• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMI Puts All Print Releases on Hiatus in January-June 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falloutgal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
Hmm. I've been subscribing to a Japanese manga magazine (Ribon) through AKAdot Retail (a division of DMI) for a while, but they recently advised me they would not be able to continue to do this, as in a few months they would be "unable to purchase my magazine from their vendors due to various reasons."

I assume your magazine isn't the only item Akadot are cutting back on... DMI are halting publication of almost all new books, they're cutting back on other stock for their Akadot retail site (I wonder how much?), are they really that pressed for money? So for most of next year their income will be dependent on digital sales, sale of old print titles and whatever stock they have left at Akadot - I have no idea how the industry works but to me this doesn't bode well.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Bummer....I just hope they are able to follow through on actually publishing their titles. I definitely want to own the rest of Itazura na Kiss. I can handle a delay as long as I can eventually buy them.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, check out their emanga site, I was informed over tweeter that they're upgrading it and all their digital manga will be in 1 place, instead in all the different store. I think that'll help a bit, in their digital sales.

Also, maybe they wouldn't be having this issue if like...all their manga was priced in $12-20 area...hell, even the non-adult stuff is priced high. And why don't they pick up and reprint Fruits Basket? That's on the want list, but they don't touch longer series like that, for whatever reason. They need to branch out and get more main stream shojo/josei and shonen/seinen titles, instead of sticking to 1-shot mangas. 1-shots are decent, but...anything that's up to 3 volumes are more tend to be better. At least that way you have a decent story going on and some character development happening.

I think they should set up their digital site like JManga
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Vata Raven"]Oh, check out their emanga site, I was informed over tweeter that they're upgrading it and all their digital manga will be in 1 place, instead in all the different store. I think that'll help a bit, in their digital sales.

Also, maybe they wouldn't be having this issue if like...all their manga was priced in $12-20 area...hell, even the non-adult stuff is priced high. And why don't they pick up and reprint [b]Fruits Basket[/b]? That's on the want list, but they don't touch longer series like that, for whatever reason. They need to branch out and get more main stream shojo/josei and shonen/seinen titles, instead of sticking to 1-shot mangas. 1-shots are decent, but...anything that's up to 3 volumes are more tend to be better. At least that way you have a decent story going on and some character development happening.

I think they should set up their digital site like JManga[/quote]

[i]Fruits Basket[/i] belongs to Tokyopop which also went the way of the dodo. DMP is not gonna publish that since it's already been published. DMP shouldn't touch series if they're going to license one at a time and take forever in between licenses. For example [i]Close the Last Door[/i] is two volumes long. They released the first volume and it was years later that they finally released the second volume and in a different size! Now those two books are sitting separate on my shelves because of the sizes. The way DMP conducts business makes me think that rabid monkeys are randomly licensing and releasing things and hoping that something will stick like [i]Finder[/i], [i]Tyrant[/i], [i]Kizuna[/i] or [i]Border[/i].

edit: I think JManga is doing things right. They have a subscription service or the option to buy points as you need them. I feel their prices are right for digital manga. What they need to do is get their act together and release an iOS app. I have so much manga on that account and no way to read it but my computer.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? This is almost all of the manga purchases I was going to make for the next 3-4 months at least; guess I'll get to spend my pennies on other collections (like importing K-drama boxsets now that YAE is closing down Crying or Very sad ). And honestly, if DMI's manga ever ends up going digital-only I'll probably be saving a lot more pennies. I got sick of reading manga on a screen years ago with scanlations and those were free. There is a reason I'm willing to spend money on physical books. Suffice it to say that I really, really hope they mean it when they say this isn't a cancellation.

(And before anyone goes all "entitled fan!" on me, I'm not saying I'd return to scanlations. I'd probably just make do with my already sizeable manga collection and move on to another hobby, sadly enough.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I think JManga is doing things right. They have a subscription service or the option to buy points as you need them. I feel their prices are right for digital manga. What they need to do is get their act together and release an iOS app. I have so much manga on that account and no way to read it but my computer.

Yeah, so what if Fruits Basket was already published by TP? If you haven't notices, Fruits Basket is OOP, DMP can easily reprint the series and use the same damn translations that TP used. Yes, translated manga go back to the Japanese company, as well, just like English dubs. They can license it and print it in omnibus books. There is demand for that series, it was the top selling shojo manga when it came out, it was the series that kept TP around for so long.

And JManga has another site (the one I was referring to), it's a site that you pay monthly to ($6 a month) and you can read whatever manga they have listed. You don't pay to read each volume. It's a monthly fee and you read what you want.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
osakaedo wrote:
Books before 2000-2005 (depending on the publisher), are not likely digitized. So pubs would have to scan them. Now some don't mind just slapping pages on a cheap scanner but to get high-res clean scans... Well, that costs money.

I don't think it does. I have an an Epson scanner, you just need to do 300 for the res (that's the standard for scanning), but it can go up a lot higher and the Japanese artists only work on half sheets (half from 8x11 size). I'm not sure how companies get their scan like (like are they already clean by the time they get them, ect, and just do the translations). I think if they get scans clean and they do scans themselves, they don't want to do the extra work.

HAH!! Print quality is 1600dpi minimum. So 300 is not going to cut it. Also Japanese mangaka draw on pages twice originally are twice the size of the magazines their titles are published in. These are then sent off to printers to make plates and now to get digitized.

Increasing numbers of mangaka work in digital through the whole process know. But the plates still end up being the same size... HUGE.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Peebs wrote:
I think JManga is doing things right. They have a subscription service or the option to buy points as you need them. I feel their prices are right for digital manga. What they need to do is get their act together and release an iOS app. I have so much manga on that account and no way to read it but my computer.

Yeah, so what if Fruits Basket was already published by TP? If you haven't notices, Fruits Basket is OOP, DMP can easily reprint the series and use the same damn translations that TP used. Yes, translated manga go back to the Japanese company, as well, just like English dubs. They can license it and print it in omnibus books. There is demand for that series, it was the top selling shojo manga when it came out, it was the series that kept TP around for so long.

And JManga has another site (the one I was referring to), it's a site that you pay monthly to ($6 a month) and you can read whatever manga they have listed. You don't pay to read each volume. It's a monthly fee and you read what you want.

If DMP decided to do that, they'd have to pay TP a license for the translation which how I'm sure JManga handles titles that are already translated and published. In case you haven't noticed, the translations are copyright of the US publisher and we know how long those copyrights are valid here. As I said, DMP wouldn't touch that particular title unless they either a) have money to burn, or b) do their own translations, or c) outsource to their crappy localizers.

Yeah, I'm not too interested in JManga's other website. I have a hard time keeping up with Viz's SJ Alpha every week. It's one more "thing" to read that I don't have time to read. At that price the deal is very good. I pay CR that much to stream anime on the release days, so adding another $6 for manga is not a bad thing. My problem is lack of time.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Sh1t. I hope this is only temporary. It would suck if they went down like Tokyopop did.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
HAH!! Print quality is 1600dpi minimum. So 300 is not going to cut it. Also Japanese mangaka draw on pages twice originally are twice the size of the magazines their titles are published in. These are then sent off to printers to make plates and now to get digitized.

Increasing numbers of mangaka work in digital through the whole process know. But the plates still end up being the same size... HUGE.

Not for 8x11 paper, you're not going to print a damn manga on a damn 16x20 sheet of paper. As someone, who in fact went to art school and had to scan art to put on the computer, 300 does the job for prints that size. You can EASILY edit manga at the 300 dpi size. Oh, and I just double checked, I scanned a sheet of paper (full of text, black text) and it comes out damn fine without the 1600 dpi. FYI, hate to tell yo this, an Epson scanner, only about $300, easily goes up to 3600 dpi. You're telling me that a small company can't afford that and an assistant scan the pages?

Yeah, sorry, you're using an excuse. For the purpose of scanning hand drawn graphics 300 dpi resolution is usually sufficient. And since you claim that manga pages are using large sheets of paper, 300 would still do fine since you're shrinking them down into our format.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
And the "talking out of your ass" award goes to.... Vata Raven! After all, why wouldn't she know better than a narrow-margin publisher who'd jump on a zero-impact moneysaver in a heartbeat?
Cave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
And why don't they pick up and reprint Fruits Basket?

Because there would still be huge, upfront costs that wouldn't return enough in profits. If they reprinted the volumes already out, fans won't be buying them. Why? Because they already have Tokyopop's.

Like Gunslinger Girl, for example. I have up to volume 6 by ADV, then when Seven Seas released it, I just started at volume 7 (actually omnibus 3, vols 7-8). No reason to buy the first two. I don't know how many volumes TP released of FB, but I highly doubt casual readers will pick up a volume of something they have.

Quote:
Not for 8x11 paper, you're not going to print a damn manga on a damn 16x20 sheet of paper. As someone, who in fact went to art school and had to scan art to put on the computer, 300 does the job for prints that size. You can EASILY edit manga at the 300 dpi size. Oh, and I just double checked, I scanned a sheet of paper (full of text, black text) and it comes out damn fine without the 1600 dpi. FYI, hate to tell yo this, an Epson scanner, only about $300, easily goes up to 3600 dpi. You're telling me that a small company can't afford that and an assistant scan the pages?

Yeah, sorry, you're using an excuse. For the purpose of scanning hand drawn graphics 300 dpi resolution is usually sufficient. And since you claim that manga pages are using large sheets of paper, 300 would still do fine since you're shrinking them down into our format.

300dpi isn't the standard, though 1600 sounds pretty high too. I would think 600 dpi is what would mostly be used. 300 dpi is good, but not for the ultra high quality. It's fine for the web, just not a printed book.

I think there is some misunderstanding here when you mentioned what the artists have to work with. Manga artists work on large sheets of B4 professional paper, like what you can buy right at Akadot. It's then shrunk down into the tiny tankouban. That's how they retain such nice details. The artists don't actually work at that size of course.

Then that tankouban is scanned at 600 dpi or whatever and worked with. I really wish all English adaptions just worked with digital files though instead of having to scan in for numerous reasons. -.-

Someone mentioned that DMG titles have been "riddled with grammar errors". I suggest if you find one to let the DMG group know somehow, maybe via the forums or something. I don't think anything can be done, but it's good to learn from mistakes. The scripts are checked over at least 3 times... the editor checks it of course, the typesetter checks it, and DMI checks it too. Editors also check the final version again. Mistakes happen, they get missed.

I'm surprised to hear a lot of praise for JManga. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jmanga, but I wasn't impressed by the quality of their typesetting (i.e. using white blocks instead of redrawing - hugely unacceptable in my eyes) and I think their website has 2 major flaws which I wrote about in my feedback to them. I love the site though and hoping to see a lot of great things in the future. Of course, I am hoping for lots of great things from DMG. I love the print titles, but I do hope to see the digital realm thrive when a printed manga is just not going to be cost effective.

One last thing... a big problem is definitely rising prices. Everywhere, prices are rising. I see it at the store I work with - bunch of prices go up. It's costing publishers and distributors a LOT more than 5 years ago to release a manga Stateside. Sad
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see another manga publisher potentially in trouble, but at least they put their titles on hiatus rather than digging themselves deeper into financial crisis (if that is what's going on) by continuing on with their planned release schedule. Hopefully they can restructure a bit in the months their titles are on hiatus.

Cave wrote:
Because there would still be huge, upfront costs that wouldn't return enough in profits. If they reprinted the volumes already out, fans won't be buying them. Why? Because they already have Tokyopop's.

Like Gunslinger Girl, for example. I have up to volume 6 by ADV, then when Seven Seas released it, I just started at volume 7 (actually omnibus 3, vols 7-8). No reason to buy the first two. I don't know how many volumes TP released of FB, but I highly doubt casual readers will pick up a volume of something they have.

Off-topic, but...I own all 23 volumes Tokyopop released of Fruits Basket, but I would probably rebuy the series if another company licensed it and released it in omnibus volumes with color pages. I'm sure there are some other fans out there who feel the same. Still, I think there are enough used copies of the series floating around that it'll probably be another two to five years before we see Fruits Basket relicensed and rereleased in the U.S. (To be honest, I'm wondering what's the hold-up with a license for Takaya's other recent manga, Hoshi wa Utau. I expected a license announcement for that at least two years ago, but I guess the shoujo buying market is a bit smaller than it was in the heyday of series like Fruits Basket.)

All that being said, I doubt a series like Fruits Basket (or any once-popular relicense) would be a way for Digital Manga Publishing to sustain themselves. Relicenses can be risky business since, even if there was a demand for the series years ago, that may not be true now (especially since the manga buying market at the moment seems much more geared toward shounen and seinen titles). Hopefully DMP's e-manga platform and their back-catalogue will be enough to keep them afloat in the industry until they're ready to get back to releasing new volumes of continuing series and maybe even new licenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3