• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: No Vuvuzelas at Otakon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
cche7 wrote:
GOOD, I'm glad Otakon banned them. Hopefully they'll be banned at AX next year too. I was at Anime Expo this year and I can't tell you how many times people were blowing them while standing next to me. Mad

I went on Saturday, and it seemed to have been mostly under control by then. I heard them go off maybe 2-3 times in the dealer's room and that was it. I'm glad I wasn't there Thursday or Friday though if they were that bad.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
GOD DAMMIT, SOCCER!

Now now. 'Tis not the sport, 'tis the traditions of some of its fans.

Nevertheless, this is just part of a wider trend to restrict the "swarm" from infesting other large events: these instruments are banned outright from several of my country's most important stadia, and it seems venues elsewhere are doing so as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Otakon: more competent than FIFA apparently.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
kMisuzu wrote:
This article is incorrect. HenDaNe did not sell vuvuzelas at Anime Expo. The yaoi division acquired theirs from another booth at AX.

That doesn't make it any better. HenDaNe is a disruptive company that seems to only exist to support and encourage all the negative aspects of the anime community in public venues.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
one of the few things that otakon seems to be doing right this year... At least we won't have bees in the otakafe during karaoke Anime hyper

*goes back to ignoring my cosplay*
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Otakon the one that's also banning signs?
I thought Expo was the event trying to put forth a more professional image, while Otakon still wanted to maintain it's image as a fun, fan-oriented event.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I thought Expo was the event trying to put forth a more professional image, while Otakon still wanted to maintain it's image as a fun, fan-oriented event.

Being allowed to use vuvuzela's, signs, paddles or other forms of disruptive items /=/ being a fan and having fun

Unless, you're happening to notice the 'irony' here or something, which I highly approve of. Razz

Also, I'm quite annoyed that HenDaNe was responsible for them at AX... I like them for the most part but learning they sold vuvuzela's there is... very unpleasant.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

yup, no signs. Otakon tries to also stay really family friendly too. I don't quite mind the no sign policy, and it is ok if it's part of the costume. I just wish otakon could get the guests that AX has... especially for the cost...
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
That doesn't make it any better. HenDaNe is a disruptive company that seems to only exist to support and encourage all the negative aspects of the anime community in public venues.

Do you consider Touhou and doujin games in general to be negative aspects of the anime community?
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Fans don't need to have signs to have fun and the signs had long crossed the line between having fun and soliciting (sometimes illegal) things.

Kyogissun wrote:
Also, I'm quite annoyed that HenDaNe was responsible for them at AX... I like them for the most part but learning they sold vuvuzela's there is... very unpleasant.

The article needs to be fixed up. There were many booths selling them at AX. I had first seen them at one of the rather sketchy dealers in the back. (HenDaNe was towards the front.)

(I would post something more extensive but really I would assume they are going to comment somehow. Short version, mentioned at the con "twitter says you are the origin of them" and got a denial.)
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
at Anime Expo this year, merchant Hen Da Ne - best known for selling dōjinshi and the wooden "yaoi paddles" that are ubiquitous at anime conventions - decided to sell vuvuzelas, the plastic horn instrument made famous during the 2010 World Cup, to AX attendees

Go ANN and their awesome fact-checking skills!
HenDaNe should sue you for slander!
MJP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
First they came for the yaoi paddles, and I did not say anything because yaoi fangirls are annoying.
Then they came for the vuvuzelas, and I did not say anything because vuvuzelas are loud and annoying.
Then they came for BUTTSCRATCHER and "I just lost the game" and I did not say anything because those are more annoying than vuvuzelas and yaoi paddles combined.
Then they came for the Aspie glompers, and then there was nobody left at Otakon.

I'm OK with this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

Go ANN and their awesome fact-checking skills!
HenDaNe should sue you for slander!

It was a misunderstanding and a mistake, not slander. Calm down.

I've fixed the mistake and added a correction.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, the really annoying fad followers, obnoxious hallway shouters, amateur graffiti artists, thoughtless glompers, and stupid noisemakers represent perhaps a few hundred people who come to the con. The vast majority are actually more interested in hearing the guests, videos, and panelists they came to see.

The flood of thank-you messages has been rather heartwarming. It's like 98% positive -- even more than the paddles and signs.

Pre-registration numbers are up about 10% over last year, so we must be doing something right.
Zeqasa Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't really blame ANN for the mistake. The really annoying guy at Hen Da Ne was blowing them during AX. His constant yelling (has he heard of an inside voice?) and the yaoi paddles are also annoyances to regular con-goers. It would only make sense to point the blame for something else annoying towards the source of all the other annoyances (especially if the source in question was supporting the new annoyance), in the case of dealer's rooms it's the large yaoi guy at Hen Da Ne.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4