• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Licensed by Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just hope the negative publicity won't cause parents in the U.S. to ban it like they attempted with Pokemon.

Parents can't ban anything.

They can make noise, but fortunately while a few freedoms and rights have been curtailed in the United Statest post 9/11, total censorship of entertainment (banning) hasn't ocurred.

The biggest thing that anyone needs to worry about is the possibility that Viz might self-censure the manga to avoid backlash...

-t
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
And someone mention that DN fans are intellegent "community". And I'm pretty sure there's a lot of other dumb fans that go around trying to do thier own "death note". So I'm not sure how intellegent the fanbase could really be?

Hohoho...You have NOT seen the Death Note Community at LiveJournal

I'm just saying stupi-noobs will increase exponentially and basically overpower and take over the world.

I probably don't want to see the DN community.
Everyone agree they suck

I'll just stick with the Buddha (Tezuka's classic) & Vagabond community since there are more important things to discuss, like morally, class system, humanity, discipline, honor ect. And I don't think a lot of 13 year old kids or someone that lack intellegence would be interested in Buddha (most people buying the books are adult), so I'm not worry that all the "stupi-noobs" taking over.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right now, the DN fan community is surprisingly *gasps* INTELLIGENT (I honestly don't know any other community that talks about MORALITY and THEME and CHARACTERIZATION and PSYCHOLOGY and ALLUSION and HAMMARTIA), but it's ALL going down.

I wouldn't call single-minded fangirls who whip out their "Death Notes" if you suggest that their yaoi fanfiction is silly intelligent. Yea, it's smart and mature compared to most manga being scanslated and published in the US, but I don't think it's going spark serious, intellegent analysis like some titles have done in the past, especially with the drop in quality recently. It's smart, but it aint the brilliant masterpiece people hype it up to be.
And as for the translation, Viz probobly won't use their best translators, but it probobly will still be better than if Tokyopop had picked it up.
But it's good that it got licenced. I have issues with the last couple of volumes and think it gets overrated due to its fanatical fanbase, but it still is one of the best Shonen Jump titles I've ever read.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
The biggest thing that anyone needs to worry about is the possibility that Viz might self-censure the manga to avoid backlash...

Does it have nudity? If it's just a horror manga, then I doubt it, because they probably couldn't get much of an audience. Of course, that's what I thought about Yami No Matsuei...P.S. In the future, don't take Viz on their word at cons when they claim that such-and-such title will be uncut, as they've been known to be evasive about what they define as uncut.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Izlude wrote:
konosuke15 wrote:
DAMNIT!Why did Viz had to get it?!

Because they are partially owned by Shueisha and have access to just about every Shonen Jump title they have.

Did he think that a shonen jump title wasn't going to be license by Viz? And someone mention that DN fans are intellegent "community". And I'm pretty sure there's a lot of other dumb fans that go around trying to do thier own "death note". So I'm not sure how intellegent the fanbase could really be?

Actually i was thinking that the series wouldnt get licensed at all (such a child-like idea, but hey) because of its physhological intensity. If it shows in Shonen Jump.....actually, they wouldnt be such a bad idea.

Death Note might actually have the non-leecher manga readers thinking more. And, some kick ass complaints for parents about Shounen Jump having a title with the word Death in it. hehe! *talk about dreams that wont happen*
cubs2084

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I just hope the negative publicity won't cause parents in the U.S. to ban it like they attempted with Pokemon.

I'm worried about the backlash from Religious parents.

Death Note is not the most kid friendly of manga.

Well, I just hope the tranlsater doesn't go the "Soul Reaper" way.

About a month ago I got one of those upside-down crosses with the Death Note title on it. I wore it around for a couple weeks, and not a single person said a word. But as soon as I go to mom's place and she sees me wearing it....well, you can probably guess her reaction. She freaked out cause I was wearing some "satanic symbol". I feigned ignorance just to get her to drop it, but I knew it was a satanic symbol when I bought it. That's not why I bought it, though. Good luck explaining that to her, though.

This is the only worry I have with it's American release. That and something like China did, what with the banning of the manga in schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
So I guess we'll be seeing anti-Death Note comics from Jack Chick then, ne?
lyger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:38 am Reply with quote
if viz translated the word "Shinigami's" what would it be?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 am Reply with quote
lyger wrote:
if viz translated the word "Shinigami's" what would it be?
Should be "god of death".
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
LiveJournal

Anime hyper, yeah, because LiveJournal is an accurate, reliable and resourceful community that isn't just a giant collection of attention whores and stereotypes.

It's just a comic. Yeah, it's the biggest, best thing you've ever seen, but so what? It's a commercial product as much as it is an artistic work, and it's an SJ title, a recent one at that, so what do you expect?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
This is just one time where Viz should turn away from this series. Don't worry, I'm not going to start another debate, but the same problem that happened in those Chinese high schools where this manga was banned from their public institutions I see the same thing happening here in the United States.

The problem with this? Where students were mimicking the manga series and writing the names of their teachers backwards on a slip of paper where the background of manga series says the person who's name is on the slip of paper would die in 40 seconds.

This may become a problem because here in the United States it could become an issue of intimidation and threats by students. This manga series could prove an even bigger problem than Harry Potter and that Magic The Gathering card game.

I'm wondering how Viz is going to deal with this issue and this series here in the United States. It does present a problem in this era that we face with terrorist activities.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
This is just one time where Viz should turn away from this series. Don't worry, I'm not going to start another debate, but the same problem that happened in those Chinese high schools where this manga was banned from their public institutions I see the same thing happening here in the United States.

Manga, or Death Note in particular, doesn't have and will not have the exposure and potential popularity that is required for such controversy. Even if it turns out to be a hot title by industry standards, It'll still be pretty niche compared to other properties (unlike Harry Potter and Pokemon). It would be another story if an untouched (so far non-existant) anime version would air on Toonami. Therefore, I think you are being a tad paranoid here.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
It does present a problem in this era that we face with terrorist activities.

Either I missed a significant chunck of the conversation or I lack imagination, because fail to see any link between comic book controversy and a terrorist threat. Or are we talking about terrorists armed with Death Notes now?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally think "Soul Reaper" sounds snazzier than "God of Death" and guess what? It has the SAME MEANING. A direct literal translation isn't always the best one.

I'm actually happy about this. I love how much Takeshi Obata's art improved after I followed and read all of Hikaru no Go for a few years, so I've really wanted to check out Death Note as well.

Viz does a better job of editing things nicely as compared to TokyoPop where countless times I have found text in the wrong bubble or not even in the bubble in four different series. x_x; I like TokyoPop, but geez. I'm not saying Viz is perfect, but I've never witnessed them make such careless mistakes so very often and not have an editor go back and check that before publishing. But I'm going off-topic. =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
DAMNIT!

Damnit all to hell!

Why did Viz had to get it?!

Now, it wont be 'Death God', it'll be 'Soul Reaper'!

Just when it starts getting better too!

If you're referring to the translation of 'shinigami' in the Bleach series, the Japanese releases of the Bleach DVDs have 'shinigami' translated as 'soul reaper' so Viz is completely on the mark for that translation.

What they'll translate it as for Death Note could be different.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not big into manga at all, so I've never read a Viz manga. Do they typically keep their stuff in the original right-to-left format?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3