• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Offers Maoyu – Archenemy & Hero on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It sounds interesting and the reviews favor the series being more decent than not; Combined with the very watchable cast, it should, at the very least, be average. A "oh, I'll probable watch it - if I remember to" sort of show.

I take it Log Horizon is giving Section 23 good numbers? I can see the DVD back cover now...

On the other hand, this does sound more like a Log Horizon subplot than a fully realized concept.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Good news, though what I really wanted to hear in reference to this show is that it's getting a second season.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
if this gets dubbed, would Maou be referred to as "Archenemy"?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see this one get released, and a bit surprised given how crappy the Japanese sales figures were. I (mostly) thought it was quite a good series - drop the harem antics that pop up for a time in the middle and it has my unequivocal support - and would love to see the story continue.

Definitely not a series for everyone, though. Much more thoughtful and strategic than action-oriented.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Definitely not a series for everyone, though. Much more thoughtful and strategic than action-oriented.

Couldn't help but dislike how told it's story through mainly dialogue. Lengthy infodumps after time-skips are do not make for ideal story-telling. The underlying plot seemed interesting, but the show seemed more focused on telling us about cool stuff that happened rather then showing it, something that is better suited for a non-visual medium. Also it ended sorta incomplete which is lame since the chances for a sequel don't seem very likely.

Last edited by gedata on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Key wrote:

Couldn't help but dislike how told it's story through mainly dialogue Lengthy infodumps after time-skips are do not make for ideal story-telling. The underlying plot seemed interesting, but the show seemed more focused on telling us about cool stuff that happened rather then showing it. Also it ended sorta incomplete which is lame.

I agree. Being more strategic and intelligent would have been ways to describe the series had the storytelling not been butchered by poor directorial choices. Good premise, bad execution; read the various print forms of the story instead.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The show may not have been the greatest, but at least it gave us Maou who has a fantastic design, and her Kotobukiya figure is wonderful.

Would very much watch a second season, because it still has the potential to be good.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I really did enjoy Maoyu quite a bit myself, but my problem with it was that it came across to me as 'Spice and Wolf, but trying way too hard'. I could almost hear the creative team pleading with me-the-viewer, "Hey, these are interesting topics! What would it take to make you pay attention to them? Would a demon babe with huge breasts do it? C'mon!". It made the fanservice that was there feel even more tacked-on and uncomfortable. It's a pity, because it really is a show I enjoyed, and one I wanted to like even more than I did. Its best moments (for instance, the lantern/lecture scenes in the first episode) were outright transcendent.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
^
I think this is a pretty apt description of the parts of the series that I didn't like.

And while I'll agree that the show was very talky, I never felt that it was info-dumping that much. It seemed much more like it was letting viewers in on the thought processes behind what was going on. Besides, there's a limit to how much you can "show" when the topic at hand is how new staple crops and growing methods can revolutionize the economics of a kingdom, and hence that kingdom's dependence on others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
How about "Dark Lord"?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And while I'll agree that the show was very talky, I never felt that it was info-dumping that much. It seemed much more like it was letting viewers in on the thought processes behind what was going on. Besides, there's a limit to how much you can "show" when the topic at hand is how new staple crops and growing methods can revolutionize the economics of a kingdom, and hence that kingdom's dependence on others.

But sometimes, the things that were told instead of shown to us were of the less agricultural and economical variety. I remember in particular how some of Yuusha adventures in between episodes and time-skips sounded solidly interesting/entertaining, given some added development but... they never really were. (I think it was the episode where he talked about the cow princess.)

As mediocre as sizable portions of the story/execution were, I really loved the character design and other parts of this show's aesthetics, so it's a shame that if I really want to follow up more on the series.... I'll have to settle for the LN or a manga with vastly different (and personally less enjoyable) art.

Now as for the license acquistion itself... does it really have to be subtitled as "Archenemy & Hero?" That sets up a hero/villain relationship that's over before the end of the first episode. (Perhaps the subtitle was written ironically on Sentai's part? Though I wouldn't want to give them too much credit.) If there's to be a subtitle, I'd think it'd be most proper for it to be "Demon Queen and Hero" or "Demon Ruler and Hero."
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
This show in a nutshell:

Wink
burnpsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of complaints about the choice of "Archenemy" in this thread...

...But that's on about half of the Japanese logos for the manga adaptations. This was definitely from the Japanese side, not from Sentai.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
I am 50/50 on this one. Sentai annouced Hentai Prince, one of the shows that I was looking forward too for a late 2013 release and nothing. And a few other shows in their catalog I haven't heard anything about.

But if it actually gets released, I will pick this one up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Very poor execution of some amazing ideas. The adaptation as a whole was extremely disappointing, given how good this could have and should have been.

The guy who wrote the original novels for this is the same guy who wrote the Log Horizon novels. At least that show got a good adaptation, plus an enviable broadcast slot on NHK. I really feel sorry for Maoyuu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3