• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami's Parasyte Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Kana Hanazawa's character I can see being played by Monica since both have been counterpart to each other in several shows.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
You gotta love when an anime gets dubbed well. And from the look of the trailer, this dub looks pretty spot on!! I'm excited!
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Most people don't know enough Japanese to tell with discriminating palate

Of course they don't. Sub purists primarily consist of ignorant people who claim Japanese is superior because "it sounds better with yelling". They're no experts since all they rely on is fansubs and a very narrow and made up line of thinking to support their weak claims.
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Sub purists primarily consist of ignorant people who claim Japanese is superior because "it sounds better with yelling". They're no experts since all they rely on is fansubs and a very narrow and made up line of thinking to support their weak claims.

Or, like me, they're people who wish to watch a programme as close to its original intent as possible, and the soundtrack is a huge part of that. I wouldn't watch a French film dubbed, and I wouldn't watch an English film in Japanese. Subtitles are the closest I can get to seeing the director's original vision, and I read and process them unconsciouslessly after two decades of being an anime fan, so it's no effort at all.

People like what they like, but just because they have the opposite opinion to you doesn't make them ignorant or wrong.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kana Hanazawa's character I can see being played by Monica since both have been counterpart to each other in several shows.

considering that this is a sentai release and not a funimation release,its quite possible they might have monica as kana. then again, it can be the same for miss luci. so its pretty much a toss up at this point. that or they might just wing it & use the cast from akame ga kill for this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
People like what they like, but just because they have the opposite opinion to you doesn't make them ignorant or wrong.

No, that's not how it is. The majority of them generally get very noisy and obnoxious about it online, to the point it turns into a circus. Plus I'm not talking about films with live actors (those should be enjoyed in their original language obviously; I have no love for English dubbed Japanese Godzilla films). It's not because they "have the opposite opinion". The ones I've dealt with have given some of the poorest reasons for preferring it in Japanese. I'm also not joking when I pointed out one of the reasons was "it sounds better with yelling". I really have seen this justification and they seriously claim it's a legitimate reason.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
@Manwards

1. False equivalence is false. Do not compare dubbing of anime (which doesn't have proper mouth movements and are drawings) to live action films (in which acting is more than delivery, but facial expressions and movements)

2. No they're not. The director never intended for you to watch the film in subtitles. Besides, media is interpretative. It's not about the director, but about your experiences and what you perceive something to be.

Try again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3