watch them for free?

Quote:
3. Collectors, hey some people have a hoard mentality when it comes to their hobbies (and putting them on shelves and talking at length about them) Almost like a conversation piece when you have guests or salesman in your home.

Collecting is taking a nosedive with the economy. For the most part, people want their anime but they can't shell out like they used to. Crunchyroll is a free, legal alternative, and given the disposability of many anime series this day, it's a good one.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Well atleast this might boost the popularity of Reborn to convince someone to license and dub it. More people should look into this series, the manga's getting even better now that the story is less focused on comedy and more focused on action. Cool
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Shepperoni wrote:
Well atleast this might boost the popularity of Reborn to convince someone to license and dub it. More people should look into this series, the manga's getting even better now that the story is less focused on comedy and more focused on action. Cool

The problem is that for like the first 40 episodes, it can be really... not that great. This coming from a fan of the series.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

The majority of anime fans do though, and lots of media are moving to a simulcast/streaming format anyway. If anything, anime's just late in the game.

And I'm not denying that it is a shrinking number, but it still is a market that could buy your prduct, especially if they are an anime fan without an internet connection (I should know I was one for awhile and know of others) So why deny them?

Quote:

Dubbing's only worth it if the series profits from it. It costs more money to sub and dub than it does just to sub. With the fansub boom, people became more accustomed to subs, and with the number of dubs on TV dwindling, how can you say that's the preference when people aren't even tuning in to watch them for free?

Again there is the casual buyer, they prefer things to be in a language they can understand, then you have the dub fans or "dub purists" out there that either can't stand or don't like the subs. They are a market to, just normally not as vocal ( they're happyish, so they don't complain as often.)

Quote:

Collecting is taking a nosedive with the economy. For the most part, people want their anime but they can't shell out like they used to. Crunchyroll is a free, legal alternative, and given the disposability of many anime series this day, it's a good one.

Well from one standpoint yes when the dollar get tight you start cutting back on things that are not neccessary, however you still have an entertainment budget (albeit smaller) that you can set aside ($5, $10, $20) a pay period. Eventually you'll get enough to afford that series your looking for.... although anime has nothing on other entertainment groups if you already have them like Rockand or Board/Roleplaying Games, they don't tend to fall as hard as other entertainment areas, like Broadway shows for example. And at least for me at any rate I'm not getting the same feeling watching anime streamed as oppossed to opening the DVD and watching it with others, I guess I want a more communal experience in my viewings, oh and the showing off of my anime shelves.... kinda hard to show-off a legal stream to others.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE REBORN!!!!!!!! Now I'm waiting for it to get dubbed then my life will be one step toward being complete.Anime smile
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I'm all for simulcasting new episodes of stuff, but why do they keep picking shows that are already past their 100th episode? I'd be a lot more excited for something new starting with episode 1. Great that we get to see Reborn episode 140 the same day that Japan does, but what about us who haven't seen episodes 1 through 139?

They always backfill the older episodes. It's like that for every simulcasted show. It may take some time before you see all of the older episodes completely present, though they are still posted at a decent rate.

tenebrusmke79 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
magicalgirlj wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
There goes yet another anime that could have been brought to USA. I was hoping that Funimation would license this, but now that Crunchyroll has this, I don't think we'll this is in the states any

well Funimation did license two shows that were orginally streamed by crunchyroll. so I think that this was a C and D title. the chances of this getting licensed is pretty high

Well lets hope so. I do remember the cease and desist. I don't trust Crunchyroll to do the right action so this is why I am worried.

As you know, Crunchyroll is still allowing Blassreiter and Tower of Druaga to be shown on their website in the original Japanese language, even though Funimation have licensed them for the English-language release. The reason why is that Crunchyroll still retains the right to stream the anime series as they still have the content streaming deal with Gonzo.

Since Reborn is a TV Tokyo-produced anime, and along with Naruto, and several other anime that are produced by TV Tokyo, Reborn will go the same way and be shown on Crunchyroll.

You can go ahead and worry, if that is what you want to do, but the fact remains that CR has asked for and received permission to stream the Reborn anime from TV Tokyo.

I, for one, am excited about this.

Technically, the permission would be coming from d-Rights (rights owners) and not TV-Tokyo (broadcaster) nor Artland (studio) for Reborn!. But yes, for the most part unlike Hulu or Joost, CR does not deal with R1 dvd licensing companies -- they deal with the licensors in Japan directly. (This is also why there are a handful of "officially legitimized" fansubs on CR)
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Reborn is in the 120s, not 130s or 140s.
Mallet21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Anyone waiting for a 100+ episode series w/ no domestic TV syndication to come out on DVD is going to be waiting an awful long time.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Shepperoni wrote:

EXACTLY!!!! I FULLY AGREE!!!!!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
So, will all the previous episodes be up on Crunchyroll, too?

The answer to this is yes, but on a kind of strange and slow schedule. See here:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-480367/katekyoshi-hitman-reborn-simulcast-starts-this-friday/
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Hn so this is why Funi was sending all those C&D letters out. This was the devious plan all along! Wink I, thankfully, don't have a CR account and Katekyo is not gonna make me get one (even if it's free). Smile

Actually they've sent out those C & D letters almost a year ago and that pretty much stopped all the fansubs at the time. But recently 2 or 3 fansub groups picked it up again so more C & Ds were issued.

Also for the guy about why we get it so far back is cause realistically the US doesn't know if the show will be good or not state side. Buzz is only so reliable especially concerning longer series. Once streamed the site will do its best to regularly release older episodes but it will mainly focus on the simulcast to appease fans and to not give fansubbers much of a reason to fansub the series. Really some of the only differences between some fansubbers subs and the official subs is bouncing letters, profanity, word order and suffixes.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Pretty much, most of the time when a series is made we want to know more about it to see if it is something that can be sold in the NA market. Longer series just have a bigger hurdle to jump, as most are licensed or done in chunks of 52 or so.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I was just saying last night that I wanted to see more of this series! I don't watch fansubs anymore, so I was patiently waiting for a license, but this will do for now--but only if we get all the old episodes as well. I don't think it's out of the question, since CR is doing it with Naruto Shippuden, but it would be a requirement if I were to watch the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3