• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things I Learned From SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Her boobs are kind of well.....not very attractive.

I like them Embarassed

grooven wrote:
LOL great stuff Zac! Always a pleasure to read!
Loved the idea of Steampunk Creamy Mami too.
I also really can't stand Ya Ya's fake boobs, they are really tacky and look out of place for her cosplay choices.
Midwestern Tanuki wrote:
Also, I've been a cosplayer since 2004. And I have to readily admit I don't think I'd ever heard of Yaya before this train wreck of a show.

I also had never heard of her before this Very Happy

So you know that they are fake (how? I didn't know that) yet you have never hear of her before?

prime_pm wrote:
Christ on crack! I can see her veins in that gif!
Shocker, you can see veins in a part of the human body. No way! Razz

In all honesty though, even though i do like Yaya, I dont like what I've heard about this show. Just sounds... bad, really.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Augmented breasts are like Disneyland.

Fake? Well, yeah. Plastic? No doubt. Fun? Most definitely.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A friend wanted me to watch this show, so I caught an episode last night. I think this article pretty well articulates why I won't be watching it again.
silverpixiefly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Obviously you did not really WATCh the show or you'd know there is a (yes singular) guy in the cast, (who is OBVIOUSLY not there only to serve the purpose) proving that it's really, TRULY about craftsmanship and not all about T&A.

You mean the one guy who seems to only be there to embarrass himself and prove how this is a "girls only" field and that if you can't sexy it up you're doing it wrong?

That is truly sad that the show is sending that kind of a message. There are plenty of great cosplayers who are guys. I guess that is why I am not too upset I haven't been able to see an episode yet. All I hear is how it negatively portrays cosplay and the like.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Dessa wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
As a native, I have to point out that Kumoricon is in my hometown of Vancouver, Wash., not Portland across the river :3

Oh, it moved?

Yep, into the Vancouver Hilton about... five or so years ago.

As an adoptee of Portland-- it's moved around quite a bit. It was in Vancouver in ~2008 for the first time, in '09 and '10 it was in downtown Portland, and in '11-'14 it is/will be in Vancouver again. In its very first year, which I attended, it was actually in Salem Anime dazed

It's still generally seen as "Portland's" anime con, though, in the same sense that the Cowboys are seen as Dallas' football team, despite playing in Arlington, TX.

</response to 3-page-old thread of conversation that is unlikely to still be relevant > Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Suena wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I'm actually curious about where cosplay came from. Always assumed it originated in Japan, as truncated the words "costume" and "play" into "cosplay" is very Japanese, but I didn't realize how many American cosplayers aren't anime/Japanese pop culture fans. The show (or the ep or so I saw of it) makes it clear that the American cosplay scene is mostly non-anime.

When did Americans start dressing up in costumes for cons, and when did the word "cosplay" start getting wide usage in the West? It's not like karaoke--it's such a specific nerd culture thing that there's got to be a story behind it!

There are actually whole web pages dedicated to that topic... Rolling Eyes

Dressing up as fictional characters from movies and TV shows has been around for a veeeery long time in the US. The story goes that a Japanese reporter was at some convention or event here, and coined the mashup term (to use in his article to refer to the fan-costumes).

According to Wikipedia:

• The term was coined by Nobuyuki Takahashi of the Japanese studio Studio Hard while attending the 1984 World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) in Los Angeles.[2] He was impressed by the hall and the costumed fans and reported on both in Japanese science fiction magazines.

The popularity of cosplay in Japan encourages the misconception that cosplay is specifically a Japanese or Asian hobby. The term cosplay is Japanese in origin, but costume play was originally a hobby from the United States. Science fiction fan Forrest J Ackerman attended the 1939 1st World Science Fiction Convention dressed in a "futuristicostume", including a green cape and breeches, based on the pulp magazine artwork of Frank R. Paul.[9]

Suena wrote:

I haven't heard where it went from there, but I assume it started being used in Japan by people who read the article and were doing fan-costuming, and then the term was re-imported to the US by anime fans, and used to refer to anime-specific costumes. And then it got adopted to mean any fan-costume for any media, since there wasn't really any official term currently in use except "dressing up like_____."

The only other prior word was "masquerading," but that's too general and too many syllables.

Yeah, it probably got appropriated by Western media from anime fans starting in the 90's. Kinda like "mecha" because "robots" is too general.

That *is* a really cool story. Thanks for posting it.

Makes sense that it's originally an American/Western thing in that people have been dressing up for masquerades and Carnival for hundreds of years.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
The hypocrisy. I admit I've never read Hellboy, but I'm pretty sure there's not an issue where he becomes a sexy teenage schoolgirl.

Actually, if you watched the episode, she explicitly stated that she WASN'T doing a "female version of Hellboy", but an original character of a "hypothetical little sister of Hellboy."

JBFire wrote:
-The one episode that the girl from the cosplaying podcast attended (second or third episode I think), the regulars treated her like absolute garbage. All of them (including Yaya) insisted she was naive and idiotic for thinking that cosplaying should be about fun and anyone should be able to do any costume they want. They basically sat around and brow beat the girl about how serious business cosplaying is.

Chloe actually spoiler[won an award] in Episode 5.

There is a drinking game now, as apparently someone found on Facebook.

I've been reading the thread on a site called The RPF (which is apparently for costumers/prop builders/fabricators, and for which Jinyo is always wearing T-shirts for), and found some interesting info RE: the Anime Matsuri stuff (posted by someone who had friends in the contest and backstage):

spoiler[Here is a run-down of what happened to my friends at Anime Matsuri:

• My two friends were both qualifiers for the final round of prelims for World Cosplay Summit. When they got to judging, the people running the contest were talking about how Heroes of Cosplay wanted to ‘plant’ a skit in the competition and have the judges ‘let’ them win for the sake of the show. Keep in mind that this contest received its qualifiers very early in advance (September 14th of last year, to be exact) through separate prelims that took place in different conventions/dates across the country.
• The judges of course said no and the crew was threw a fit about it.
• The girls who did the Fushigi Yugi skit actually STOLE their skit from the World Cosplay Summit 2010 USA representatives (look up ‘Anime Matsuri 2013 Fushigi Yugi’ on YouTube and then search ‘World Cosplay Summit 2010 Fushigi Yugi’ for comparison). It has a lot of the same movements, props and actions, albeit condensed and to different music.
• The best part about this is, one of the 2010 USA reps. was a masquerade judge. Remember Rynn? She was the one who performed the original WCS skit with her friend Sumikins (who was also at the convention with her) and the HoC girls performed almost an exact copy of it right in front of them.
They were not docked points because of her headdress breaking. They were disqualified because their skit was completely stolen.
• Due to unexpected fog machines during the contest, two of my friends started having asthma problems backstage. They headed back to the green room to get their inhalers, only to find that the Heroes of Cosplay crew locked themselves inside. Upon knocking at the door, they were screamed at by a camera man and told to keep quiet. One of my friends was on the verge of passing out, so my other friend ran to get security.
• It turns out, they took everything inside the green-room (bags/purses, even props and backdrops from WCS performances) and dumped them into an unsupervised hallway where things were rummaged through and stolen. Of course, they only learned this almost an HOUR after getting security because the crew refused to cooperate.
• SyFy offered to provide a cash prize of $1,800 to the cosplay contest. Anime Matsuri people happily agreed, though they were shocked to discovered that the crew expected the money to go to one of their planted skits (the Cats girls or the Fushigi Yugi girls). Again, the judges said no. Two of my friends actually won Best in Show (they were not even shown in the episode) and did not know it came with a cash prize. They were over the moon excited…until they found out that they wouldn’t be receiving the money until AFTER the convention.
• Six months pass. No word from Anime Matsuri about the money. They made a big post about it to Tumblr, tagging the show and SyFy and hoping that they can spread the word. Anime Matsuri sees the post and had to give them their cash prize out of the CONVENTION FUNDING because SyFy refused to pay people who weren’t the cast.
• Becky was interviewing people backstage as they came off. Did you notice how they only showed the interview with the Fushigi Yugi girls? This was because every time a group was interviewed and they were asked what they were cosplaying, the crew would get annoyed and say things like, “Yeah, nobody is going to know what that is.”
• They tried interviewing my friends after they won Best in Show and cut them off right as they said what they were from, then just left.
• The throwing up during the Cats skit was fake. She started fake barfing into the garbage cans and when people rushed to help her or bring her water, the crew screamed at them and told them to go away. One girl got in their faces and ignored them, only to have one of the girls say, “It’s okay, I’m actually alright.”
• Notice how everyone seems to be ignoring her while she’s throwing up in line? That’s not people being rude; it’s the crew scaring them away from helping her to make them look bad.]

Also, page 23 has a link to this article (they like it), page 19 (I think) has a picture of Yaya before her implants, and somewhere in the more recent pages, Jinyo's had some comments (he also has a blog about the show).

[edit]From Jinyo's blog, about the Yui costume. Yes, Victoria does do a lot of work on her costumes, it's the editing that makes it look like Jinyo does all/the majority of it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Man, one of the best articles of satire I have read in a good, long while! Well done!

Yeah, that show can go die in a corner
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this was a very fun and...enlightening read. Would love to see more articles like this here.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Dessa wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
As a native, I have to point out that Kumoricon is in my hometown of Vancouver, Wash., not Portland across the river :3

Oh, it moved?

Yep, into the Vancouver Hilton about... five or so years ago.

As an adoptee of Portland-- it's moved around quite a bit. It was in Vancouver in ~2008 for the first time, in '09 and '10 it was in downtown Portland, and in '11-'14 it is/will be in Vancouver again. In its very first year, which I attended, it was actually in Salem Anime dazed

It's still generally seen as "Portland's" anime con, though, in the same sense that the Cowboys are seen as Dallas' football team, despite playing in Arlington, TX.

</response to 3-page-old thread of conversation that is unlikely to still be relevant > Very Happy

It actually started out in Eugene, OR. I attended the first one, which only had a couple hundred people, and the second one, which was the first time it was in Portland.

Not a bad con. I enjoyed the smaller atmosphere over Sakuracon. Sakuracon is nice, too, though.

EDIT:
On topic, theres a few guys in this show. However, of the main cast is only Jesse. He was on last nights show doing a Assassins Creed 4 cosplay, and won a prize for his work.

My personal take on this show is kind of meh. The episode where one of the girls had dinner with the rest, and she said "Cosplay is about having fun, right?" whie the others scoffed at the notion was kind of a let down. As was the general attitude that you should only cosplay what you can do.

I'm a large guy, and that had me dismayed. Screw them. If Yaya Han is at the next con I ever go to, I will personally cosplay Superman, and walk up to her and just say "Deal with it" right to her face.

Cosplay is only as serious as you make it, and it seems like these folks mostly take the fun out of it. They're mostly using it as a jumping pad for other things, and thats fine. Thats their goal, and more power to them.

That doesn't give them the right to tell other people they're stuff is shitty or crappy. Everyone starts somewhere, and I hate their general attitudes about it.

Side note. As a fun drinking game I play with friends when we watch the show. Get some shot glasses and your favorite alcohol. I use a nice mix of Sprite and Triple Sec. Take a shot everytime someone refers to themselves (I, Me, Us, etc). Have fun.

Last edited by Raoh on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
For those that were dismayed about Yaya Han's disturbing comment about overweight people cosplaying certain characters...
Well, it turns out that comment [and her "rivalry" with Jessica Nigri] was set up, just like the rest of the outrage that was featured within the show.
It seems that in reality, Yaya is actually a really friendly cosplayer.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
This show almost put me off from cosplaying but i'm glad i read comments from real cosplayers about what the show got wrong .
I just watch this show for kicks really I don't take it seriously anymore but i kinda get pissed off when the cast is acting like they would die because they didn't win a stupid contest it's just cosplay have fun . When i start cosplaying i think i will avoid the competition part of it .
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't like the show. People take it far too seriously. I watched a couple of episodes and I don't like that big-boobed vain woman. The episode I watched that she wasn't in at all was the best one; we got to see the pov from people who use cosplay to promote their own business and do it for fun, and from the pov of someone who wants to go into the business of costume design and build a portfolio.

There are different forms of cosplay: fun, career boosting, and attention-hogging. Most of what I've seen of the show is the attention hogs

And another thought, since I chose to turn it over if that Yaya chick is in the show, have they had any male cosplayers FEATURED on the show?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Also, page 23 has a link to this article (they like it), page 19 (I think) has a picture of Yaya before her implants, and somewhere in the more recent pages, Jinyo's had some comments (he also has a blog about the show).

Thanks for the link, though I'm saddened to report that I looked at page 19 and it does not appear to be the correct page number for that info.
http://www.therpf.com/f47/syfys-heroes-cosplay-193238/index19.html
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Since reality TV or any slice-of-life or WWE is not real, just treat it like any scripted show, and y'all be fine.

Lady Multi wrote:

And another thought, since I chose to turn it over if that Yaya chick is in the show, have they had any male cosplayers FEATURED on the show?

Jesse with the moustache. He's in every episode except the anime one, and he just won 3rd place overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9