• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: The Great Online Petition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I coincidentally wrote about the Cutiepie petition in my blog last week:

Steve Brandon wrote:
One last time, THE CUTIEPIE ANTI-ANIME PETITION IS A JOKE, PEOPLE!

AND IT'S A REALLY LAME JOKE, AT THAT!

Don't get me wrong, I like facetious anti-anime sites meant to jerk the chains of anime fans who take anime much too seriously and take absolutely everything they see written against anime on the Internet at face value, no matter how ridiculous and obviously fake the claims are, as much as the next anti-fanboy, but the "Cutiepie" petition falls flat as basic satire, like it was written by an anime fan with a very simplistic view of "fundamentalists" and "soccer moms" in about five minutes. If you're going going to do a tongue-in-cheek site to tweak the nipples of the man-boobs of otakus, at least put a little time, care, talent, and effort into it. (Or, do as I just did and pluralize "otaku" with an "S"... they hate it when you do that. Same with "animes" and "mangas".)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
AncientDragonValgaav wrote:
I sincerely doubt KonoMini will ever come out stateside. That had to be one of the worst things I have ever seen.

I said that about Ikkitousen, though. Yet people still buy said crap.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
AncientDragonValgaav wrote:
I sincerely doubt KonoMini will ever come out stateside. That had to be one of the worst things I have ever seen.

I don't know...it's actually very cute, despite all the frontal. Besides, you have to give respect points to anyone who can fit in an Urusei Yatsura reference for the OG's.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the disease Kenshin contracts in Samurai X: Reflections doesn't just give him all those dark spots, but spoiler[it also somehow heals his cross-shaped scar! (look when Kaoru moves the hair from his cheek at the end)].
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I haven't seen Reflections, but I'm beginning to think that I should. As a medical historian, all this talk about skin diseases is getting me interested. (hey it takes all kinds)

In the Japan of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the two most common incurable skin diseases (of a non-STD nature) were leprosy and psoriasis. The latter is genetic, so my money is on leprosy, assuming Kenshin actually caught the disease from someone else. I haven't seen any pictures of Kenshin in his afflicted condition - can anyone point me to some?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Untill I see pics of Kenshin during his final moments, I rather lay offa calling him a Leper.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
Actually, the disease Kenshin contracts in Samurai X: Reflections doesn't just give him all those dark spots, but spoiler[it also somehow heals his cross-shaped scar! (look when Kaoru moves the hair from his cheek at the end)].

Actually that's just a bit of symbolism for you. spoiler[The scar was gone because once he died, the "curse" he carried with him to help others was also lifted.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Actually that's just a bit of symbolism for you. spoiler[The scar was gone because once he died, the "curse" he carried with him to help others was also lifted.]

But the problem is that said symbolism runs very contradictory to the symbolism placed on the scar by Watsuki & the Tsuioku-Hen OVA. spoiler[Unless I misread something, both sources rather explicitly place the scar more as a "memorial" of sorts to Tomoe than the burden of Kenshin's sins. Kenshin embarks on his wanderings due to the events surrounding Tomoe, but the scar itself reflects more specifically his undying memory of her. To me, the conclusion of the elusive Jinchuu Arc was better closure in regards to Kenshin's vagabond ways & bloody past than the scar fading. It fading in Seishouhen just read more to me like "Yeah, that Tomoe broad? She wasn't that important, forget her" than his sins being lifted. And given how Tomoe just happens to be one of my favourite characters in the entire franchise, I must say I felt a little insulted by the director's choices there.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I'm inclined to agree that while I don't like the director's choices, I doubt that there is a question that it is symbolic in nature. Considering that the director was given a'la carte here in how it was going to go, (though it has been awhile since I saw Reflections, since I don't care for it, nor can I bring myself to consider it a part of the Kenshin saga) it seems that's the direction he took it in.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
I'd like to know why Ms. Answerman thinks the fact that a series is five years old means it won't be licensed. o_o; Wedding Peach was only recently picked up by ADV about a year or so ago, and that series is at least 10 years old now. =/ There's still hope for Kaikan Phrase, especially since the manga is over here. Really now.

Kinda annoyed at the unmarked Kenshin spoilers, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
Actually she stated that it's unlikely to be licensed. That's a fact of life we all need to face. The older a series is, the less likely it is to see the light of day over here. U.S. companies want the hot items, things that they know will sell quickly. That's just business for you.

Is it possible it will see a license someday? Sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
Untill I see pics of Kenshin during his final moments, I rather lay offa calling him a Leper. I mean, he ain't exactly throwing bits and pieces of his body here and there like regular common Lepers.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Untill I see pics of Kenshin during his final moments, I rather lay offa calling him a Leper. I mean, he ain't exactly throwing bits and pieces of his body here and there like regular common Lepers.

This is actually why I hesitated to call him a leper, but it's possible that showing an accurate depiction of what a leper goes through wouldn't fit the mood they were after. spoiler[Could you imagine Karou holding Kenshin in his lap in that serene location while gangrene sets in, his nose caves in, and his body slowly succumbs to deformity?]

It's also unlikely that it's psoriasis since it's not contagious. Kenshin and Karou do cough, but I never once saw any blood, ruling out TB. It's possible that he was afflicted by a less common disease, but leprosy seems to be the best guess.

On my responses about the likeliness of a series being licensed, Godaistudios got it right. Generally I judge the likeliness on how old a series is, though I do take into consideration certain factors (such as the title being a Miyazaki flick) that may or may not increase it's chance. If someone wrote in asking if Gankutsuou will ever be licensed, I'd say there's a good chance since it's a current series in Japan.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Seisou-hen ending, while sad, was a better alternitive to the manga ending. But then again, I like finality over "happily ever after"; it's all about tieing up the loose strings.

Nagisa, concerning Kenshin's scar:

Part of why Kenshin decided to wander after Bakumatsu was to repent for those he killed, most notably Tomoe. The scar he received from Kiyosato was more of how he was used (and arguably corrupted) by the Choshuu hanshi (and the Ishin Shishi). Throughout the rest of the series, he tries to atone for this and true atonement finally comes (for readers and viewers) during Jinchuu-hen, but perhaps Kenshin's own personal forgiveness doesn't come until the end of Seisou-hen.

Personally, I think director's (Furuhashi) play off of Kenshin's noble character and continuing the use of the scar metaphor is a nice touch to the OAV.

But then again, perhaps Furuhashi needs no more explination other than "Scar tissue heals over time and begins to look much more like natural skin."
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Personally, I think director's (Furuhashi) play off of Kenshin's noble character and continuing the use of the scar metaphor is a nice touch to the OAV.

I don't see how he's playing off of Kenshin's "noble character" when the very beginning of the OVA—the catalyst to future events—has him being the military's mascot dog like he said at the very beginning of the series that he'd never do.

The scar issue aside, I can't stand Seishouhen because of all the plotholes like such that got inserted solely for cheap melodrama. A final "memorial" style OVA would've been a fine idea if only the producers didn't change stuff around to make the characters as pathetically angst-ridden as possible. I'm not saying it had to be "happy sunshine," but the way the characters were written in Seishouhen was just too over the top.

SalarymanJoe wrote:
But then again, perhaps Furuhashi needs no more explination other than "Scar tissue heals over time and begins to look much more like natural skin."

Which would, again, rob it of the pre-established meaning of scars that carry a burden to them not healing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3