• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Trigun TV Anime Series on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
You need to watch this past 4. Rawness and insanity is more in Ultimate. Seras goes thru a heck of lot more in Ultimate. Ultimate brings out the drama when it wants to imo.

Well, I'm waiting for a dub but I will eventually see it. As I said though, I'm not going to try and claim that Ultimate is worse as a whole because I don't know. I think it would have to really step it it up though in the second half to surpass the TV series and if it did I expect it's appeal would still be rather different from it. As many of the problems I mentioned I would not expect to change mid series.

Quote:
The comedy is to lighten up the atmosphere before the slaughter starts imo.

To me though that's a mistake. They can't lighten the mood because the mood isn't really that dark. It's so over the top to begin with that it sort of passes dark and moves right on to downright nuts. So where normally comic relief might be useful to prevent the audience from feeling depressed, it isn't really necessary here and in fact, just serves to ruin the atmosphere altogether.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I hope they rescue Gungrave soon, too and sell a ton of them as well.

They did, as part of a distribution deal back in 2008 and the DVD box set was released back in July.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Awesome! I was hoping they would, though I gotta wonder what TOOK so long, sheesh. Razz

Here's hoping they can snag the movie too, and get the old dub cast back together for it. I can't hear anyone but JYB as Vash.

I also watched it on AS in 2003 as well and i can't even fathom it as well. but this is funi were talking here. if their gonna completely remaster the series they might do a redubbing. Though it would be best if the old voices stayed it would be interesting to see a new cast. Also it would also be interesting if the would do a new trigun series that's more faithful to the trigun maximum manga, just like with FMA brotherhood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
I care about whether or not my BDs are actually HD; if anyone here cares but doesn't know how to find out more about the particular titles I've found the mania BD forum (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/forumdisplay.php?f=43) to be most helpful.

Something else I've noticed: it has occurred in the past with notorious BD releases such as Caligula where some BD reviewers write very uninformed reviews that offer praise for mediocre or worse A/V on discs. My solution: if you can't find a good forum discussion or want to lend some perspective to one, don't read just one review. Track down several.

You know I've gotta wonder where the line is between what FUNi does with BDs and false advertising. Shouldn't they at least advertise SOMEWHERE on the package that you are buying an upscale?
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very awesome news, I'll be able to afford owning this series finally and at a cheap price too Smile.

Not to mention it'll probably save me some shelf space.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

I also watched it on AS in 2003 as well and i can't even fathom it as well. but this is funi were talking here. if their gonna completely remaster the series they might do a redubbing. Though it would be best if the old voices stayed it would be interesting to see a new cast. Also it would also be interesting if the would do a new trigun series that's more faithful to the trigun maximum manga, just like with FMA brotherhood

Seeing as they kept the dubs for all their previous rescues, even when the dubs were not at all well loved, and Trigun is a pretty widely adored dub, I highly doubt they'd redub it. That would be a waste of money and make no sense. It's not gonna happen.

As for licensing the movie, IF that happens...well, I'll be the first squealy little thing in line at whatever closest theater is playing it for one thing, but for another, they probably only have four voice actors to track down, five if Rem makes some sort of flashback cameo, and all of them are still active in anime. Jeff Nimoy is the least active, but I know I remember him saying he loved playing Wolfwood and would happily reprise it at a panel I went to.

As for making a Trigun Maximum anime and recasting a dub for that, that would be waaaaay far into the future so even if it did happen, which...why would it? I was under the assumption that Trigun completely failed in Japan and the movie was made pretty primarily for the Western audience with which it was so popular.

That being said, the only reason a new anime might be made is that while the anime failed, the manga has a pretty good following in Japan, so eh...it might happen. (Personally I don't think the manga holds a candle to the anime in storytelling quality, but...it is clearer and more detailed than the bare-bones anime retelling which leaves you to fill in a lot of blanks yourself. If they were fairly interpretative with the pacing and style of the material but kept the events and characters, it could be an awesome anime. But I really hope they don't pull a Monster and copy Nightow's tale panel-by-panel because that manga is a MESS in terms of pacing and mood and...depth, really. For what it was, the anime was much better.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6