• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tencent to Purchase Clannad, Kanon, Air Publisher Visual Arts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:54 am Reply with quote
Big bet the founder has taken with his legacy, so for all the fans who love the products to date hopefully the bet pays off.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
I guess this is a sign that VNs still have a pretty big market.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

Not sure. The vast majority of their current survival is because of Heaven Burns Red, which is a gacha game.

This is the most depressing news I've seen in a long time. Company legacy literally sold to China. I'm grateful for what Baba did over the years... But I really wish it sold to a different company.
Viren21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

It really has a big market but the majority of it are being chinese themselves. Even the english publishers that you know like for example Shiravune thrived because of chinese players. That's why for every english translation they do or announce it comes with a bundle of making a chinese translation in the side. Unfortunately as i know, news wont cover it. the visual novel database is a good place to track publishers works and also their Steam playerbase for their games
Viren21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
this is kinda surprising at the same time understandable. They thrived more on their smartphone game rather than on their own visual novels. Hopefully they would do another one but if they really are absorbed by Tencent im already expecting they would do another gacha game
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not sure. The vast majority of their current survival is because of Heaven Burns Red, which is a gacha game.

This is the most depressing news I've seen in a long time. Company legacy literally sold to China. I'm grateful for what Baba did over the years... But I really wish it sold to a different company.

It's better that Key/VisualArts survives in some form, considering how many other VN companies have closed down over the last five years or so. But still, getting acquired by Tencent is a bitter pill to swallow.

And the experience of fellow VN company âge being acquired by the big multimedia conglomerate Avex is not encouraging: they've driven Muv-Luv to ruin in just four years, and now the franchise creator is on the outside, trying to scrounge crowdfunding to do a Steam release of its predecessor, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
In contrast, Tencent has a pretty good track record of letting their holdings do their own things.

I know Tencent has some reputation for some gamer types but fundamentally, as others pointed out, this is a purchase that makes at least some sense, due to the sizeable Chinese market and that at least, as Baba pointed out, the company is doing well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
The reasoning makes sense. It's a situation where there is a sense of personal responsibility to not have something unpredictable mean that people are out of a job. Tencent might not be an ideal choice, but it's not an unsurprising one. It's always in the market for new investments. Sometimes obtaining IP alone is worth it to companies, and it was probably a relatively cheap purchase for Tencent.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 am Reply with quote
maybe now they can push for an official english release of Kanon and Air,the only major Key VNs left out now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
RIP Key

Death by Tencent, say goodbye to anymore eroge releases.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
maybe now they can push for an official english release of Kanon and Air,the only major Key VNs left out now.

A couple people in various discussions on Reddit have zeroed in on this quote from the announcement:
Quote:
つまりVNから始まった物語系コンテンツは、さまざまなメディアに展開されて、いつまでもえいえんなり、なのだ。

Translated by DeepL:
Quote:
In other words, the narrative content that began with VNs has been developed into a variety of media, and will continue to do so forever.

Depending on how you read it, that sounds like they want to move on from VNs.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:43 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

I just got into visual novels two years ago and I can say yes. They're finally readily available in English and even physical form on the Switch unlike the past where they were stuck in Japan and walled off from the rest of the world.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Moving away from VNs is even worse considering it's Tencent that bought them, they're going to probably turn those IPs into gacha games.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's awful news.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

Most gacha games, even newer 3D ones like Genshin, contain lengthy visual-novel segments. I guess that's why Tencent bought these up.

I don't know who in the world actually wants to play Kanon: Mobile Microtransaction Edition, but in a world where we have mobile gachas for Laid-Back Camp and One-Punch Man (how does that even work? the whole joke is that some random guy is incredibly OP), it's not exactly surprising that they're making one anyway. Anything goes if it's (inexplicably) profitable...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2