• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1st Kizumonogatari Film Listed as 60 Minutes Long by Theater

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

AoA pricing for monogatari blu rays are still price high. On newer shows they gotten better on releasing different sets other than limited editions but with monogatari your out of luck all come in limited edition or nothing. Bakemonogatari is 160 for 15 episodes and newer vols are 50 for 4 episodes or 60 for 5-6 episodes per vol. They also stop doing the character commentary after the bakemonogatari set even though the japanese sets all character commentary tracks on each episode on the whole show of monogatari. Were they to lazy to subtitle it or just afraid that japanese people would import the cheaper western set if it had character commentary like their sets.

Going by the Madoka movie limited edition set I think these movies will be at the 70-80 dollar mark on AoA

Their Madoka Rebellion set is $70 on rightstuf for a runtime of 116 minutes. Their standard pricing seems to be roughly $10-$13 per episode(or 25 minutes, if you prefer). All of their monogatari releases fit in line with that, as most of the arcs are either $50 or $60. If there is a chipboard artbox, it's generally another $10 over that. But no, it's not going to be that high. You're blowing it out of proportion by quite a bit.

Here are some other movie releases from them, to look at:

-Madoka compilation films LE dual pack: 241 minutes $80
-Expelled From Paradise LE: 104 minutes $50
-Anohana Movie CE(OST and poster): 99 minutes $60
-Blue Exorcist LE(chipboard artbox): 88 minutes $70

If they give us a 60 minute movie, we're going to be paying about $40-$50 for it. Even in the extremely unlikely event that they decide to go with a chipboard artbox, or have some other really nice extras, like the OST, we won't be paying more than $60. I don't expect a regular edition for these movies, since they have not done that with any monogatari in the past, but highly doubt it's going to run more than that.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their Madoka Rebellion set is $70 on rightstuf for a runtime of 116 minutes. Their standard pricing seems to be roughly $10-$13 per episode(or 25 minutes, if you prefer). All of their monogatari releases fit in line with that, as most of the arcs are either $50 or $60. If there is a chipboard artbox, it's generally another $10 over that. But no, it's not going to be that high. You're blowing it out of proportion by quite a bit.

Here are some other movie releases from them, to look at:

-Madoka compilation films LE dual pack: 241 minutes $80
-Expelled From Paradise LE: 104 minutes $50
-Anohana Movie CE(OST and poster): 99 minutes $60
-Blue Exorcist LE(chipboard artbox): 88 minutes $70

If they give us a 60 minute movie, we're going to be paying about $40-$50 for it. Even in the extremely unlikely event that they decide to go with a chipboard artbox, or have some other really nice extras, like the OST, we won't be paying more than $60. I don't expect a regular edition for these movies, since they have not done that with any monogatari in the past, but highly doubt it's going to run more than that.

You missed my point. I said I don't like how AoA is handling the Monogatari titles over some others. After nisemonogatari they stop with chipboard boxes and charge to slipcover vols that don't stand on their own. I bought all the monogatari titles out so far and nekomonogatari to tskumonogatari look out of places beside the nice bakemonogatari and nisemonogatari chipboards and the missing disc extras after bakemonogatari set is a let down. This is the only way you can get it though L.E with monogatari. Shows like sao, kill la kill, madoka all have a blu ray standard edition for people who don't want slipcovers for an extra 10 dollars.

Oh the new sao 2 vol 3 set which I bought is 60 dollars for 3 episodes thats 20 dollars per. Its my fav box art out of all the sets sucks I had to pay that much for it because they need to arc each vol and not just throw the 3 extra episodes on the last vol and up it 30 more dollars. The 60 dollar sao 3 vol is still a better deal than what you get from nekomonogatari-onward. Sao you get a dub and sub track, commentary tracks, soundtrack or cd drama and if you don't want all that you can by a standard blu ray or dvd of the vol for cheaper unlike monogatari.

This movie is being hype up alot and its been waited on for so long I feel they can go over their normal pricing like Madoka movie 3 price only 10 dollars less than the first 2 movies together.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

You missed my point. I said I don't like how AoA is handling the Monogatari titles over some others. After nisemonogatari they stop with chipboard boxes and charge to slipcover vols that don't stand on their own. I bought all the monogatari titles out so far and nekomonogatari to tskumonogatari look out of places beside the nice bakemonogatari and nisemonogatari chipboards and the missing disc extras after bakemonogatari set is a let down. This is the only way you can get it though L.E with monogatari. Shows like sao, kill la kill, madoka all have a blu ray standard edition for people who don't want slipcovers for an extra 10 dollars.

Oh the new sao 2 vol 3 set which I bought is 60 dollars for 3 episodes thats 20 dollars per. Its my favorite box art out of all the sets sucks I had to pay that much for it because they need to arc each vol and not just throw the 3 extra episodes on the last vol and up it 30 more dollars. The 60 dollar sao 3 vol is still a better deal than what you get from nekomonogatari-onward. Sao you get a dub and sub track, commentary tracks, soundtrack or cd drama and if you don't want all that you can by a standard blu ray or dvd of the vol for cheaper unlike monogatari.

This movie is being hype up alot and its been waited on for so long I feel they can go over their normal pricing like Madoka movie 3 price only 10 dollars less than the first 2 movies together.

I didn't miss your point, I was just specifically addressing your comment on the price and just ignored the rest of your comment because I pretty much agree with it. Wink I definitely prefer the Chipboard boxes that they did for Bake and Nise. I wish they would have kept up with those. It's really annoying when you have these totally different sized releases right next to each other. But I'm not super unhappy with what they've done since then. Sure there isn't a standard edition for them, but based on what I've seen from the monogatari fandom, the vast majority don't really want a standard edition anyway. Those SAO sets are more money because of the chipboard artbox and the extras. I don't really think it's a better deal than the Monogatari sets, but it is definitely a good deal for that high quality set.

That Rebellion set was really nice though. I wouldn't complain if they gave it a release that nice, but I really don't see it happening if the length really is just 60 minutes. And this series doesn't have the popularity of Madoka in the US, at all, so I don't see them going quite that fancy on it. I'm expecting a release like Expelled From Paradise, and the rest of the Monogatari arc volumes. Nothing too fancy, some postcards, a foldable poster, a slipcase with original art by Akio Watanabe, the Blu-ray. Store price of $50 on rightstuf.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't miss your point, I was just specifically addressing your comment on the price and just ignored the rest of your comment because I pretty much agree with it. Wink I definitely prefer the Chipboard boxes that they did for Bake and Nise. I wish they would have kept up with those. It's really annoying when you have these totally different sized releases right next to each other. But I'm not super unhappy with what they've done since then. Sure there isn't a standard edition for them, but based on what I've seen from the monogatari fandom, the vast majority don't really want a standard edition anyway. Those SAO sets are more money because of the chipboard artbox and the extras. I don't really think it's a better deal than the Monogatari sets, but it is definitely a good deal for that high quality set.

That Rebellion set was really nice though. I wouldn't complain if they gave it a release that nice, but I really don't see it happening if the length really is just 60 minutes. And this series doesn't have the popularity of Madoka in the US, at all, so I don't see them going quite that fancy on it. I'm expecting a release like Expelled From Paradise, and the rest of the Monogatari arc volumes. Nothing too fancy, some postcards, a foldable poster, a slipcase with original art by Akio Watanabe, the Blu-ray. Store price of $50 on rightstuf.

Ah yes I like what they did with rebellion movie set as well nice colorful shiny box with a dub and nice soundtrack. I bought it along with the 2 recaps mainly because I couldn't get the tv limited editions when they came out. I was luck enough to get the sao vols before they went out of print vol 3 the sister arc sold out pretty quick. Thats one thing about AoA they never go down in valve and if you ever sell your sets youll make your money back or more.

I will no matter the price get this movie and the 2 others that hopefully come out near this movie release. 6 months apart from each other if we are lucky. I just order the Kizumonogatari light novel in english that just came out from rightstuf. Looking forward on reading it and I hope Vertical puts out all the rest in english in time.

I haven't watched Owarimonogatari yet but its 12 episodes for the whole arc or is it broken down in mini arcs? If its all in one we might get a big release like bake and nisemonogatari because they like doing per arc releases.

Only show I like but won't buy from AoA is nisekoi. They barebones this release and did the vols to start with only sub. Its a simple romcomedy they could of dub it or did more then 4 to 5 episodes per disc. I choose to speak with my money on that release even though I like the show. I was alrdy 300 dollars in monogatari before they did the switch to slipcover vols. Too deep in to stop. I thought they were done with the whole chipboard box releases but was shock to see sao 2 and fate ubw both get nice releases from AoA They just short hand their other shows for idk reasons.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

Ah yes I like what they did with rebellion movie set as well nice colorful shiny box with a dub and nice soundtrack. I bought it along with the 2 recaps mainly because I couldn't get the tv limited editions when they came out. I was luck enough to get the sao vols before they went out of print vol 3 the sister arc sold out pretty quick. Thats one thing about AoA they never go down in valve and if you ever sell your sets youll make your money back or more.

So true. I never really worry about spending money on AoA stuff because of that. They maintain value really well, unless you trash them. I actually had to do the same thing with the Madoka release. A friend of mine sold me the LE TV series volumes for a really good price later on, but for a while I just had the movies.

Quote:
I will no matter the price get this movie and the 2 others that hopefully come out near this movie release. 6 months apart from each other if we are lucky. I just order the Kizumonogatari light novel in english that just came out from rightstuf. Looking forward on reading it and I hope Vertical puts out all the rest in english in time.

6 months wouldn't be too bad. I hope it's not much further apart than that though. Even as long as I've been waiting, now that we have a release for the first movie I'm way too eager to get my hands on all 3 of them. Laughing My Kizumonogatari LN is actually supposed to arrive today! I'm pretty excited for that. It's my first LN purchase, so this'll be fun. I'll probably get SNAFU soon as my second.

Quote:

I haven't watched Owarimonogatari yet but its 12 episodes for the whole arc or is it broken down in mini arcs? If its all in one we might get a big release like bake and nisemonogatari because they like doing per arc releases.

It's split into the arcs, but so far, the first episode was Ougi's main introduction, and then the next 5 episodes were the first actual arc(Sodachi Riddle), and then the rest of the series has been Shinobu mail. So I'm not sure how they'll split it up. They will probably either split it into two extra large volumes, or give us a box set. Not really sure what to expect from that.

Quote:
Only show I like but won't buy from AoA is nisekoi. They barebones this release and did the vols to start with only sub. Its a simple romcomedy they could of dub it or did more then 4 to 5 episodes per disc. I choose to speak with my money on that release even though I like the show. I was alrdy 300 dollars in monogatari before they did the switch to slipcover vols. Too deep in to stop. I thought they were done with the whole chipboard box releases but was shock to see sao 2 and fate ubw both get nice releases from AoA They just short hand their other shows for idk reasons.

They seem to be taking the strategy of only giving the really nice releases to their top sellers and then pretty much screwing everything else. Which makes sense, but is a little frustrating... Sad
I also refused to get Nisekoi because of that. I didn't like the release, and even though I enjoyed the show, I wanted a chipboard artbox release for it. Not those volumes. I think a lot of people did that like us, because those sets didn't seem to sell all that well for them.
What I'm mostly worried about now is that they have been seemingly hoarding their shows now. They pick up a good bit every season, but only release a few of them and just sort of hold onto those other licenses. They don't seem to have any plans to release a lot of their backlog, but they won't let anyone else have those shows either, obviously, so it's sort of like they are just trying to punish us. I really would love to own Mushi-shi, and several of their other shows on Blu-ray, but they are just going to monopolize those properties until they are old and forgotten, I guess. As a collector, that really pisses me off. Evil or Very Mad
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

Owarimonogatari is the first title since Nisemonogatari in the monogatari series that had the same title for multiple novels, allowing a production to have that title. The others were individual novels, meaning Aniplex of Japan wanted them to be released separately internationally (and each title had 2 Japanese volumes).

Owari will likely be two sets at minimum:
The first would contain Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, and Sodachi Lost (7 parts).
The second would contain the 6 parts of Shinobu Mail.

In Japan, each of the first three arcs has its own BD/DVD volume and Shinobu Mail is split into two volumes for a total of 5.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
6 months wouldn't be too bad. I hope it's not much further apart than that though. Even as long as I've been waiting, now that we have a release for the first movie I'm way too eager to get my hands on all 3 of them. Laughing My Kizumonogatari LN is actually supposed to arrive today! I'm pretty excited for that. It's my first LN purchase, so this'll be fun. I'll probably get SNAFU soon as my second.

Mine is coming Thursday or Friday looking forward too it alot 272 pages is a nice amount. I like the new art thats on the cover as well Shinobu looking badass infront of a berserk hanging tree lol other than the japanese cover where she's very fanserves rape "battle dmg" looking. This is my 2nd light novel my first was welcome to the nhk "hints my nhk in my screenname" It was the first anime that got me back into new shows. I drop off before when toonami die the first time. Saw it on youtube back when the copyright takedowns wasn't enforce like today. I was hook after the first episode and even though the last episode was great and a fitting end to the show. I craved more so looked for the LN and Manga hearing all three where a bit different than each other.

Quote:
What I'm mostly worried about now is that they have been seemingly hoarding their shows now. They pick up a good bit every season, but only release a few of them and just sort of hold onto those other licenses. They don't seem to have any plans to release a lot of their backlog, but they won't let anyone else have those shows either, obviously, so it's sort of like they are just trying to punish us. I really would love to own Mushi-shi, and several of their other shows on Blu-ray, but they are just going to monopolize those properties until they are old and forgotten, I guess. As a collector, that really pisses me off. Evil or Very Mad

Yes they still haven't said anything about a release of Nanana’s Buried Treasure or Mekakucity Actors both shows I liked alot and would like to own. Your lie in april one of my fav shows of this year is getting a dub. Thats a nice sign and hopefully they give it the sao type of a release I would pay extra for a nice release.

I don't mine AoA but really dislike Ponycan. Their releases are so ugly, the extras very cheap look 10 page booklet and over sized art card, The huge dvd case looks so out of place alot worst the nisa long box old releases. Also they do the 3-4 eps vols but for 70-80 dollars its not worth it. I hope none of the shows I like get in their hands so far I been lucky.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:

Mine is coming Thursday or Friday looking forward too it alot 272 pages is a nice amount. I like the new art thats on the cover as well Shinobu looking badass infront of a berserk hanging tree lol other than the japanese cover where she's very fanserves rape "battle dmg" looking. This is my 2nd light novel my first was welcome to the nhk "hints my nhk in my screenname" It was the first anime that got me back into new shows. I drop off before when toonami die the first time. Saw it on youtube back when the copyright takedowns wasn't enforce like today. I was hook after the first episode and even though the last episode was great and a fitting end to the show. I craved more so looked for the LN and Manga hearing all three where a bit different than each other.

NHK is great! I have heard that the manga is a lot darker than the anime even. I didn't even know there was a LN series for it.
The Kizumonogatari book looks really fantastic. Love the cover art, and yeah, it's a pretty good size. Very Happy

Quote:

Your lie in april one of my favorite shows of this year is getting a dub. Thats a nice sign and hopefully they give it the sao type of a release I would pay extra for a nice release.
Quote:

Yep! I would totally pay out the butt for a good Your Lie In April release. That one seems to be on its way soon, so at least they are giving us some shows still, haha. I'll definitely be buying that one. And I would get Nanana as well, if they ever released that.

I don't mine AoA but really dislike Ponycan. Their releases are so ugly, the extras very cheap look 10 page booklet and over sized art card, The huge dvd case looks so out of place alot worst the nisa long box old releases. Also they do the 3-4 eps vols but for 70-80 dollars its not worth it. I hope none of the shows I like get in their hands so far I been lucky.

I don't dislike AoAs releases or pricing, I just really have an issue with them holding onto so many shows that any other publisher would release and could easily turn a profit on. I wouldn't blame them if they were poorly made and super niche shows, but most of them are mid-to-high budget, and fairly popular. Aniplex makes some strange business decisions that I can't understand. I wish I had an easier way of communicating with them. They are pretty much non-existent on social media too.
PonyCan is definitely the one that needs to re-evaluate. I just hope they don't do the AoA thing, and start hoarding their titles. Unfortunately I have really liked a couple of their shows, I bought Yuki Yuna, but, yeah, their releases are kind of ugly and the amount of content is pretty pitiful. Yuki Yuna didn't even come with a full OST. It was just a couple of remixed songs. Really lame. Sad
I really hope they change things up. Sound!Euphonium is on my wishlist, but they are taking their time on that one. I hope they don't decide to leave the market before putting it out.

Sorry if this is getting too off-topic mods. Embarassed
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NHK is great! I have heard that the manga is a lot darker than the anime even. I didn't even know there was a LN series for it.
The Kizumonogatari book looks really fantastic. Love the cover art, and yeah, it's a pretty good size. Very Happy

Yes sorry for going little off topic but heres a rightstuf link to welcome to the nhk novel http://www.rightstufanime.com/Welcome-to-the-NHK-Novel-248-pgs Its a more realistic telling of the story and very dark not so much comedy like the anime and manga. The Manga on the other hand is a great mix of the the two novel and anime where you get the drug use that explain why he talks to his house furniture. By I think the 4th vol half way point it like a season 2 of the anime theres alot more too it and you get to see the characters have alot different endings. I'm shock rightstuf still has it in stock its old tokyo pop
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
Quote:

Yes sorry for going little off topic but heres a rightstuf link to welcome to the nhk novel http://www.rightstufanime.com/Welcome-to-the-NHK-Novel-248-pgs Its a more realistic telling of the story and very dark not so much comedy like the anime and manga. The Manga on the other hand is a great mix of the the two novel and anime where you get the drug use that explain why he talks to his house furniture. By I think the 4th vol half way point it like a season 2 of the anime theres alot more too it and you get to see the characters have alot different endings. I'm shock rightstuf still has it in stock its old tokyo pop

Thanks a lot! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2