• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaos Dragon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Pretty sure there's going to be another cour next year.

Could be, but there were shows that presented a build-up towards a larger story, only for it to be undone/resolved in the last episode or two, and not always gracefully.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
^As far as I can tell from searching google, MAL, and the ANNcyclopedia, there's been no announcement of a 2nd season, or of the series being split-cour. I don't know how well the series is doing sales/pre-order wise, but unless it was planned as a split cour series and they just haven't mentioned it yet, I don't see this going past 12 episodes.
Merostay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
the show was neutered when Makoto Sanda (the game master of the TRPG and LN writer) decided to use the LN as a way to rewrite the TRPG into what he planned, and not what it became (Buchi did not allow the bath scene a few episodes ago to happen,but suck it Buchi, Sanda`s in control now.)
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'd rather be watching Urobuchi's epic derails to be honest.

Ulrika wasn't worth this ;_;
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
^As far as I can tell from searching google, MAL, and the ANNcyclopedia, there's been no announcement of a 2nd season, or of the series being split-cour. I don't know how well the series is doing sales/pre-order wise, but unless it was planned as a split cour series and they just haven't mentioned it yet, I don't see this going past 12 episodes.

But judging from the pace they're adapting the source they certainly won't be able to cover more than a half of the original sessions in this season. That's why I believe that there will be another cour for another half.
Merostay wrote:
the show was neutered when Makoto Sanda (the game master of the TRPG and LN writer) decided to use the LN as a way to rewrite the TRPG into what he planned, and not what it became (Buchi did not allow the bath scene a few episodes ago to happen,but suck it Buchi, Sanda`s in control now.)

Any source for that? And as I've already said Makoto Sanda's LN version is a novellization of anime, not backwards.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show's rationale for this is that zombies won't die even if you "kill" them

But, normally...
Merostay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Quote:
The show's rationale for this is that zombies won't die even if you "kill" them

But, normally...

you know, i really wanted ufotable to use the line too, only to see if people would fall back on the old pic, or the new updated Ufotable pic
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out that what Ibuki did with having the red dragon murder Mashiro was to make sure his sister could never revive her with her own powers. Normal returned ones die when you kill them. However, it's all for naught if there's a crazy chick with revive powers who can just bring them back. Ibuki found a loophole to make his sister's powers not work on Mashiro
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
if you think ibuki's sister is crazy, ibuki is far more crazier.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
It seemed like she had a bunch of Kouran Magic Scales shoot out of her arm, so maybe she stole them from Byakuei? I dunno, that never happened in the campaign.

As for Ulrika's death, it went down differently. And I'm pretty sure she wasn't in love with Swallow either.

spoiler[Urobuchi attacks the Dark Dragon Knights, kills some randoms, rolls a bunch of criticals and kills Ulrika, and as he closes in on Simeon...] spoiler[gets Black Bladed without any dice to defend himself. RIP Urobuchi until he resurrects as a zombie overlord with awesome new clothing.]
Merostay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
the review was a funny read this week...

anyway,

ignoring the part where Ulrika wasnt in love with Swallow in the campain, i`ll say it again, Nasu didn't have a hand in creating anything but Swallow,and offer suggestions for Meryll,

now the funny part, All the sexual tension between Swallow and Lou WAS in the original campaign.Ho Yay all the way. its one of the possible reasons why buchi was changed to a woman, to preemptively disarm all the fujyoshi
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
Can we take like, just Ka Grava, and put him in a better show? He's the only character that is enjoyable at this point in an unironic way, although that might just be because he has no screentime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ibuki, in his infinite wisdom, agrees that he could never sacrifice Eykha, but does not add the extremely important caveat that it's because he loves her too much to hurt her, not too little. I cannot think of a single reason for him to do this.

Because he's shy.

Confessing to your loved one is a terror that tops all others, and risking a display of compassion that might give it away is just too dreadful to even consider. It might make him blush and her pain means nothing compared to that horrifying prospect. Smile

Honestly, this is even better hate-reviewing than Psycho-Pass 2, and I'm enjoying every word of it. The head shot was a marvel. Pity I have to suffer the episodes to make the most of your reviews.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some nameless Nil Kamui villagers decided to murder/rape her for inadequately explored reasons, pushing her over the brink into cackling super-villain. (I don't care how scary Kouran's forces are, that is absolutely no excuse to start mob-groping your potential future queen who carries the power of a dragon inside her.

This is completely wrong. The reasons don't need to be adequately explained or explored, because it makes complete sense. Anything goes with mob mentality. There is no logic or sense of consequences. It is quite plausible and believable for a mob to assault their future queen

While we don't have dragon powers or magic, these things happen all the time in real life. It's the bad side of human nature.

But this is the only nitpick I have. I loved your review of this episode. Not only was it informative, it was entertaining.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll be straight-- I haven't really been keeping up with Chaos Dragon. In part because of how bad I heard it was from the get-go, partly because I don't have a paid FUNi subscription, and partly because it's a busy enough season for me as it is! But I've nonetheless glimpsed some through these reviews because I have been interested in reading analyses regarding the writers involved in the original tabletop RPG campaign, and how they may or may not have been reflected through their characters and the scenario in the anime. Knowing how much Hope hates Nasu (or do I know? is "hate' too strong a word?), I've been tempted to defend Nasu when she's vilified him through the character he created for the original campaign, Swallow, but I've refrained because of people regularly watching this show know more about it than me. And would it have been really worth it when Nasu himself doesn't seem to be that heavily involved with the writing of the anime to begin with, anyway?

But then this review goes ahead and makes more direct parallels with Nasu-written works, so yeah, I'll bite this time.
review wrote:
Following his rejection of the Kouran empress, Sweallow's showdown with Lou is one of the most absurdly perfect microcosms for Nasu's character writing that I may ever see. (It's also just a good bit of unintentional comedy on its own.) Sweallow doesn't know that Ulrika's been killed, so in an effort to distract him and land a killing blow, Lou tosses Ulrika's severed head at Sweallow's face. As her blonde cranium spins through the air, Sweallow blazes past it without missing a beat. He thinks only "so Ulrika died..." and continues fighting. His maid then gently smiles and explains that Sweallow has learned to adapt to his curse by instantly accepting when things "break" and not wasting any time by mourning their loss. To spell that out in more abstract terms: a female character's horrific misfortune is used as a literal object to illustrate the hero's badass-yet-tragic emotional dysfunction, which is immediately praised as a noble if not downright sexy non-flaw by his love interest in a pretentious monologue. It's like an entire Type-Moon visual novel packed into a few short seconds! (Opinions on Nasu's work wildly differ, and if you feel differently about his writing, that's totally fine. I can only speak for myself. I'm not a fan.) Putting all that accidental subtext aside, this scene was totally meant to make Sweallow more sympathetic, and I think it had the opposite effect. "Sweallow is so awesome that he no longer feels a compulsion to grieve his loved ones! Isn't that cool?"

For all my lack of familiarity with Chaos Dragon itself, this example as it's written still feels like a forcibly damning "microcosm" of Nasu's character work. Granted, I may sympathize some with the 1st half of the abstracted microcosm-- on how a woman's misfortune is "used as a literal object to illustrate the hero's badass-yet-tragic emotional dysfunction." But then for the "dysfunction" to be called out as "noble and downright sexy" by another character? That's how the maid in Chaos Dragon sees it, okay, but I have to ask how this carries over to entirely Nasu-written works.

Is this distillation of the scene being used to characterize and further judge the character writing of, say, Shirou in Fate/stay night? If that's the case…. Either our perceptions of what his "dysfunction" is, or what the story's judgments of that dysfunction are, must strongly differ, because I've never found Shirou's brokenness to be vindicated, by neither the story nor the characters. (Looking in UBW specifically, not even Rin looks at his brokenness positively.) I'm sure the audience isn't intended to receive this brokenness as a non-flaw either. If F/sn's story ever seems to put this brokenness on a pedestal of some sort-- like in episode 20 of UBW, where that may seem so more than any other moment in the show-- it doesn't do unquestioningly.

If the Chaos Dragon anime approaches Swallow's lack of emotion unquestioningly, then fine, okay. But the argument that this scene could be a total microcosm of a Type-Moon visual novel, and yet another indicator of how awful Nasu is, feels wildly unfair, among other things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8