• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the best no-commitment anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eterra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I was just wondering whether or not anyone know good no-commitment animes. A lot of good anime are great but it's so long and after breaks or fillers, I just don't feel like going back to it (I wonder if anyone feels the same way). But I nonetheless like to procrastinate so can anyone recommend anything Smile

All I can think of is Detective Conan.... which is a lot of procrastination time there, I know! But I would like some breaks between the mind-numbing deaths so I can fully prepare my best OMG, TOTAL SHOCK face when the next person dies, haha

Thanks again!
wormraper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 --- the ultimate no commitment series, you can watch all you want or as little as you want since 99% of the episodes are self contained

Last edited by wormraper on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No lists. Put reasons. -TK]
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Most shows I watch range from 13-26 episodes, which I find is not really a commitment. Perhaps it sounds like you watch lot of very long running shonen shows? Sorry if I am mistaken.

Anyway, if i were you i'd just stick to anything you find interesting that's only 13 episodes long. If that's still too much for you, stick to short ovas.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by "no-commitment"? Do you mean like nothing really hapends, well for that there is shows like Azumanga Daioh, K-ON, Ichigo Mashimaro and Lucky Star. They are pretty much just girls having fun, and often you only have to remember the names of the main cast so it is not really hard, and no need to worry about looking for clues. And still fun to watch.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
If by "no commitment" you mean a show that doesn't require you to watch an entire continuity or narrative to enjoy, then I would also recommend:

- Mushishi
- Kino no Tabi

These shows are very episodic. If you've watched the introductory episode you can watch any other given episode as a seperate entity without any problems. Also, because they don't have an essential running narrative there is no pressure to chain-view hundreds of episodes at a time.

Last edited by ArmchairTitan on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
If you want something more action oriented; both Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are very episodic with the main story only really coming into focus in the last couple of episodes. For example, with Samurai Champloo I accidentally skipped over about 10 episodes in the download process and didn't even realise I'd missed any watching the episode. Great series but completely commitment free, in my opinion.

For a completely different angle, Mushi-shi would be the best choice for this. Each episode is a single story; you can pick it up and drop it anywhere. In a way this kind of annoyed me but if you're after this kind of thing each episode is a very well crafted story in its own right, but the series as a whole is very good as well; and I doubt there would be many that recommend against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
The first thing that comes to my mind is Galaxy Angel. Once you know what the whole 'find lost technology' thing means, and who Normad is, you can basically watch the first 3 season's episodes in any order without being confused or lost. Learn 4 more characters' names and you can do the same with the whole series. Plus it's done in stand-alone half episodes, so your time commitment in a sitting can be quite minimal... it's funny, too. Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-shi here too, my friend started catching random eps of it on Funimation channel and slowly got addicted even though he doesn't normally like those slower kinds of shows. But then it was episodic like everyone says so it's perfect. Cowboy Bebop while we're at it too, [adult swim] can show any ep they damn well want to and I'll go "ooo! Bebop is on!" because it's entirely episodic too.

Cromartie High School as well for the comedy genre. Now the anime does something a little different then the manga and that is having characters in the background (and with lines) even before they've been introduced. But even then you can tell everyone's trope from almost any given line they speak so I'd imagine it to be fine to not give much of a commitment there either.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What do you mean by "no-commitment"? Do you mean like nothing really hapends, well for that there is shows like Azumanga Daioh, K-ON, Ichigo Mashimaro and Lucky Star. They are pretty much just girls having fun, and often you only have to remember the names of the main cast so it is not really hard, and no need to worry about looking for clues. And still fun to watch.

Lucky Star's a bit thin, but the Azumanga characters are so...uniquely characterized that you could watch even just the beach-house or school-festival episodes, and get a pretty clear idea of the character interactions. Very Happy
eterra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Now I have to wonder whether or not everyone will want to shoot me in the face for parts of my response... so I'm just gonna say thanks for the responses, first Wink

I'm definitely going to go check out Mushishi first because not to sound like an quantity-ist (ha, you see what I did there, quantity+elitist! ...yeah, I know, not actually funny Sad ) but the number of people who recommended that affected that opinion there... But the mention of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo reminds me that I should really rewatch it. And the fact that there's no commitment makes it all the more appealing! I guess what I mean by no commitment is that animes like One Piece and Naruto (amongst so many others) span for hundreds of eps and after you (aka I) stop watching it, you just don't feel like picking it up again (either you forget what happened before, feel like movering around fillers is a daunting task, the # of episodes left terrify you, or lose incentive for some other reason. Also why that even though I really want to see Code Geass (and I know, most people think it's a crime that I haven't seen it), I'm too afraid to start it.

I'm also gonna check out Kino no Tabi and Ichigo Mashimaro but with my watching habits, I say you shouldn't wait up for my response. ...But I can't really say I'm going to watch Azumanga Daioh, K-On, or Lucky Star. I hope no one takes this the wrong way but they just don't appeal to me. They actually appeal to me as much as Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumyia ....

And with that all said, I have to ask the feminist question of why exactly are all these shows shounen/seinen. I mean, I usually don't mind but I do have to wonder whether or not there is any no-commitment shows that are geared towards the female audience?

(I hope that didn't sound too unappreciative bc I feel very appreciative of all the answers!)
eterra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, and Cromartie High School... I remember loving that manga when it first came out. Haha, I'll check that out too.

(Sorry, it took me so long to respond that I didn't notice the new replies)
Siouxsie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The first thing that came to mind was Azumanga Daioh, which a couple of people already said. I totally have the dvds (although I don't know why really!) and I play them whenever I want to watch an anime but I'm multitasking. You could totally be super focused on what you're doing for 20 minutes, turn back to the tv, it's on the next episode, but you missed absolutely nothing!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
As much as Azumanga and Lucky Star are worthy of a mention, there exists a title requiring even less of a commitment on the behalf of the viewer than these.

Di Gi Charat asks of its audience ten minutes per episode, along with a tolerance for moderate nonsense and absurdity. Those disposed to dislike its character designs will inevitably be deterred, but the time required for a firm judgement on such a matter to be reached is quite notably short.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
You might try the just-completed Tatami Galaxy. It has a cyclic structure rather similar to the Bill Murray comedy Groundhog Day.

Another good option might be Natsume Yuujinchou about a teen-aged boy who can see spirits. While there's an ongoing theme that you'll discover in the first couple of episodes, once you understand the premise you can watch the episodes pretty much whenever you want.

Some shows are composed of smaller story arcs. I'd suggest the third installment of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales called Bakeneko or "Goblin Cat." If you like this, there's an unlicensed sequel called Mononoke that has four arcs including a very different version of Bakeneko.

Family shows like Chi's Sweet Home/New Address are very episodic and, in this case, very funny. The unlicensed Higepiyo also qualifies here.

Finally I'll mention by favorite episodic series, the unlicensed Bartender. Each week a new patron visits Bar Eden Hall and meets the bartender Ryuu who's also known as "the Glass of the Gods." Ryuu has a remarkable ability to select just the right alcoholic concoction to help the patron transcend a difficult emotional problem in his or her personal history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3