• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - MUCC + Nana Kitade Live

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
v1cious wrote:
http://www.jpopcd.com/vid/nana/nana_id_complete_hi.asx

either she's really oblivious, or lying

what type of file is this, and what is it? i can't seem to be able to play it.

yeah it's a stream file i think. anyways it's a video message of her thanking her fans for making her concert such a "Success" just go to http://www.tofurecords.com

it's also on a certain place with videos that everyone knows, but isn't allowed to mention.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
vulgar mushi wrote:
The person who reviewed this is probably some anime fan who went to otakon and has very little interest in rock music/music in general.

Yes, that's got to be it.
wings of words

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought Nana Kitade was some old woman.

She didn't look bad at all in that gothloli outfit.

What? Her music? ...
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this review of the Saturday show is almost 180 degrees from what I experienced at the Friday night show. Friday night the crowd was quite frenzied for MUCC. Constant jumping on the floor, a small mosh pit...I wonder if the hardcore audience made sure to attend the first show and the second show was filled with the moderately interested.

(I was in the center on the floor, either in or slightly to the left of the mosh pit at any given moment.)

Last edited by TheTsunami on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruby-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami - it seemed like there were more people on Saturday and I thought the response was just as strong (and the mosh pit was actually a few people larger later on in the show) Smile
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I was at the Friday night show, lower level, left and behind the pit, stayed through the encore. A few thoughts.

1) Nana Kitade - Nice voice, cute outfits. But complex, multi-tracked pop doesn't come off all that well when there is only one visible performer in an intimate setting. If it was just her and a guitar, it might have worked, but with all the pre-recorded synthesized background music, it felt more like watching a skilled Karaoke performer than an actual concert.

2) MUCC - I was impressed. Even with the language barrier, Tatsuro (the singer) was a commanding stage presence. The lead guitarist was a wizard, and most of the songs were effective.

Regarding audience reaction. I may not have been jumping and shaking my fingers during every song, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself immensely. There was an active portion of the crowd, but don't forget that many of us went because we were curious, not because we were already fans of either act. I'm reminded of the time I was at a Rocky Horror showing at my university's International House. A small group knew everything, a larger group had some experience with the material and were able to join in occasionally, but the majority of the audience, while perhaps interested, didn't know what was expected from them. For me, this concert was like that: Is this a ballad or a slow intro to a long rocker? Was that the conclusion of the last song or is there still a brief coda? Should I use my hands to clap or to mimic the salute Tatsuro made? I wonder if Saturday's crowd was more involved, as there would have been more experienced people to help lead the audience.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
I seriously think this reviewer was imagining things, because the people at the Saturday show I saw were enthusiastic and excited. As I was walking back from the show to the convention center, I overheard numerous people saying things like "That was so awesome!!!", "I have to download MUCC's music now!", and "Those guys were so hot!". As for Nana Kitade, by comparison, the crowd was definitely more excited for MUCC. However, Kitade still got her fair share of cheers and applause (besides, MUCC was the main act...it was expected for them to receive a more enthusiastic reception).

Oh, and for the record, while I did see a few people leave in the middle of the concert, the vast majority of people stayed until the end. Honestly, this review really has me scratching my head.

vulgar mushi wrote:
The person who reviewed this is probably some anime fan who went to otakon and has very little interest in rock music/music in general.

This has to be it. There's no other explanation.

As for my opinion on the concert, well, that should be pretty clear. Wink
Rikabu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I unfortunately did not get to go to Friday's concert.
Saturday's was great. I enjoyed it.

Nana was okay.. If nothing else, she was good eye candy. I cheered her on, regardless of how she was.

MUCC was great. Awesome. Nice concert.

And yes, I laughed at this entire article. I was wondering if I was at the same concert..?? Anime hyper
Shuichiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I find it really amusing that so many of us are in agreement that the article is or is almost completely wrong.

It feels more like the article is an forum post rather than a journalistic article.

I wish the writer would have gotten to do something else with his/her evening, seeing that they didn't think much of the show and seems to have made up thier mind before even seeing it.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Since I was actually AT the Saturday show, I too have to wonder if this reviewer was watching the same show I saw. Mind you, I didn't stay to the end, because something came up, but still -- this is at odds with both my own experience and pretty much every other review I've seen.

1. Nana Kitade was offered to us by the label as an opener for MUCC. We have worked extensively with TOFU and trusted their judgement on this, and judging by the responses I've seen literally everywhere else, she was as much of a draw for our crowd as the relatively unknown MUCC.

2. MUCC was *amazing* -- and i'm not really a big fan of that style of music. They were on the mark, they played the crowd like masters, and the energy was amazing -- even if there were few people actively head-banging.

3. The venue was chosen because all our buddies at the labels have advised us that artists really prefer to play an ACTUAL musical venue -- especially one like the Rams Head which, while new, has an excellent and well-deserved reputation. It's actually affordable to do a concert there, and my ONLY regret is that the venue's a bit of a hike from the BCC. But it's not a horrible walk, and it's a pretty cheap taxi fare.

4. The reason L'Arc and Angela played in different places on different nights is that they were provided by different labels.

-Jim Vowles
Chairman, Otakon 2006
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting because we've been down this road a couple of times before with my reviews: People seem to think the article is overwhelmingly negative, while I think it's fair and descriptive with many positive and negative comments.

I guess when most people write about their concert experiences, they focus only on the positive--and why not? They're there to have fun. But when I write something negative, like that Kitade's guitar playing didn't match the sound, or that MUCC went on for too long, people seem to forget the positive things I write, like that Kitade's FMA theme was pitch-perfect and Tatsuro was in total control of the venue.

If I had to summarize my Otakon report for someone, I'd say Kitade was pretty good but out of place, and MUCC entranced the audience for most of the night. Reading it again, I realize I made clear my feeling that the concert went on for too long, which makes sense since it was my last impression. But I don't understand why so many people are getting hung up on that. What about MUCC's smart placement of a couple of slower songs to show some versatility? What about the (not always, and certainly not for Kitade, but still pretty constant) audience enthusiasm?

Maybe you just think I'm too harsh in general. That's fine. I won't go on any monologue about high standards, but I do think I'm fair and consistent, which should be good enough.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
This is interesting because we've been down this road a couple of times before with my reviews: People seem to think the article is overwhelmingly negative, while I think it's fair and descriptive with many positive and negative comments.

I guess when most people write about their concert experiences, they focus only on the positive--and why not? They're there to have fun. But when I write something negative, like that Kitade's guitar playing didn't match the sound, or that MUCC went on for too long, people seem to forget the positive things I write, like that Kitade's FMA theme was pitch-perfect and Tatsuro was in total control of the venue.

If I had to summarize my Otakon report for someone, I'd say Kitade was pretty good but out of place, and MUCC entranced the audience for most of the night. Reading it again, I realize I made clear my feeling that the concert went on for too long, which makes sense since it was my last impression. But I don't understand why so many people are getting hung up on that. What about MUCC's smart placement of a couple of slower songs to show some versatility? What about the (not always, and certainly not for Kitade, but still pretty constant) audience enthusiasm?

Maybe you just think I'm too harsh in general. That's fine. I won't go on any monologue about high standards, but I do think I'm fair and consistent, which should be good enough.

Hey, you're a reviewer. You are supposed to give YOUR opinion of how things went down and your impression of how it was received. Opinions, of course, are like ....well, you know. But I certainly don't object to a negative review as long as it's not factually wrong.

People don't have to agree with your opinion, but another harsh truth about writing reviews and/or criticism with any frequency is that you can become jaded without realizing it, and you can start relying on the easy path when it comes to finding things to say. By which I mean that it's often easier to be amusing by being negative (see Mr Cranky), and easier to write about the things that stuck out than about the things that went right.

But it really does sound like you had a miserable time, and that's not an experience reported by many others who attended either concert.

A friend who does reviews sometimes employs this trick: he writes two first drafts -- one that would delight the artist, and one that would delight the snarkiest critic. Then he writes something that captures a bit of both. (Personally, I'm not big on too many drafts -- I tend to write a huge pile of words and then strip things away until I like it better -- but you get my point.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:

People don't have to agree with your opinion, but another harsh truth about writing reviews and/or criticism with any frequency is that you can become jaded without realizing it, and you can start relying on the easy path when it comes to finding things to say. By which I mean that it's often easier to be amusing by being negative (see Mr Cranky), and easier to write about the things that stuck out than about the things that went right.

Okay, that's true, but it isn't true about Jon's review. Jon is one of the most enthusiastic and educated music critics I know. He isn't jaded or cynical, he's just honest about what he sees, and frankly, to insinuate that he's being purposefully negative just because you don't agree with his review is.. irresponsible. You disagree with him. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with his review, or that he's too cynical.

Quote:

But it really does sound like you had a miserable time, and that's not an experience reported by many others who attended either concert.

No it doesn't. Reread the review. It is a positive review that points out some of the sore spots of the concert.

Quote:

A friend who does reviews sometimes employs this trick: he writes two first drafts -- one that would delight the artist, and one that would delight the snarkiest critic. Then he writes something that captures a bit of both. (Personally, I'm not big on too many drafts -- I tend to write a huge pile of words and then strip things away until I like it better -- but you get my point.)

Thanks for the tips, man, but Jon is a professional critic who does excellent work. He knows what he's doing, and his comments on the concert were fair.

I understand that it's easy to take negative comments about the concert personally - hey, it's your convention, after all. I know what it's like when someone talks about what they don't like at ANN; kinda gets to me. But I don't try to invalidate everything they say by insinuating some kind of overarching bias or purposeful negativity (unless they're completely wrong or it's obvious they are biased); I simply disagree. Especially if I know that person is a long-time professional.
Ruby-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The point that Jim and other people here are trying to make is that a good number of the statements or impressions made in the article were factually wrong or just his opinions being passed along as fact. It has nothing to do with us taking things personally, or just not agreeing with the negative opinions. We're taking issue with giving incorrect information to people who didn't attend and so don't know better. Statements like people not being enthusiastic for Nana; that is just an untrue remark. I was there. And we were enthusiastic. MUCC played for too long? No they didn't, it was a pretty normal concert length and they certainly had enough variety and were more than entertaining enough to play for the time they did. Maybe he personally wanted to leave after 45 minutes, who knows - that doesn't mean that MUCC played for too long. The list can go on, but I don't feel like combing the article.

I don't know how you can call it a "positive review" - most people who read it but didn't attend now think the concert stunk... while people who did attend and enjoy it are saying "What are you talking about? It was great!" Obviously, most people reading this found it to be negative.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ruby-chan wrote:
T factually wrong or just his opinions being passed along as fact. Statements like people not being enthusiastic for Nana; that is just an untrue remark. I was there. And we were enthusiastic. MUCC played for too long? No they didn't, it was a pretty normal concert length and they certainly had enough variety and were more than entertaining enough to play for the time they did.

Considering how completely subjective the nature of those two statements are, Jon isn't "factually wrong", you just disagree with his assessment. He isn't the only person in the world saying Nana had an unenthusiastic response; there are people in this thread agreeing that people were heckling her, and that the crowd was more excited for MUCC. That means she got a relatively unenthusiastic response.

MUCC playing for too long is again a totally subjective thing. Jon thinks they did. You didn't. Neither of you is "factually right". So you might want to climb down off that horse you're riding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4