• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Card Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Joshman wrote:
It's more of a design than a mechanic, and Deadlands was an actual TCG so you'd have to make some effort to get up to a 52-card playing card deck if that is what you wanted. As to who borrowed what idea from where, I could not say.

I think of FB as something along the lines of an UNO deck. You need that deck to play the card game on the cover, but you can play other games/variants with that deck as well.

The guy at the Otakon panel said something like that. It's going to be a one buy deal, so you buy one box and it has all the cards. In this case, it may succeed as a collectors item since its one stop shopping for FB fans, and its over with. I dunno, I think the idea is rather original, and might be kinda neat. I mean, if you said a game where you roll around a gravity ball and pick up objects around the world would be addictively entertaining, I would have thought it was a joke. Originality can do some pretty amazing things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
.....That's not right, and you guys know it....FB=card game? NO Anime hyper That is a petty attempt at trying to get more money. Seriously, that's not right. I like FB but...no.....

Well, it's not April....

What do yoy mean? Question Anime dazed
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
.....That's not right, and you guys know it....FB=card game? NO Anime hyper That is a petty attempt at trying to get more money. Seriously, that's not right. I like FB but...no.....

Well, it's not April....

What do yoy mean? Question Anime dazed

Meant the article ain't an April Fools joke.....unless it's already April and I don't know about it.....
Rikabu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
Uh.. dear god.. no..
this series is already overhyped as it is.. X3
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:
Joshman wrote:
It's more of a design than a mechanic, and Deadlands was an actual TCG so you'd have to make some effort to get up to a 52-card playing card deck if that is what you wanted. As to who borrowed what idea from where, I could not say.

I think of FB as something along the lines of an UNO deck. You need that deck to play the card game on the cover, but you can play other games/variants with that deck as well.

The guy at the Otakon panel said something like that. It's going to be a one buy deal, so you buy one box and it has all the cards. In this case, it may succeed as a collectors item since its one stop shopping for FB fans, and its over with. I dunno, I think the idea is rather original, and might be kinda neat. I mean, if you said a game where you roll around a gravity ball and pick up objects around the world would be addictively entertaining, I would have thought it was a joke. Originality can do some pretty amazing things.

Definitely a better idea to make the FB game a card game and not a collectible card game.

But you know, I miss the heyday of cheesy board games based on pop culture properties. If the price was reasonable I wouldnt mind checking out a cool, yet simple board game based on my favorite anime properties.

Am I alone on this?
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
But you know, I miss the heyday of cheesy board games based on pop culture properties. If the price was reasonable I wouldnt mind checking out a cool, yet simple board game based on my favorite anime properties.

Am I alone on this?

Sailor Moon = The Boardgame? I'd play it.

Heck, I remember playing Pokemon Monopoly once. Or would that be Pokeopoly? Anyways, it was kind of fun, but a little confusing. Confused
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

Am I alone on this?

Sailor Moon = The Boardgame? I'd play it.

Heck, I remember playing Pokemon Monopoly once. Or would that be Pokeopoly? Anyways, it was kind of fun, but a little confusing. Confused

Anime hyper I Remember buying that lol The recent anime game I have that's confusing is that yugioh boardgame...
Neklof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I too saw the demo at Otakon.

It will include a poker deck (which is also used in the FB game in an interesting way - to keep track of which characters each player has become friends with), and will include rules to Dai Hin Min / Rich Man Poor Man / President / great dalmuti (Dai Hin Min is a classic regular card game with various names in different countries).

A card game where you make friends really seems unique to me and I thought it fit the anime's themes really well.

I agree with Joe Mello that the FMA game wasn't interesting, because you didn't really get to perform alchemy, the game didn't fit at all with FMA in terms of theme. This FB game really did fit though, from what I saw in the demo.

Isaaru's right too, it'd be great if they started making more one-shot games like this for other anime.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
So Score is making yet another card game off an anime. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. And it matters not if the game is a huge success since it is a one time deal anyway. I'm actually intrigued by this idea because it opens the door to smaller animes getting card games, something I don't think has ever been done. Though the game needs to be designed as such, and from what I know it has been.

Score's made Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, Case Closed, SonicX, and Yu Yu Hakusho as far as anime goes. Each has unique properties that makes them great. Sure they all have flaws, but the old Z became one of the longest games, while Inuyasha is one of the highest selling games out there. Don't count Score out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2