• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
If that's the case, then today's anime is going to be criticized for having the 2010's ingrained in it. Really?

If a series is so ingrained in the time in which it is made that it cannot be separated from that then yes, I think it's a fair criticism.

But please note that I also said that I didn't have a problem with it in this case.

As to why Sylia couldn't wear the suit anymore, I thought it was explained as spoiler[her brain chemistry had changed since the suit was originally attuned to her, so there were concerns about it being dangerous for her to wear it anymore.] It had nothing to do with her being "too old."

Hummm... I think I understand what you mean.

Wellm having in consideration the spoiler[ somewhat artificial nature of the Stingray family tree, it makes sense.]

On a sidenote... Key as in Key the Metal Idol? Sorry for asking. I haven't watched the anime.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Some of the best anime titles were released in the 90's

however this is not one of them..

I came into this series being a fan of the original BGC.. That said it was easy to pick this series apart back when ADV released it. Sylia comes off as Neurotic.. the dub cast consisted of the same stale voices that ADV always seemed to use in every series.. Nene for example her VA was in just about everything ADV put out.. so basically I'd hear her voice and be like dammit Nene! Changes to side characters.. Mackie for example.. The art style is most definitely late 90's early 2000's but that's not a bad thing.. in 15-20 years we'll be looking back on today's anime and thinking the same thing.

And what is not mentioned is that this series almost single handedly sunk ADV... this was in part due to a bidding war between Animego and ADV. Do some googling but ADV paid Big $$$ per episode for this series.. it never really hit it off and we ALL know what became of ADV..

All things considered.. I would rate this title as OK not great.. but I have seen much worse.. If your a fan of the cyber punk genre like the original BGC its worth checking out.... I own (I admit it) the first press of this series... I would not purchase it again..
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

Anyways, who'd hate 90's anime anyways? Utena, Evangelion, FLCL, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Nadesico, Cardcaptor Sakura, Now and Then Here and There, etc...

I'm even fond of titles probably nobody else here likes... Like say, Seraphim Call, Kaitou Saint Tail and Silent Mobius.

While some of the more popular ones are hit and miss with me, I adore Saint Tail....and always had an interest in Seraphim Call but never got around to seeing it.

And although BCT2040 isn't one that I've seen (really no interest lol) I do specifically remember the preview for it that came on one out of my handful of ADV tapes. That's nostalgic in itself. I always thought they (along with AnimeWorks) did previews for anime the best out of the other companies!
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
I am strangely fond of the opening song. I can hear it again and again and not get tired, and is probably the only song in the series I care for.
But yeah the show hasn't age well and even at the time I saw it (the early 2000's) was mostly a thing to pass time but not particularly memorable... and I always found the ending weird in a non satisfying way.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Some of the best anime titles were released in the 90's

however this is not one of them..

I came into this series being a fan of the original BGC.. That said it was easy to pick this series apart back when ADV released it. Sylia comes off as Neurotic.. the dub cast consisted of the same stale voices that ADV always seemed to use in every series.. Nene for example her VA was in just about everything ADV put out.. so basically I'd hear her voice and be like dammit Nene! Changes to side characters.. Mackie for example.. The art style is most definitely late 90's early 2000's but that's not a bad thing.. in 15-20 years we'll be looking back on today's anime and thinking the same thing.

And what is not mentioned is that this series almost single handedly sunk ADV... this was in part due to a bidding war between Animego and ADV. Do some googling but ADV paid Big $$$ per episode for this series.. it never really hit it off and we ALL know what became of ADV..

All things considered.. I would rate this title as OK not great.. but I have seen much worse.. If your a fan of the cyber punk genre like the original BGC its worth checking out.... I own (I admit it) the first press of this series... I would not purchase it again..

2040 is a far better story than the original BBC OVA. BBC had great music although some of it is really campy. Great animation but that is it. The story about Genom, the Boomers, Mason and Largo either isn't really explored or is dispatched so quickly as to make the characters ultimately useless.
I like the characters of 2040. Nene is the embodiement of a computer nerd. As for Sylia, well you would be neurotic if you had been experimented on as a child by your own father no less. Priss is the loner. And Linna is the ever idealist/optimist. The group in 2040 actually has a better chemistry and more realistic interactions than in BBC. As for the production values, well it is a tv series so you cannot expect the quality of an OVA from the golden age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4