• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KLab Addresses Love Live! App English Translation Complaints in Statement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:

All of your posts in this thread have been about how you don't think it's LGBT (like somehow ladies flirting with each other isn't gay at all) and that if it is "It's not some pride piece, I don't see the issue...".

It's not though. Have you seen the show? I certainly would not call Love Live a yuri series more than I would K-ON or anything of that sort. I don't think that's a false statement to make. I mean, I just don't see it that way. It would be one thing if it were explicitly shown or stated, but all we get is teasing. Hardly the same thing in my view.

Quote:
To me it seemed like he was implying that it was bad because it was just fanservice pandering.

The idea that girl/girl media is explicitly for boys is incredibly common. If their condemnation was over the fanservice itself, there would be no reason to specify "For males".

Seriously, though. Done now.

Sure, but I don't even think that was the point of his comment. I suppose he could have changed it to say "fanservice at worst", but the issue I raised(and the one I believe he was raising) is still there. That said, I do wonder if girl on girl fanservice marketed towards females is common. I don't think it is, and I think his comment reflects that more than anything else.

Actar wrote:

This reminds me about the case where the line of "Pokemon marrying humans" was removed in the English version of Diamond and Pearl. Are those in the West just that more conservative and/or sensitive?

I think people here are definitely more sensitive to these things. I don't know that for sure, of course, but it seems like it. In the case of Pokémon, however, I imagine that was partially because it's supposed to be a children's game. Add in a bit of extra sensitivity and...you get some things removed. As I said though, it's just speculation. I can't say for sure.

Last edited by Foxaika on Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
The way it sounds to me is that the only altered very few lines. Most of the game leaves all references in text. And has to do more with the players gender which can be difficult to pin down due to the way Japanese works.

If it's causing them that many problems it should be pretty easy to fix. Judging by the amount they left in, I highly doubt it stems from homophobia or any ill intent.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
So, from what I understood from the article and the posts here, the English lines were altered because the creators got complaints about how the MC (which is a student in a all-girls school, so that would make the MC a female as well) was bantering - and maybe teasing to some degree - the other NPCs? I don't know if it was done to reduce the "same-sex sexual tensions" or because some of the complaints were "my waifu can't be gay; she's pristine and pure", but that sounds like an ill-mannered move.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The way it sounds to me is that the only altered very few lines. Most of the game leaves all references in text. And has to do more with the players gender which can be difficult to pin down due to the way Japanese works.

If it's causing them that many problems it should be pretty easy to fix. Judging by the amount they left in, I highly doubt it stems from homophobia or any ill intent.

I also think this is more an artifact of them choosing to define the player as having a stated gender for better word flow in English and picking male because they assumed, some what clunkily, the player would be male rather than going with what makes narrative sense. I do think it is rather sad that they think somehow a potential male player can't cope with the idea of playing a female character despite that female gamers deal with this fine when playing anything with a male protag all the time. Note I think actual male players of the game would have not minded at all, but it is the company who thinks they can't.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
The game doesn't even have a player character as such. Apart from the tutorial, the story is completely around μ's , and no one else is spoken to, bar a couple of family cameos. There are talk events which are unlocked from leveling up members, and they do address the player, but they more sound like they are talking to a fan, rather a school mate.

I'd love to know what the particular instances were, since I can't think of anything of the top of my head.
Iromaru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I also think this is more an artifact of them choosing to define the player as having a stated gender for better word flow in English and picking male because they assumed, some what clunkily, the player would be male rather than going with what makes narrative sense. I do think it is rather sad that they think somehow a potential male player can't cope with the idea of playing a female character despite that female gamers deal with this fine when playing anything with a male protag all the time. Note I think actual male players of the game would have not minded at all, but it is the company who thinks they can't.

It's more than that. In most games with anime or sort-of anime style a ton of players play female characters when it's possible. Look at all the MMO's with anime art style. Usually the vast majority of players play female characters. It was never a problem. It might be a problem amongst 15y old mainstream CoD players, but not amongst the players who would play this or other anime games. Most would prefer to play a female character.

And Love Live may not be a true yuri series, but it always had strong yuri undertones. And those yuri undertones are one of the reasons why it's amongst the best selling TV anime in history and currently holds the record for the best selling single TV anime volume.

It's really funny that the supposedly enlightened and tolerant west censors the homosexual stuff in a game from Japan. Good job land of freedom and equality.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
Also I may be wrong on this because it's been awhile since I did the tutorial but did it ever state that the player was a student at the school?

Because in most cases it is very gender neutral and seemingly makes sense from that angle. From what I've seen it works perfectly if the player is male or female. Except for maybe one of the lines they changed which I believe are in a minority anyway. Maybe that's just the way the English version is written and it's different in the Japsnese version but I really can't say.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
I don't believe this issue completely revolves around Love Live! either. In the United States at least, we seem to be escalating into a full civil rights movement with the LGBT community finally gaining a voice for host of rights, freedoms, and recognition they deserve. Here we call it 'fanservice', but the right to choose a gender is still a basic right. As part of the anime community, I think we have been concious of this phenomenon for a while now; but it seems the ripples are starting to spread amongst other fandoms and mindsets, fairly quickly with the internet community growing.

I am not surprised to hear about this headline, because all these seperate issues are beginning to fuel a much larger, and hopefully globally growing, cause.
Fipse

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

But this is not the case here, this just another cases where rabid fanon have their yuri goggles turned to the max, and construe some yuri where at worst there is none and at best it is a stretch. I can't tell how many shows there are where the fandom pull this kind of stunt, even when its as explicit as possible that its not the case. Its gotten to the point if two males or females exist in a show, they are viewed as gay/lesbian until proven otherwise, and even then when an author outright states its not the case, they think the author has lost their mind, and they no better [I can't think of a better example than Duo and Hero].

Yuri goggles? Did you even watch Season 2 of LL? The creators added the yuri subtext on purpose because yuri ships are so popular over in Japan.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Fact 1: Love Live! is not yuri.
Fact 2: Love Live School Idol Festival's English translation retains much of the "not-so-subtle lesbianism jokes" that the original game has.

1. but it still has yuri undertones, like a lot of franchises with all-girl casts.
2. Which does not change the fact they changed some parts.

Quote:

As someone who has played through much of the English version of the game, I have personally experienced (and been made uncomfortable by) more than my fair share of "skinship" jokes. Now maybe they may have altered a scene or two in order to more easily translate a joke or something, what the pluck ever. Sure, half of the game is literally fanservice, but let's face it: your lesbian ships are not as important as you think they are.

If get uncomfortable from yuri undertones, but these kind of stories/series are not for you.

These kind of franchises have implied yuri ships for a reason.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ehhh I haven't seen any of the changed scenes in question so I can't verify what the original Japanese says... but I've become really dubious of anyone on the internet claiming "they removed the lesbian overtones! The Japanese word they used was **** which means "love/desire/I want to have your babies" and they translated it as "like"!". There's too many people that don't know Japanese arguing over the nuances of the Japanese language.

And I'm really apt to blame the translator for any perceived 'censoring'. While the translated version of the game is playable it was obvious they didn't understand the nuances (aha here I go) of the English language, so it doesn't surprise me that some "overtones" are lost. The most amusing example to me is on your friends page, instead of saying "last login" (as in, the last time your friend logged in to the game) it says "final login", which has quite a different meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
There are people in here defending a poor translation.

Let that sink in.

I guess that's par for the course for ANN readers though.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I played the introduction of the game, but wasn't that the only part that even remotely suggested the player character's gender? If that's the case, shouldn't KLab already addressed the issue since there's pretty much a year for the complaints to pile up. Or did some of the recent bonus scenes actually start implicitly stating that the player character is male (I've been fast forwarding all of those for a while now since there's really nothing to them aside from blatant ship tease with the player so I wouldn't know)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't want to start anything. I just want to get my feelings out

I'm sorry, but take it back and fix it. I love Love live and it's undertones. But to censor a game away from what it is in the original version is unforgivible in general. your supose to release the game the way in was intented to. not censor crap your not comfortable with. I already had enough of that crap when they use to censor the english dubs of anime and Tales of Hearts R which was just released last year....I don't want to start with that one.......

to also have a crappy translation on top of it and sell it that way is also bad. don't release something with a crappy translation and expect it to sell once people find out it has a bad translation.....

just please, get a better translator, fix the game the way it's suppose to be, and just stop with the censoring. that's all I ask.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the people bringing up grievances of KLab of America's English translation of the Love Live App- their attempt of wiping away any homosexual references from the title reeks of censorship and does a sheer disservice to their customers. I hope KLab will get around to fixing the translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5