• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
oh. what little I watched years ago, I've largely forgotten.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

"This is only a depiction. May differ from actual spoiler[evil esper organisations]." The small things like that is what can be funny. Actually I think I have heard that story before. *goes through manga* It is from volume 15, Episode 6, interestingly the quote I put above was added to the anime, the manga just had a bunch of small pictures including someone with a "Desu Note". The manga also implied spoiler[it to be a spirit by Isumi and Father Linn that it was in fact a ghost], not that they actually did anything. Hayate also used the book in a cooler way here, and threw in an attack name that reminds me of that time Hayate was trying to make an ultimate finishing, and instinctively started calling his attacks. Those are the sort of changes that enhance it for an anime.

At the beginning of the episode I was also wondering something. Where is Nagi's cosplayer friend who they like to put with her and Chiharu? Luckily it looks like she gets next episode, along with a scene of Yukiji spoiler[sleeping somewhere with signs of passing out drunk], which is the funniest kind of Yukiji.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
At the beginning of the episode I was also wondering something.

I was wondering something else. Am I the only fan of Hayate that has gotten completely bored with this?

It isn't a bad idea to do an episode with each cutie to fill in some story or even just play with the characters a bit. But so far each cutie has gone absolutely nowhere. They are just simply rehashing whatever backstory was already there and the personality traits are stagnant and never develop. You can't just string together a series of non-entities and end up with something interesting. The end result is wan and has no energy. Am I the only one who sees it this way?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I doubt you're the only one who sees it that way, but I personally don't feel that. I would preferred a "real" sequel to the second season than this, but I'm such a fan of the franchise that I just like spending time with the characters even if they aren't developing in any way. It's like getting together with old, reliable friends. Sure, you probably won't be talking about anything that you haven't talked about before, but there is enjoyment to be had just being in each other's company.
mad mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It isn't a bad idea to do an episode with each cutie to fill in some story or even just play with the characters a bit. But so far each cutie has gone absolutely nowhere. They are just simply rehashing whatever backstory was already there and the personality traits are stagnant and never develop. You can't just string together a series of non-entities and end up with something interesting. The end result is wan and has no energy. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

Well, as I said, this is officially the all filler season. Literally they're just adapting random one-off chapters and nothing else. It's not an inspiring direction, and they're going out of their way not to allow any plot or character development to happen, but I've found it pleasant enough.

Mind you, I've already read all these stories, so the only surprise is when they throw in another Zettai Karen Children reference or whatever, so my perspective is a little skewed.

Honestly, if you want more out of the series you should really just read the manga at this point. It's extremely long (408 chapters and counting) and the various anime adaptions have seriously not covered even half of it. It has plot and character development and all that that the anime never really goes into. In fact after the first three years it's almost more of a comedy/drama then a pure comedy series.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
honestly at this point i question whether or not the manga is actually worth reading considering how unwilling they are to properly adapt it lol.
mad mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
honestly at this point i question whether or not the manga is actually worth reading considering how unwilling they are to properly adapt it lol.

Heh.

In all seriousness, the manga is better then any season of the anime that's been done so far. If you like the show at all you'll almost certainly like the manga better.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, what could possibly be found in a spoiler[municipal high school worth stealing that would require someone to dress in full body armor and wield a massive double sided war axe?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ok, what could possibly be found in a spoiler[municipal high school worth stealing that would require someone to dress in full body armor and wield a massive double sided war axe?]

Remember it "is a normal high school" with the standard gangs, time travellers, etc. That is probably a once off joke in season one, which has little bearing in this season, but it explains that anything can happen in this show, Hayate is like surrounded by Murphy's Law.

And as I mentioned in my other post, the manga had Isumi and Linn acknowledge there was a spoiler[wicked spirit nearby, in saying that, the scene largely had Isumi brooding over it, and Lin was looking at the panties of figures].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Biggest chuckle I got was when Nagi and Chiharu were geeking out and they discuss how many shows they'd be following. Nagi says that an "advanced" viewer should be following at least 20, which is not an unusual number for me. I always new I was "advanced" in something. Very Happy Anyway, as far as I can remember, this is the first time I've seen characters discuss number of shows they watch per season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

The beginning part with Chiharu felt so vividly familiar that I thought that I had seen it before, I put that down that I added their voices to the characters in my head. The first part was from Volume 18, Episode 8, I was quickly sure as the book Chiharu was reading was a parody fusion of Baka to test and Spice and Wolf, each character preferred something that was characteristic of one of those series.

Arguably my favourite parts were to do with Yukiji, there are various times she makes an appearance as a drunk who has passed out on the school ground, and I tend to get a laugh out of it, especially Hayate turning it into a spectacle, and adding some deep meaning to it. Kayura was also a blast, I don't have much experience with her due to relatively small appearance in anime, but I found the random things she was saying to be funny.

Also lol at Nagi speaking like Ika Masume with the degeso.

When I watched the preview I got a big grin on my face, looks like they are adapting at least parts from Episodes 5-7 in volume 18 (the chapters before the first part of this episode). That is going to be very good to watch, actually it might even make sense with what sounded like a one of comment by Hayate in this episode.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
so this episode actual got me curious about something. Does Hayate actually like anyone?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell as a Hayate anime viewer only, I'd say no. Maybe it's something that's been raised in the manga?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
From what I have picked up, at least until fairly recently Hayate was still in love with spoiler[Athena. I know that it sounds odd that the winner at least for a time for Hayate's affections would be someone who has had barely any anime time, but she has given him more than any other character in the series. Athena took him in when he was lost (I think figuratively is the word) was basically the first person to really give a damn about him, and gave him the training that made him have super human strength and butler training (ever wonder how Hayate knew all those tricks. She also tried to warn Hayate that his parents would just use him (which they did), he lost something very precious, and their relation kind of ended on a sad note, although I doubt either actually wanted it to end.]

There were a few times early on that Hayate would have a spoiler[flashback to what was then known as "mysterious girl", in anime even], although theorise that he may be aware of at least some of the crushing, but is under the belief that he must be able to support his girlfriend.
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
so this episode actual got me curious about something. Does Hayate actually like anyone?

At this point in the manga he's still undecided. Pretty much there's Nagi, who he cares about a great deal but maybe not that way and Athena who is more or less his ex-girlfriend. No one else has gotten much development as a potential love interest.

spoiler[Ruka ends up confessing/kissing him fairly recently but he doesn't seem very interested. He eventually tells her that he can't date anyone while he's a butler but he doesn't think he'll be one forever. The series is heavily hinted it will end around Christmas in story.]

Although there's been some teasers floating around that the last two episodes will be original material (not adapted from the manga, but the mangaka is involved) and will have Hayate kissing someone. Too early to say if it means anything.

Quote:
From what I have picked up, at least until fairly recently Hayate was still in love with

You're going to have to wait until volume...26 I believe to get the full story there. I won't spoil it, but something does happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6