• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2009 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like One Piece and I've seen all tv episodes, but I still liked Fairy Tail. The anime isn't that good, but it's still fun to watch. Main character aside, I didn't see much One Piece on it, and even if I did, I wouldn't mind.
I didn't like the opening or the opening. It was kinda boring and made me sleepy(or maybe because I only slept 5 hours yesterday).
I'd say 3.5 out of 5 would be a fair rating.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac, are you honestly telling me that a series that blatantly copied the personality of Son Goku and has a pace that makes Rumiko Takahashi look quick is the ideal shonen series? I mean as soon as we hear about an interesting plot point we won't see it again for another 20 volumes. They followed up the Crocodile arc by introducing a character who is clearly a villain that was stereotypical filler. By the time One Piece finally reaches a pace similar to Rumiko Takahashi we spent 50 volumes of Oda dragging it out to make as much profit as possible.

Can anyone tell me how Goku and Luffy differ as character?

Both are stupid
Both don't know about sex
Both are idiot savants
Both frequently don't think about their actions
Neither of them have gone through puberty

The only difference is that Luffy actually gives a crap about his family, and Goku is the worst father in the history of fiction.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
words

Are you really going to do this?

Especially considering who you're addressing?

Do you think this is going to lead to any kind of decent debate or just 30 pages of people yelling at each other, especially considering how abrasive you're being about an anime of all things?

I disagree with Zac's review (for entirely different reasons beyond "One Piece sucks", which is an opinion I definitely do not share) but raising a big stink about it isn't going to go anywhere, because other people's opinions shouldn't somehow offend you in such a way.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
words

Are you really going to do this?

Especially considering who you're addressing?

Do you think this is going to lead to any kind of decent debate or just 30 pages of people yelling at each other, especially considering how abrasive you're being about an anime of all things?

I disagree with Zac's review (for entirely different reasons beyond "One Piece sucks", which is an opinion I definitely do not share) but raising a big stink about it isn't going to go anywhere, because other people's opinions shouldn't somehow offend you in such a way.

I don't think One Piece sucks, I just think it's above average, and not the greatest work of shonen everyone keeps telling me it is. Look, if were going to complain about someone copying someone's style than Oda shouldn't be immune to these complaints either.

As for Zac, from my experiences Zac has never punished someone for having a different opinion than him or anyone else. It's one of the reasons why I post here.

Insulting a reviewer sure, but I didn't insult Zac, I just pointed out that Oda isn't immune to these complaints.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
just pointing it out there

a lot of people dislike Fairy tail because they think it copys One Piece, it's not the mangaka of Fairy tail is a very big fan of One Piece and styled Fairy tail and the later chapters of Rave after the art style while still retaining a some what more detailed look.

Over all Fairy tail starts off slow then gets better by the time the first big arc happens

No, people don't like Fairy Tail because its sense of comedy is tired and weak, and its sense of plot is mostly non-existent. I really enjoyed the fights in the manga though. They were loads of fun.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
When did people began to care about plot in a shonen series? Except for Fullmetal Alchemist , and Rurouni Kenshin I don't remember a single shonen series that had a great plot.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
When did people began to care about plot in a shonen series? Except for Fullmetal Alchemist , and Rurouni Kenshin I don't remember a single shonen series that had a great plot.

Well, just because they don't tend to have very good plots, doesn't mean that they can't or that they won't. And if you generally like shows with great plots (be they shounen or otherwise), then you're likely to think less of shows that don't have them. So, when a shounen anime lacks a good plot, it's definitely a mark against it, and those who are really looking for good plots are likely to be disappointed in it and/or not be interested in it. Still, it's definitely true that shounen series tend to have weaker plots and that you need to be prepared for that when watching them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I don't think One Piece sucks, I just think it's above average, and not the greatest work of shonen everyone keeps telling me it is. Look, if were going to complain about someone copying someone's style than Oda shouldn't be immune to these complaints either.

Insulting a reviewer sure, but I didn't insult Zac, I just pointed out that Oda isn't immune to these complaints.

Nah, it wasn't insulting at all. Some good points actually.

I'd say this in response: That Oda lifted from Toriyama doesn't mean One Piece isn't good. It could be argued that Toriyama's direct influence is part of what makes One Piece so good.

That Mashima lifted from Oda isn't the sole reason Fairy Tail sucks. It's just insult to injury. In addition to being hacky, generic and uncreative, it's also a direct lift, at least in the manga, of the art style of one of his incredibly popular contemporaries.

Not that you can really tell that the manga is a wholesale snatch of Oda's style in the anime because the animation is so half-assed.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, what a needlessly angry review of FT, Zac. I actually would have preferred pictures on that one too. Confused

Aw, well, I liked the first ep and to each his own.

Charred Knight wrote:

Well, the title alone should clue you in that this show isn't aiming for an amazing plot, originality, or what have you. Reading the manga confirms this as well. The storytelling is largely on a mission-by-mission basis. In fact, expecting a plot or originality for this one is about like expecting the Republicans to support health care reform. It wasn't happening from the start.

And I do think that other shounen series have decent plots, but that's beyond my point.

[EDIT: Use the Edit button instead of making consecutive posts. -TK]
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
I went into Fairy Tail thinking I was going to be seeing the next big shounen in the mold of One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. I'm always down for top tier shounen stuff (even if two of those three have long long since jumped the shark and overstayed their welcome).

Instead, I got the next Rave Master, Duel Masters, or MÄR.

Blech.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
With all the hype I was hearing about Fairy Tale I decided to give the manga a chance. Wasn't amused one bit, and still don't understand why people enjoy it so much, then again I never really did like One Piece. Glad to see it's not the highlight of the anime season as some would have you believe.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Shin Koihime Musou had exactly one good joke, a simplistic plot, and made no attempt whatsoever to be exciting or plausible.

...and I intend to watch it in it's entirety. There's a certain intangible quality which shows may or may not have, called "charm". I can't say where exactly it comes from, but Koihime Musou somehow had it, and as a result I was eager for this continuation. The goofy mood of this show about hot chicks who also happen to be renowned warriors (though not a drop of blood is ever spilled) is priceless. Kan'u, a mature woman who often acts as the butt of her less mature companions' jokes, is the star and my favorite character. Best of all are a few kinky comments which they drop now and then--without those this could serve as a children's cartoon. Though by no means perfect--probably a love-it-or-hate-it sort of show--Shin Koihime Musou is guaranteed a place in my viewing schedule.
Juuyon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh also, any manga author who uses the “hero character comically overeats!” thing should be dragged into the town square and pelted with spoiled produce.

Aren't you being a bit harsh? Of course there are a LOT of main Shonen characters who stereotypically eat a lot, but it doesn't always mean it's for a gag. There can be purposes behind it too. Like for example, Allen Walker from D.Gray-man who eats because his weapon which became one with his body constantly sucks his energy dry.

And if you're going to criticize Fairy Tail at least spell it properly. It is "Tail" not "Tale".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Juuyon wrote:
Aren't you being a bit harsh? Of course there are a LOT of main Shonen characters who stereotypically eat a lot, but it doesn't always mean it's for a gag. There can be purposes behind it too. Like for example, Allen Walker from D.Gray-man who eats because his weapon which became one with his body constantly sucks his energy dry.

Are you really sure you want to hear his opinion on D.Gray-man? That I actually have read, and I'd be curious to know whether Zac shares my incredibly low opinion of it...
Juuyon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Juuyon wrote:

Are you really sure you want to hear his opinion on D.Gray-man? That I actually have read, and I'd be curious to know whether Zac shares my incredibly low opinion of it...

My point was that I agreed with Zac that gluttonous main characters are extremely too common but there are some with reasons that are seemingy explained.

Really? Do you also have a low opinion of D.Gray-man?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22