• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Pictures USA Licensing Unit Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
What's gonna happen to the stuff that they've licensed now? I still need to finish buying up Haruhi Suzumiya and The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye!

Don't worry both of those series are available in there entirety.

The Third:
http://www.amazon.com/Third-Girl-Blue-Complete-Collection/dp/B001R4SZ00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254192656&sr=8-2

TMoHS:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/VKKZ2WJCvc4baXki6z/browse/item/80076/4/0/0

As for the other stuff. I'm not really too knowledgeable about that sort of thing, but I suspect its possible for other distributors, like say Funimation, and whatever ADV is called now, to pick them up.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The Spice and Wolf set sure as hell better come out or Kruszer will be an angry man. Evil or Very Mad

Otherwise, I either have the series in question or didn't really want them. Still it's a shame that another one bites the dust. Sad

Also if you read the con report on the front page don't expect your Haruhi 2 for quite some time if at all from Bandai as they're not very healthy either at the moment.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
*sighs* The best anime companies are always the ones who fall victim into this stupid economy. I would like to legally own the new Haruhi Suzumiya series but because of this economy it's like the only way for us Americans is to illegally download anime if we can't have these series and I refuse to illegally download anime. Hope Bandai or at least someone can work something out so that we can still get like the new Haruhi series, Shuffle Memories, and so on. But honestly anime companies in America shutting down is not helping anything and is just getting ridiculous.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
*sighs* The best anime companies are always the ones who fall victim into this stupid economy. I would like to legally own the new Haruhi Suzumiya series but because of this economy it's like the only way for us Americans is to illegally download anime if we can't have these series and I refuse to illegally download anime. Hope Bandai or at least someone can work something out so that we can still get like the new Haruhi series, Shuffle Memories, and so on. But honestly anime companies in America shutting down is not helping anything and is just getting ridiculous.

Do you really want to spend money on half of Haruhi 2 and Shuffle Memories? I'm not you, but I think buying a recap series and the same episode 8 times is a huge waste.

People seem to still be failing to see that these titles aren't lost forever, it just means that Kadokawa themselves backed out of licensing those titles themselves. Should FUNi or whoever still want those titles, they can get them, but now they'll have to license it.

And this wasn't really a company, more like a branch. Think Bandai Visual, but without any distribution, before they merged into Bandai Entertainment.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
I still have hope for Haruhi 2 being brought over Laughing

I didn't really care that they wasted 8 episodes if and when it gets a dub it will be watch able for me
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
I have to side with the opinion those titles already released like The Third are safe since there is a binding contract. Slight possibility of the Biblos disaster, but I really don't see that as Kadokawa USA seemed more the pitchman--yes they "licensed" titles to negotiate with American companies to release, but overall they seemed more like Geneon's American branch (except Kadokawa didn't even put out their own stuf but partnered with another giving us a dvd with 2 names attached to it) & they went the way of that bunch. I would think any license had to be signed with the Japanese parent company which still exists so the US companies still have however many years they had originally on the licenses to distribute those titles.
We possibly will see one or 2 others pop up that had been signed, but haven't been announced.
Not to mention these now might be "bargain basement" titles-having gone untouched so long, the price might be lowered.

This license bunch seemed to have been announced quite some time back. I seem to recall thinking when TRSI announced they were releasing Junjyo that it had been a year since Kadokawa announced they had licensed it so this could be a case of their being unable to find any partners for those remaining titles. I'd like to get my hands on Demonbane, but it does appear to be a pretty small title here. Demonbane seems to be more up MediaBlasters' alley, but they've been rather quite, rescheduling bunches of titles while not even really bothering to announce anything. I find most of their stuff in the just added section at TRSI out of the blue.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Kadokawa Pictures USA's closure should not affect the release of Spice and Wolf, Junjo Romantica, the first Haruhi Suzumiya series, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, and other titles that were negotiated already.

Thank goodness. Smile I thought that's what it would mean, but it's always good to hear someone of some repute confirm it.

What I'm more worried about is Spice and Wolf II. But I suppose as long as season one sells well enough, it won't matter much where the rights to season two lie.

I worry too about S&W2, but I don't think it matters whether the first season sells well or not. Hell Girl sold really well here, and yet no season 2 or 3 after nearly three years.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:

Think it's bad here, we're just seeing what is the back end of the losses in revenues that the Japanese market is seeing. I just got back from an entertainment industry symposium in Japan, the current economic state of things in Asia is as bad if not worse than here.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I find it more likely that the result of Kadokawa Pictures USA closing would have something more to do with them not caring enough about the American market enough to prop it up than anything else. They can more than sustain themselves off of the Japanese moe otaku market almost indefinitely anyway.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I find it more likely that the result of Kadokawa Pictures USA closing would have something more to do with them not caring enough about the American market enough to prop it up than anything else. They can more than sustain themselves off of the Japanese moe otaku market almost indefinitely anyway.

Just because you can support a product that loses money with a product that makes money doesn't mean that it makes any sense to do so. And really, while there are definitely shows that do extremely well in Japan, they don't all do well. It just doesn't make sense business-wise to waste money trying to sell a product that isn't going to make you money. And as the comment right before yours pointed out, Japan is doing quite poorly in the current economy, so the anime companies in Japan are going to be that less willing to risk losing money, let alone be willing to outright waste it.

Now, why exactly Kadokawa Pictures USA is closing up shop, I don't know. From other comments, it sounds like they've lost money on a number of different things - including a fair bit outside of the anime market - so they're probably just doing poorly enough that it didn't make any sense to stick around, or they just plain didn't have the money to.

It's definitely a loss for them to be gone, but they didn't actually produce any dubs or distribute anything. They were purely a licensing firm. The R1 Anime companies can still get licenses without them, they just have to deal someone higher up on the licensing chain or deal with another company that deals in anime licenses. It's definitely a loss, but I'm not sure that it's really going to affect us that much. The average anime fan will probably never notice that they're gone.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Well I can't say I am surprized anymore. First Geneon, then CPM, now Kadokawa.

Any bet's whose next? If I had to guess, I'd say Media Blasters or Bandai Entertainment. Because there are only so many people who would buy a dvd without a English audio track.

At least I was able to watch and purchase Full Meatl Panic and Lucky Star. But I and my a friend who was reallly interested in Haruhi thinks the second season wasn't worth the wait.

Eight episodes were wasted and weren't even that great.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well I can't say I am surprized anymore. First Geneon, then CPM, now Kadokawa.
Out of those three only CPM are actually history, the others have simply contracted back to their origination. They're still in business.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Don't forget ADV. I was really hoping Bandai or Funimation would pick up Chrome Shelled Regios.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Don't forget ADV. I was really hoping Bandai or Funimation would pick up Chrome Shelled Regios.

Except that ADV is basically alive as Section23, Sentai Filmworks, and company. So, while the company ADV is dead, the organization in terms of the people and the licenses is still very much alive. They have a ways to go before they're as healthy as they once were, but they're definitely not dead.

Still, most of the various R1 anime companies have been hit hard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4